Aftermarket Sound Cards in 2013

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hav0q, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    ^ Any thoughts? I'm close to wanting to ditch my Creative Titanium HD. Driver support for Windows or anything in general from Creative, Asus, etc. is kind of terrible. MEANWHILE, my RealTek HD audio drivers are updated regularly. Kind of strange-right?

For hardcore gaming I'm usually using my Logitech G930 anyway, which bypasses the sound card.

Not sure how much of a FPS hit it is to use on-board sound (if any at all). My setup is pretty solid, running @ 4.4Ghz right now with the GTX 780s in SLI.

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Virtually no FPS impact from using on-board.

3. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    Really? It used to be about a 10-15% FPS hit....that was back in the Battlefield 2 days though.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Exactly :D

5. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah I miss the old hardware accelerated cards. This ZXR is pure bliss though so I don't mind.

6. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    I like the ZXR...but I do not like the daughter board. Too much clutter. Can it be run without it?

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Why not get the Z?

8. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    I have this nit-picky pet-peeve about ****ty capacitors. So the Z is out of the question. I'm considering the ZX, though, since it has the those nice gold caps. One thing that kind of baffles me is that the Z has the highest SNR...124 vs. the ZX and ZXRs 118. Awkward.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The Z and ZX are the same card. Difference is the ZX comes with an external headphone module/controller.

10. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    Not true. The Z uses a Cirrus Logic DAC vs The Burr-Brown on the ZX and ZXR. Also, the Z uses standard caps and the ZX uses Nippon golds. I can see when holding the boxes the different caps, you can also see here.

11. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yes the ZXR can be used without the daughterboard. I use it that way. It disables DTS/Dolby though.

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    That would be incorrect.

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/sound-blaster-zx.aspx#specs

Check the specifications and then compare to the Z. The cards are identical outside of the break out box and the capacitors used. In fact, some of the earlier Z's had the better caps. Also, the SNR on both the Z and ZX is 116 vs 124 on the ZxR. That said, unless you plan on upgrading to a decent pair of headphones or speakers there's not much point in upgrading to a better soundcard.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  13. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    That's a strange link for Creative. A week ago they had a 3 card comparison chart that said differently. I have had both cards in my hands, I assure you the caps are not the same. They're all black on the Z and gold on the ZX and ZXR.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Beat me to it. Also both cards have had at various points of shipping/manufacture slightly different caps, some gold plated, others not, but not sure if quality differed. The cards are considered the same by creative and the zx has only the control module added to the packaging.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    There was a long discussion of this in the Creative SB Z thread in the sound section, nothing was proven re the quality of the gold vs non-gold caps. Both cards at various points shipped with the different caps between them, ie, both models shared the same caps, gold and non-gold at various points in time.

16. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    As I said, early versions of the Z used different caps. The site link is an official website for Creative products and is correlated by pretty much every legitimate review of the cards on the internet. If you want further assurances you could always try getting this moved to the audio section of the forum?

Exactly. In fact, there were issues with the breakout box causing a degredation of sound quality on the Zx and ZxR when used for volume control. I'm not sure if that has been fixed or not yet. The Zx is simply not worth the premium for a breakout box, especially one that doesn't function correctly. Either get the Z or the ZxR imo.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  17. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    This is really weird. I'm going to buy all 3 off Amazon to get to the bottom of it. I can easily just return with no hassles. I'm weary of Creative products...but I have been using them for ages. They're like EA, they make stuff and don't support it very well. I do use my headset a lot more these days so maybe I don't need a sound card at all anymore. I do like the premium sound though for music and when I do game without headphones. #1stWorldProblems

18. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I've checked all the other Creative websites that I can think of, and they all list the same specifications as shown on that site. In fact, I've never seen anywhere list any different. You sure you're not remembering a dodgy review? I'd also recommend investing in a decent pair of headphones if you do upgrade. One of the major selling points of these cards is the included headphone amp, so that opens a lot of doors that were probably shut for you before. I've used a lot of gaming headsets and can honestly say I will never go back. It's a general consensus amongst most of the audio enthusiasts on this forum.

19. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    I received the specs from a Creative rep when I was inquiring about 8.1 driver support, but it was a link to a page that's 404 now.

20. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    That was a seriously dodgy Creative rep if true.