Gamingwise which is better 8.1 or 7?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by J.B.west, Dec 7, 2013.

1. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    If people are making performance comparisons between OS's then it needs to involve a constant. If somebody is running W7 off an SSD and they are moving to W8 purely because somebody says it boots faster on their HDD then, well, the obvious.

2. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    people keep saying all there steam games play with no problem......

what about non steam retail games.

and why should I have to use hacked ddraw to make a 13 year old game work, that had no problems on windows 7.

apperently some people dont know the outside world from steam.

other then that. I like window 8.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    But we're not talking about boot times, we're talking about gaming performance

And comparisons would be made from people who were running 7 and upgraded to 8.1 regardless of their drive type

4. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    On my rigs,
    If W8 done the things that W7 does but noticeably better with no drawbacks then id change, but it doesn't, so I haven't.

5. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    The OP mentioned boot times in post 5.

6. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    I can say all Games that i had prev. installed on Win7 working better on Win 8.1

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    +1
    The only game i seen run any better was BF4 other than that all other games was the same.
    I must use classic shell, i couldnt use Windows 8.1 without it if im honest other than that all is good.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  8. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    +1 for me to i can say that Win 8.1 is a good OS for gaming at at least the same level as Win 7, but for the games that come 8.1 will be better (BF4 is the first in the list, works better on 8.1 that on 7).
    As for the people that say that old game have compatibility problems on 8.x and on 7 they work fine show me one of them.
    I can understand people that don't like a OS for the new UI, but to instal an OS for 1 week and say is bad is just like you say i can play professional pool after just a week of play. :bang:

9. sent3D

sent3D Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD7850 1GB 1150/1300
    Same here, everything is running just fine with Windows 8.1.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    basically OP, there's a few minor incompatibilities with win8.1, the last game I can think off that won't work outright is Assetto Corsa, but that works with win7 compatibility (think even win8). Also, there's a few programs that won't work atm, I still can't get Raxco Perfectdisk to run. but other than that it's great and the fixes will come.

11. boom12a1

boom12a1 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3060XC 12 GB
    I had 2 games that had major problem in windows 8. DeusEx and Rally championship 2000. I was able to fix DeusEx with the DX10 patch, but no fix for RC2000, I can only get that game to run at 30 fps. I'm sure there are other games that have issue.
    That is one of the only reason I'm still double booting.

As for the question in the OP, when games are running without issues, they run as good in Win 8, 8.1 or 7. Mind you I only play about 15 games so a more limited amount, only 1 games is causing an issue.

12. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    just throwing some benchmarks out there

couple weeks ago I did pcmark 8 bench, and while gaming score where the same if not more in windows 8, other test in windows 8 where higher then windows 7

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/pcm8cre/7538/pcm8cre/7536

I gained about 300points in windows 8

3dmark also show increased scores in windows 8.

edit:

also if you own games that where made from yoyo game maker. there might be some issues with the games if they didnt update the game with the newer game maker.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  13. ElFishoIII

ElFishoIII Guest

The only games I've had any problems with on Win 8/8.1 were MLB 2k12 and BioShock. Turns out MLB needed a patch (which they surprisingly issued) and Bioshock is just a bitch of a game (the issues were sound related and also present in Win 7/Vista). So really, gaming-wise I haven't had problems. I also play plenty of old school games but I should note that Win8x64 does not natively support 16 bit apps. So if you're playing any REALLY old stuff that isn't DOS based you're gonna have to look into VMWare or dual boot with an OS that supports 16 bit.

14. triskele10

triskele10 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX660TI PE
    AC works fine with w8.1, never noticed 1 problem.

15. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    DOSBox ftw!

16. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    the version on dosbox version listed on the website and provided with steam and gog has issues with windows 8. some people people say it works fine, while other says it doesnt work well, freezes. hangs, opengl not working sometimes. or runs slow.

the SVN builds work fine in windows 8, but gog already said they wont update the game with the SVN builds.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  17. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    I can only speak from my personal experience. And even though Windows 7 is great for gaming, I've got no problems whatsoever with Windows 8.1.

I believe that, ultimately, it's more of a personal choice and taste than anything. That being said, if you're going to assemble an SSD, it's far better to go with the Win 8/8.1.

Greetings.

18. J.B.west

J.B.west Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660ti
    I ended up installing 8.1 and I gotta say I see a giant improvement in bf4 performance.
    With 7 my bf4 settings were medium at best but now Im able to play on ultra with much smoothness!! And im liking 8.1 as well.

19. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    Just done an upgrade to win8 then 8.1 from my win7 pro.

I've the original Mafia game in Steam and no way could I get it to work in win7 but it started straight up in win 8.1, I couldn't believe it.

I miss the familiarity of win7 but I'm sure I'll get the hang of 8.1 before long.

20. J.B.west

J.B.west Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660ti
    I dedicated a good chunk of my day to get familiar with 8.1 and customizing the apps on the start page, I have 8.1 booting right into my desktop and not to the start screen. I gotta say Im liking the transition very much