Crazy Freezing/Rebooting/Crashing XFX DD R9-280x Crossfire.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by dade_kash_xD, Oct 31, 2013.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Latest mobo bios too?

And in bios did you enable/set gpu as main or auto detect (igpu)?

2. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Maybe it's got something to do with boost. If you got boost?

Maybe... if you open your bios with vbe7 the bios editor.. and make up a new bios, a bios of your own.. with higher power limit and.. if your card's got boost then disabling it (can be done).. and, just yeah, stuff like that. Maybe that'll work or something? Maybe he's got some weird bioses lol..

3. dade_kash_xD

dade_kash_xD Guest

GPU:
    2x XFX DD R9-280x 3gb
    im running latest version of bios (10/30/13) and I have it set to load PCIe graphics not auto.

I don't know what boost is but what I do know is that having to remove drivers, reinstall fresh, play around until it finally works and only for a few hours is getting old quick. Tonight I started seeing heavy GPU artifacts in BF4. I'm getting so fed up, I think I'm going to rma monday.

4. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    You made it sound like both cards work alone. Have you tried both pcie slots with single card? Maybe its one of those.

5. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah I think you should. These cards are faulty man. Probably the artifacts in bf4 was the last stroke. I'm surprised you had so much patience with it.

Swap em out for something better, a couple of 280xs/7950/7970s with a good brand. Good luck anyways. :)

6. dade_kash_xD

dade_kash_xD Guest

GPU:
    2x XFX DD R9-280x 3gb
    Thanks man! I was thinking of going the route of either 2x Asus 280x Matrix Platinum, but being that they are triple slot, do you think they would fit properly in my Asus Hero board?

They do work as just single cards, each one. You know what though, I've never tried that second PCIe slot by itself. The last trouble shooting I'm going to do today is test that second lane and put my old 6970's in and see what it does with that. If it does the same thing with my 6970's then I know the issue is properly the board. Maybe I should put the 280's in my old system that has an i5-2500k p8p67 evo board.

I wanna thank y'all for being patient and trying to help me through this!

7. dade_kash_xD

dade_kash_xD Guest

GPU:
    2x XFX DD R9-280x 3gb
    So, I removed both cards, tried each one in each slot. Put each 6970 in each slot. Each individual card was working perfect. So, I put both 6970 in crossfire no problems. Then, I put each 280x in and now guess what? It works pefect now. I've been playing bf4 and benching all morning long. Granted, I'm getting like 10-15% less performance now for some reason with my 280x crossfire but hey it's working now!

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    sounds weird. I'm guessing one of your 280x cards wasn't seated properly when you had issues?

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Maybe dust or something got into the pci slot...

10. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    BF4 is absolutely broken at the moment, the crashes are not due to your cards.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, dust, maybe a setting in the bios (I'm assuming he was messing with the bios) etc

12. dade_kash_xD

dade_kash_xD Guest

GPU:
    2x XFX DD R9-280x 3gb
    It must've been something to do with the pci lane; dust, seating, etc.

Weird considering I probably removed and reseated these cards like 3 times. Maybe the 280x got jealous because I put a 6970 in each slot and said, "ok ok fine I'll work now". That would make more technical sense.

In any event, THANK YOU GUYS!!!

13. dade_kash_xD

dade_kash_xD Guest

GPU:
    2x XFX DD R9-280x 3gb
    OMG I AM GOING TO FREAK!@#! It is doing the same thing again!!! It was working perfect last night and all this morning. I get home from work today, and it's freezing again. I didn't change anything at all. Is this my board or my cards? I bought the board open-box from newegg. I don't know what to do anymore? Should I RmA both?

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I knew this would come back to haunt you... I would rma both cards if I was you. if the new ones do the same thing, the problem is most likely elsewhere.

15. dade_kash_xD

dade_kash_xD Guest

GPU:
    2x XFX DD R9-280x 3gb
    I was thinking to buy a z87 sabertooth tomorrow from tigerdirect here locally and see if it's maybe the pci lanes on my board.

16. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Whether it's the cards at fault or not, I'd be wary of ordering from XFX anyway. They had a lot of issues with their DD cooler on the 7900 series, and with the 280X being a rebrand I doubt there's much improvement. Same goes for Powercolor tbh.

17. dade_kash_xD

dade_kash_xD Guest

GPU:
    2x XFX DD R9-280x 3gb
    I just saw on this forum another guy with the same exact card as me having the same exact issue with just one card. I'm so confused guys! lol Do you think it's the board or the cards?

18. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    With XFX's past history I'd lean toward the cards. You had crossfire 6970's working without a problem after all.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    rma the cards

20. dade_kash_xD

dade_kash_xD Guest

GPU:
    2x XFX DD R9-280x 3gb
    Could it be my ROG Crossfire Bridge? I just tried my ROG Crossfire Bridge on my 6970's and CCC would said I didn't have the bridge properly connected. I tried the old bridge and it works?