NVIDIA G-Sync review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 12, 2013.

1. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You run your CRT at 100Hz Pill. I have no issue with tearing @ 110Hz. @60Hz tearing can be very visible and distracting.

2. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I see, though that doesn't really makes sense to me.

As G-Sync still delays actual refresh, to coincide with a frame being ready, that has to introduce more lag than simply forcing updates at the normal refresh rate of the monitor.

I'm willing to believe G-Sync is better than V-Sync in this regard, at least if you have the GPU grunt to run close to the refresh rate of the monitor, but it seems far-fetched that it would be as good as V-Sync off.

Still, I get that is Nvidia's stance ATM and until I see a good review exploring this I suppose that's as much information we'll get on the subject.
    Agreed, and thanks for the tip.

More reviews are sure to follow in the coming days/weeks, and as more displays enter the market, so fingers crossed! :)
    I must have completely glossed over any reference in the review then.

I don't see how it remove input lag from the display itself though, aside from working around the limitations of what V-Sync introduces.

Electronics is electronics, there's going to be input lag.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah I know, I said in my earlier post it's great for those with 60Hz monitors or tearing issues, but not so much for the 72Hz/120Hz/144Hz owners or others who don't have tearing.

That little bit of info seems to be missing in most reviews I've seen online......

I've never used vsync as long as I've been gaming, which is a long time. Even with 60Hz I disabled it....never noticed it tbh, not enough annoy me at least.

It's not that unusual, many quake/unreal/CS players never ran vsync back in the late 90's....

Btw I don't understand how you're connecting frame rate with screen tearing.....why do you say it's less noticeable at higher fps/refresh rate?

Afaik, if each frame was displayed for a lesser time with higher fps, tearing could (theoretically) still be visible if it was present in consecutive frames.....

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Hilbert says it on the conclusion page under Advantages last paragraph in the section...

All electronic have input lag in some way, but we talking Vsync input lag vs Gsync which Hilbert stats is gone

Obviously there be some there with no vsycn vs gsync. This tech is great for the people that use vsync but if you one those poeple that dont use vsync to begin with it dont mater what you think cause the tech wasnt made for you.

It was made for the people wont game without vsync due to tear. To us the tech is best thing to come out in long time. no tearing no performance hit either.

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Well, you've been using that 100Hz CRT since forever too lol

Higher FPS at higher refresh rates will have less tearing. There is less difference between each two frames and frames are now less out of sync with the monitor than at 60Hz, hence much less tearing.

In some cases it's drastic. A situation of pretty visible tearing at 60Hz and almost no tearlines seen at 110Hz.

There is still tearing. There is no way you could completely eliminate tearing except by having the GPU and monitor in sync. VSync does that GPU ---> monitor, GSync does that monitor ---> GPU. Syncing to a constant clock was never a good practice to begin with, but it was required by CRT electron guns. Now it is not.

All they have to do now is to figure out a good way to strobe the backlight to eliminate motion blur with this variable refresh rate, couple that with a good IPS panel with hopefully low enough pixel response, and you've got a winner.

7. Rugburn

Rugburn Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3
    vg248qe has a price tag of about $270.. This essentially doubles that price.. Not worth it.

8. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    It won't be long before someone mods the graphics drivers to connect G-sync to AMD graphics cards. :flip2:

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    They'll bury my CRT's with me. :p Tbh I'll prob upgrade next year...

Hilbert pm'd me regarding some Korean monitor he got on amazon, I forget the name but I checked it out and shipping costs are quite high to NZ....so I'm undecided as yet.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Hmmm you have the Qnix QX2710, most sellers ship worldwide. If motion blur on non-LightBoost LCDs does not bother you, I say go for it. Needs pixel-pushing power though as it's 1440p.

On the other hand, if you don't, your eyes might burn out :nerd:

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Kepler GPUs have programmable display output controllers. G-Sync is not supported on Nvidia GPUs before Kepler and I believe it is pretty much impossible to mod such a complex technology (as indicated by the G-Sync module) to work with AMD cards except if those have programmable display output controllers too. Then, good luck being able to reverse-engineer those and programming them.

12. Tarkan2467

Tarkan2467 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    Agree with this, the $400 price rumor has been abound. Suddenly revealing a $600 price point is going to scare too many off. Crossing my fingers that this is indeed wrong.

I have the Asus monitor and want the DIY kit. I'm bracing for a $150 price. I'm excited about this tech, but if it's higher than that, I will probably wait too.

13. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Have to go NV, doesn't bother me one bit. Have to get a new monitor, no probs (as long as its 1440p, 120hz+, IPS, LED). Costs more... no avoiding it. I realize also that prices are always higher for new tech and will go down. As an enthusiast, If your that worried about an extra few hundred dollars for impressive new technology, then why are you one to begin with.

I see absolutely zero things negative about this tech. Looks incredible, can't wait!

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    ^^^^Isnt it limited to TN panels and 60hz?

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Nope.

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Wow, awesome.

17. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Not at all, but I find it hard to believe that the industry has finally realized that TN with 120hz or 60hz is HORRIBLE.

Will see next year... :)

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
  19. Klapcos

Klapcos Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti @1.5Ghz
    Already own a Asus VG248QE 144Hz so getting this is a no brainer (modkit). Finally a company that stepped up to change this aging problem!
    Any PC Enthusiast who cares about PC Gaming will get this no doubt.
    Plus it's already said they will built and incorporate this into IPS/LED panels higher than 1080p resolutions next year so win - win.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    No winning at this price. Imagine a 1440p pls 120hz screen, what will it cost?