Western Digital SSD and HDD Dual Drive Hybrid

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Western Digital announced the release of the WD Black2 dual drive, a unique storage innovation that fuses a 2.5-inch 120 GB solid state drive (SSD) with a 1 TB hard disk drive (HDD) to offer a powerf...

Western Digital SSD and HDD Dual Drive Hybrid

2. 2 drives 1 cable. I wonder how it will affect max read/write speed.

3. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Errrmm, what?

I clearly remember WD telling that its new hybrid Blacks will use special caching software... looks like either they couldn't get it working or the results were poor...
    I am not happy at all with such "solution" =(

Yes, this drive has some potential market, but its value is hugely diminished for me... Also - Jmicron controller... 2 available volumes over one connection... (I am not saying it will be saturated, I am more worried about the complexity of tech\firmware of doing so...)

Well, let's wait for benchmarks and reviews... also some benchmarks of available current SSD caching software will be nice...

Update: May be this Black^2 is simply another category of drives?... and we will see a "proper" Hybrid Black in the nearest future...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    $299 is too expensive. You can buy a 120GB SSD and 1TB mechanical, separately, for less.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I don't get hybrid drivers.

User himself knows better what frequent software he/she uses and what requires speed.
    Buying separate HDD/SSD as sykozis mentioned, makes much more sense.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    those 8gb ssd with 2tb drives at 120€ are pretty good for gaming imo. faster then traditional huge drives and way cheaper then ssd's by far and offer nice speed boost.

7. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
  8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    That's exactly it. I don't know why anybody would put them in desktops (unless it's some tiny mATX box), but I might be interested in getting one of these for my 15" laptop with only a single HD slot. But the price would need to be a bit more interesting, and partially for that reason 120+500 would be enough for me. Since I would just get a 250GB SSD otherwise, due to pricing and the fact I don't need so much space.

9. D1RTYD1Z619

D1RTYD1Z619 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Rumor has it that this is to thick to even fit in a laptops hdd bay.

10. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Yeah, But does your laptop have room for two hard drives? most don't.

Also, I can see this being a good solution for people with a PS4 once the price gets a little better. Well... that's if the PS4 will allow a drive like this to function.

11. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Rumor has it you just made that up out of thin air. If you read the article, it clearly says the drive fits in 9.5mm high locations.