ASUS R270x no sound after gfx card install

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by MarkosDL, Nov 18, 2013.

1. MarkosDL

MarkosDL Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6750XT Dual OC
    ASUS R9 270x no sound after gfx card install

*I dont know if this is where i am suppose to post this, but since it happened after i installed a new gfx card i'll start here and if its not the right place then i ask for a mod to move it to the correct place.*

So i bought a new R270x card and installed it today. I had no sound afterwards at all. Made a fresh windows install and still no sound. I have disabled the onboard device audio of the motherboard since i use a Sound Blaster Z. It is not listed anywhere in the control panel and when i tried to install the drivers for it they couldnt detect it.I will try enabling the HD audio of the motherboard to see if that one is detected. However any ideas before i go back into popping up the machine and messing with it in an effort to fix it would be welcomed.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  2. dmitrice

dmitrice Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 8GB
    Its likely using the on-chip audio of the graphics card. Switch back to the sound blaster z using the playback device option of the volume icon on the notification area.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    270x doesn't have TrueAudio if that's what you're reffering to dmitrice. OP, check your bios settings for PCI-E slots, you might have the one you have the Xonar in disabled.

4. MarkosDL

MarkosDL Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6750XT Dual OC
    Will check that, good idea. (btw its a Sound Blaster Z, got old info in the profile :p ) Motherboard audio does work normal btw.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    My bet is the pci-e slot you're using for the Z is disabled in bios

6. MarkosDL

MarkosDL Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6750XT Dual OC
    Could be but from a quick look i gave to it it doesnt seem like anything is disabled, then again the mobo bios dont really help. Anyway will check again tommorow with a rested mind. I got so occupied with the sound problems that i haven't even tested the card on a game yet.

Will let you know if i come up with anything.

7. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Doubt this helps but:
    I lost audio when I hooked in a headphone jack to my PC's mobo, instead of using the HDMI coming out of my 5870. ...I had to go to Volume Control Options (the sound icon on the task bar), and un-check the box for the "AMD HDMI output."

8. brighamcalvert

brighamcalvert Guest

GPU:
    SAD
    Thanks for sharing information.

9. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    lol, I've been without sound for 2 days, ever since I got my 290. ...I probably just need to update my motherboard's audio drivers, but am too lazy :\ I'll probably just pull out my A/V receiver and plug that in, along with my Xbox and cable TV. So whatever. Did you ever get any sound?

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Control Panel > Sound > And click your preferred device by right mouse button and make "Default".
    Since you have card which can pas audio through DHMI and you may have LCD without speakers it still can pass audio there.

11. MarkosDL

MarkosDL Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6750XT Dual OC
    Sorry for not posting anything these couple of days. Didnt found anything that would indicate my PCI/PCI-E slots are disabled. I used the second PCI-E slot for the sound card since one of the PCI slots is busted and the second one is covered by the GFx card cooler and for some reason it (graphics card) refuses to work in the second PCI-E slot even when i switch to it from the BIOS (a problem i always had with any card on this mobo lol). Anyway, up until the installation of the new card it worked just fine now i cant even get the system to detect it. I gave up trying and settled for the mobo sound chipset until i decide to get bk to it.

@Acidsnow Update drivers, check if for some reason the sound of the motherboard got disabled and do as Fox suggests