SweetFX Shader Suite release and discussion thread #4

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CeeJay.dk, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Welcome to the forum :)

What does it do? and could you explain the ideas behind it - and the DPX shader?

From the code it looks like it does gamma per component and then does a complex contrast curve .. also per component.

This might be something that SweetFX can already do by using
    gamma and curves, but I don't know until I've checked the math.

Humus has written a good article/slideshow on how to optimize shaders here : http://humus.name/index.php?page=Articles&ID=6

If I was to optimize this I'd start with cleaning up the code and simplifying what I could. You split calculations up so they are per component, while I prefer to vectorize as it results in much simpler looking code. I did this to the DPX shader as well.

I have also been thinking of replacing the math in DPX with a lookup texture which should make it much faster. I couldn't use LUTs before , but in eFX 2.0 I can load custom textures which can be used for LUTs.

I already have some of the ideas here planned for SweetFX 2.0 - the custom borders are easy to do with eFX.

It's easy to make some.

No, it applies it to angles that are close to 90 degrees - corners.
    This makes them rounded. I have it turned off in the default settings because it affects text too much for my taste.

This form of dithering was also used in many arcades as a lot of them used to run on modified 3dfx hardware.

It's a subtle and very specific look that many probably won't remember or be nostalgic for, but from the screenshots it looks like it indeed works. Nice work leilei.

I also have some (disabled) color reduction code in the Dither shader that I used to test some of the new dither modes I was working on. I may return to this code later and make it an actual feature.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. Scarecrow7

Scarecrow7 Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3GB
    FEAR 3 don't work with SweetFX 1.5.1 under DX11 (people says that it works under DX9, but not tested yet). It works with RadeonPRO + 1.4 scheme however. With SFX 1.5.1 + DX11 the game will show a black screen (the game will run, but nothing shows, if you turn off SFX in game the black screen goes away).

In an offtopic note, the DoF effect in this game is pure garbage, god damnit.
    The only way to get rid of it is breaking all post-processing effects (what is impractical, since it breaks the low health red screen).

Anyone knows if a tool like "DSFix" was created for this game back in the days?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  3. Psychor

Psychor Member

GPU:
    pc.thedigitalfoundry.com
    Thanks for the info. Keep up the good work!

4. TheNoseKnows

TheNoseKnows Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 660 Ti 2GB
    I have a bug to report. I can't get SweetFX 1.5.1 or 1.4 (haven't tried other versions) to work with Bioshock Infinite at all ever since I upgraded to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7 SP1. I simply get this error message when trying to run it:
    I've tried turning off all SweetFX options, changing the game settings, setting different compatibility modes, rolling back my drivers (currently using 331.65), reinstalling the DirectX runtime, and even reinstalling Windows 8.1, but the only way to get Bioshock Infinite to run is to do it without SweetFX.

5. TheNoseKnows

TheNoseKnows Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 660 Ti 2GB
    Further testing reveals that SweetFX does not work at all with DirectX 10/11 games under Windows 8.1. If the game doesn't support DirectX 9, it will refuse to run. If it does, it will only run in that mode unless you remove the SweetFX files.

6. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    And if you read the FAQ first...
    You will know the answer early....

7. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Yup all in the OP.. I've taken up a "If it doesn't work, just wait for a 8.1 compatible version" motto... It's obviously hit or miss at this point.

8. boxariel

boxariel Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia gtx680 2Gb
    Someone could hang here a configuration that works with assessin's creed 3 in windows 8.1? Truly appreciate it from my heart.

9. Matsilagi

Matsilagi Member

GPU:
    MSI GT630 2GB
    I really like all those shaders you guys do, altrough, i would like to request one, is there an way to port the ENB DOS Game effect to SweetFX.

Also, incase anybody wants, i added Chromatic Aberration and the 3DFX thingy to the eFX + SweetFX injector alpha by CeeJay.

10. Zomgerd

Zomgerd Guest

GPU:
    Asus R9 280X DC2T
    My god, would it kill some of you to scroll through the first page to the FAQ before you post? Regular SweetFX 1.5.1 and older versions do not work with win8.1, use RadeonPro in the mean time(uses SweetFX 1.4 currently) if you really must "upgrade" to win8.1 or help test SweetFX + eFX to give them feedback on what needs fixing..

11. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    AC3 works absolutely fine in 8.1 w/ the Radeon Pro / SweetFx 1.4 method..

12. Scorpio82Co

Scorpio82Co Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 8GB
    and sweet 1.5.1 boulotaurĀ“s,, can anyone let it work??
    ??

13. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    I don't want to use AMD Radeon Pro, it might mess up my Nvidia Drivers

14. Psychor

Psychor Member

GPU:
    pc.thedigitalfoundry.com
    I have RadeonPro installed with my 3 GTX 680 Lightnings in SLI. It doesn't affect your Nvidia drivers. It's just an application.

15. Zomgerd

Zomgerd Guest

GPU:
    Asus R9 280X DC2T
    1. Don't stick AMD in front of RadeonPro, it is not made nor owned by AMD nor is the creator affiliated with AMD.

2. It is an unofficial profile program that does not install any drivers nor does it need AMD drivers to use the SweetFX portion.

3. You can use your Nvidia GPU for the SweetFX portion of RadeonPro perfectly fine with no fuss and I'm fairly certain CeeJay has mentioned several times that some Nvidia owners are saying that some other features of RadeonPro can be used with Nvidia GPU's as well.

In other words it's practically impossible for it to mess up your Nvidia drivers.

EDIT: Also sorry for sounding like and being a jerk but it's a bit tiring to see the same issues reported and having to repeatedly state that it's addressed in the FAQ and then having to state on top of that that radeonpro works with Nvidia GPUs perfectly fine. Makes it a bit hard for me to keep all my cools. :p

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Couldn't agree more.

People seem to think Sharpness = better quality.

But that's not true(IMO). You will never get perfect AA quality and complete 100% Sharpness. (Short of rendering at like 4x+ resolution combined with another AA method)

No CG film even does it.

I'll take something like TXAA with minor sharpening over anything less than SMAA 4x any day.

SMAA handles temporal aliasing poorly, and it can't do anything for specular aliasing.

There is always going to be some kind of trade off for playable performance and quality that you desire.

SMAA has it's uses, but many current games are not suited for it.

Especially ones with complex lighting systems or based on realism.

SMAA 4x would work wonders for a game like Zelda Wind Waker HD for example.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  17. sabbede

sabbede Member

GPU:
    EVGA NV260-216; 8600GTS
    Worth mentioning:
    For DX9 games under Windows 8.1, delete/rename/don't copy dxgi.dll. That will get you past the crash on startup/after loading screen problem.

I'm guessing that video playback (intro vids) doesn't render through dxgi.

18. temo

temo Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    It's the reason why there are so many methods of AA. For some the loss of detail and significant blurring isn't worth with the benefit of TXAA (even with sharpening), while others prefer the trade-offs presented in SMAA.

Personally, I'm not overly fussed either way. I can live with slight blurring, but once SMAA is available I trend to gravitate back towards it after play-testing a bit.

19. boxariel

boxariel Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia gtx680 2Gb
    Then I must be a complete idiot because I can not I work with radeon pro sweetfx in any game.

20. Scarecrow7

Scarecrow7 Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3GB
    In main settings, you will have to point where SweetFX was extracted.
    And last version of SweetFX don't work, you will have to use version 1.4 (can be downloaded in Nexus sites, as stated in OP).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.