XDSL router and repeater obtaining IP problem

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by NecroDemonNZXT, Nov 24, 2013.

1. NecroDemonNZXT

NecroDemonNZXT Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    Hello every1,

I have set up a new router for my new fast internet connection, but Im having some trouble with my TP-LINK WA730-RE V1 repeater. While it worked flawlessly with my sagem fast 2404 before, it doesnt with the new ZTE V931 XDSL router. The problem is that, while it is setup correctly and I can access my network with the laptop, every other device, a tablet an android smartphone and the TV cannot obtain IP address from the repeater. If I try to connect to root wifi router it works OK, but obtaining IP is not possible though the router, OTHER than the laptop which is the first thing I try to connect everytime I setup the repeater.

I have tried changing channels, WPA/WPA2 mode. Only thing I havent tried is setting WEP mode, because I wouldnt want to keep my network in WEP mode if I can set it right for WPA. DHCP is enabled in router but NOT in repeater, while my repeater has been given a static ip address, 192.168.1.254

Any help REALLY appreciated, because it's been driving me mad!

edit:

OK I tried channel 8 this time, tried to connect TV first, then laptop, then mobile. All OK. BUT, after trying to connect the tablet, which never connected, everything got screwed up again. Its as if every second device or so thats getting connected, messes up the DHCP, the addresses or whatever, and then it falls apart. I repeat, DHCP in repeater disabled, enabled in ZTE router.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. NecroDemonNZXT

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
  3. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Are you hard wired to the repeater from the new router?

4. NecroDemonNZXT

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    no the repeater is connected wirelessly to the router, if I could wire them I could just use it as an access point and try that as well

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Do you have a configuration page where you enter the password for the router?I've never used a setup where the extender wasn't hard wired to the main router reason I'm asking so I can understand how the repeater connects.

6. NecroDemonNZXT

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    The page that reads "OTE CONNEX" on top is the router one. The whole concept of a repeater is to extend your wireless connection, wirelessly... usually wiring is needed in the case of an access point which can be connected to a wired router not capable of WLAN, so you can create a WLAN.... and dont take me as a rude person, but if you dont know that stuff what suggestion can u possibly give me in order to fix my problem :p

7. NecroDemonNZXT

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    tried assigning mac addresses, tried fidling with DHCP settings.. none worked flawlessly as it should. im convinced that the router and this old TP link repeater cannot work together

8. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Well you know after figuring out many things that I didn't myself do personally I figured I would give it a shot as I understand basic networking but hey your on your own I'm out.Sorry

9. NecroDemonNZXT

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    Again:

Not trying to be rude, just really frustrated with this thing. Youd be surprised if you knew how many people have tried to help me to no avail, and your reply looked like u didnt know anything about basic networking. I mean dude, you couldnt tell apart the router from the repeater and they have names in the pics!!

10. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Whatever "dude".

11. NecroDemonNZXT

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    Just to prove that Im much more helpful and polite when Im not struggling with like 10 things at a time, ill let u in the solution, hopefully saving the trouble of other poor souls out there.

The problem lies in the communication of ZTE routers and repeaters, for whatever reason, ZTE routers(or at least the couple latest) cannot assign IP addresses to devices when trasmitting through a repeater, and the solution to this problem is ENABLING DHCP in the repeater as well!

Usually this is forbidden in order to avoid conflicts between routers and repeaters, but in this particular case its quite the opposite, it actually works flawlessly and is absolutely required. Thus, enter your repeater address, find the DHCP tab, enable it, assign an ip range that doesnt conflict with your router's or repeaters' and enjoy flawless local communication!

That little adjustment cost me 3 days of lost workload and a lot of headaches, but when I ask for help and you havent even cared to take the info from the pics I provided in order to help you help me without taking much of your time, its only inevitable that I might become agitated.

To sum it up, thanx for trying to help but plz don't become hostile with some1 just because they showed some frustration at an unhelpful answer; remember that while inappropriate, they most are most likely just having a bad day(s). In order to be able to come here and probably aid hundreds more with this single post, I have invested time in 3 local communities and asked for advice from hundred others.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  12. mikky7

mikky7 Guest

GPU:
    dear i have a question tha "Are you hard wired to the repeater from the new router...?"

---------------------------
    Smile PlzZZzzz…(Usman Malik)…!!!
    in post

13. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I wasn't going to bother responding to you anymore but since buddy above decided it was funny to poke at you a bit I thought I would just say something.I understand how things at times get frustrating but to respond with hostility to a response that was given from someones free time that doesn't owe you anything is rude even if it was in your words unhelpful.In the future if you are going to ask for help and post pictures of said problem try to resize the pictures so they don't have to sidescroll to even see them.It makes the whole thread out of whack and they even have to sidescroll to read your answers.You were the hostile one and I personally didn't give a SHxx one way or another.Have a good day.Edit: since the solution being opposite of what one would imagine it was probably somewhere in the documentation.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013