BF4 - How to enforce driver-level Ambient Occlusion?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Fabulist, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Fabulist

Fabulist Member

GPU:
    ROG STRIX OC 4080S
    Hello everyone,

So I never liked the HBAO implementation on Battlefield 3 & 4, due to the fact it looks a bit inaccurate and 'lively' in comparison to SSAO.

Inaccuracy example: Moving close to certain objects, more specifically walls, will create a shadow around the weapon which moves accordingly along with the weapon and in relation to the wall (moving away will have the same amount of shadowing instead of shrinking effect up to a point). The AO effect also appears as if it has lines of shadow (striping) rather being a more composite and complete shadowing effect as it should be.

Lively AO example: If for example we have 3 AO liable objects (x,y,z) only the x-AO liable object will flicker when it is either repositioned by the engine / game or is repositioned (on-screen) due to user movement. However, this is not the case in other games in which I used HBAO and I have only noticed this in Battlefield 3 & 4. Now, although SSAO works as it should and as AO is intended, it is not as rich, hence not as satisfying for me.

tldr:

My question is: can we enforce HBAO Quality (medium) or HBAO High Quality (high) through the Inspector in some way and see how the driver will handle it, or maybe even enforce HBAO+ if possible?

I bet someone would know what kind of profile changes have to be made in order to achieve this (e.g. determine Frostbite engine flags), since besides a list of Frostbite engine games I have absolutely no idea which settings I must change in the Inspector to make this happen and start performance / quality tests.

If anyone is interested on discussing this, I would appreciate it. Please note that this threads also exists elsewhere, and besides the Frostbite engine based games list I found no further assistance.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: "Now, although SSAO works as it should and as AO is intended" - Strike that, it just does not flicker as badly as HBAO and in as many areas.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    I`d like to know why in the nvidia Control applet, AO is aways greyed out..... and says "not supported for this application" for BF 4. Yet BF 4 supports AO. I can`t even use NVInspector to force it on.

3. Deasnutz

Deasnutz Guest

GPU:
    Titan X 12GB
    what makes you think the engine allows for other settings outside of the in game options? I'd think it's not even using Nvidia's HBAO implementation options.

4. Fabulist

Fabulist Member

GPU:
    ROG STRIX OC 4080S
    In order to force it on in games that NVIDIA's panel reports them as "not supported.." you will need to set the AO flags as well in the Inspector / game's profiles.

I am unaware of what you need set exactly, I am asking this myself too.

Because I have seen AO and other settings being forced in games before with the appropriate flags / profiles and I see no way the game's engine can BLOCK the driver or have a conflict assuming I have AO off in the game.

5. IamGODobeyORdie

IamGODobeyORdie Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 780@SLI & GTX 780M
    Because the game developers and nvidia´s driver team propably think its dumb to go enforce AO on games that already have it natively in the game engine? The AO setting in NV CP is mostly implemented so you can force AO on to games that doesnt have it built in natively?!

Also, forcing AO on games that already have it on ingame, first of all, will kill performance (no brainer), and can often cause issues, crashes, graphical glitches....

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  6. Fabulist

Fabulist Member

GPU:
    ROG STRIX OC 4080S
    Maybe, but how do we do it? :)

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    As far as I know there is no AO flags that would make it to work in Frostbite games. The new HBAO+ is quite broken in many games at the moment too.

8. Fabulist

Fabulist Member

GPU:
    ROG STRIX OC 4080S
    Really? So far AC4BF, BAO & TCSCB work really great with HBAO+, I was not aware of any issues.

In any case if anyone knows; I would still want to give this a try and attempt to go through the possible BF4 viable flags and test them out.

I wonder, does anybody else find BF3 / BF4s HBAO implementation just awful like I do?

9. suren

suren Guest

GPU:
    8gb
    I had the same issue

10. suren

suren Guest

GPU:
    8gb
    Interesting.

11. Fabulist

Fabulist Member

GPU:
    ROG STRIX OC 4080S
    Same issue as to what?

AO is broken on Battlefield 3 / 4 in general, it is not really "my" or "your" issue, it simply looks bad and I make this claim by seeing how AO looks across 7 different platforms and how it looks on people that upload their in-game videos, it is always the same and I doubt Nvidia can do anything about it.

I was really hopping I would get some guidance on how to alternatively implement AO through this thread, but, no budge :(

12. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    Yet they still advertise this game as having awesome HBAO etc.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Im using ingame SSAO, but yeah I noticed the same wall weapon glitch, imo kinda sloppy work.

hm, you can try 0x000E0000 (Crysis 3) flag - it has kinda "similar" geometry, landscape, smoke fx, deferred lightning.

Like so, but disable ingame AO.
    [​IMG]

my 2nd choice would be 0x00000026 (Warmonger) & 0x00000004 (Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare)

3rd, 0x00000002 (Mirror's Edge) & 0x00000021 (Gears of War)

EDIT: Ok i tried Crysis3 flag and it flickers on/off, so that's a no go.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  14. Fabulist

Fabulist Member

GPU:
    ROG STRIX OC 4080S
    It is not like they ever advertised the game's AA / AO capabilities specifically, and for a good reason.

Ah, and I started thinking I was crazy for a moment, 'glad' to see that others also think that the AO is cheaply implemented in this game.

I will go ahead and copy your settings from the screenshot you provided and initiate tests (assuming these are the settings I need to change, besides the flags, in order to make it work). Did you try any other profiles since Crysis 3's is not working properly?

PS: Sorry for cutting down your quote, forum wouldn't let post :bang:.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    nah i didnt test more, only Crysis3 flag so far and that was bugged flickered on/off very rapidly.

Edit:
    keep AO main settings as it is and try other flags..

I can't atm, also its kinda time consuming and im a bit lazy :D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014