Catalyst issue?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by CadK, Nov 2, 2013.

1. CadK

CadK Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 280X 3GB GDDR5
    Bear with me, this is a bit long.

I've got an XFX R9 280X that I originally bought a few weeks ago for my i7-920 box. I used it in the 920 box and it ran fine in plenty of games (BF3, BF4 Beta, Civ 5) with no issues.

I replaced my 920 box with a Haswell i7-4770 box this week. I transplanted the R9 280X and I've had nothing but major issues in both games and Windows since. I'm talking about crashes and freezes. Even plain old desktop usage can cause the display driver to crash. Fire Strike crashes. Civ 5 crashes. BF4 crashes. (When I say crash, the vast majority of these are the games are starting up, but after about a few seconds to a minute or two, the image freezes but the game is still playing--I can hear the audio--or the game is still running but it drops to desktop and I can't bring anything back up. The crashes when web browsing are "display driver stops responding"-style crashes.)

So I started trying to troubleshoot the problem. Wiped out the partition and installed Windows 8.1 from scratch. I've tried all the 13.11 beta drivers. I've updated everything in my system, including the motherboard BIOS and chipset drivers. I've tried underclocking/overclocking. Underclocking worked for a while; I was able to run Fire Strike a few times, but it's as if the issue "adapted" to the clock speed, and then it became unstable. (For those wondering, the power supply is a new Corsair 750 watt model). And I don't believe it's a heat issue, as I'm running with the box on its side with the panel removed. But I've Sandra and the 15-minute Furmark stress test and it didn't have an issue with the heat.

Then I pulled the R9 out and plugged in an old Nvidia GTX560, did a clean install, and had no issues whatsoever. Pulled out the Nvidia board, put the R9 back in, clean install, and it went back to crashing. For good measure, I repeated the process and put the Nvidia board back in, clean install, and once again rock solid.

So I put the R9 into my old 920 box again, clean install, and it's rock solid, no issues whatsoever. Which leads me to conclude the issue is with the drivers on my Haswell box.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this? Any ideas? It's really frustrating right now. I'm just hoping the Beta 9 drivers address this, or else I'm looking at cutting losses and buying an Nvidia board.

2. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    It can be the PCI-E 3.0 issues?
    What's happen if you lock to PCI-E 2.0 in bios?

3. CadK

CadK Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 280X 3GB GDDR5
    Unfortunately, my BIOS doesn't allow that. It's a Dell XPS 8700.

A PCIe 3.0 issue would be troubling. With that said, the Dell came with a GeForce GT635, which according to Nvidia is a PCIe 3.0 card, and it works fine. Tested it twice. (Its Fire Strike score is laughable, as you'd expect).

This is a stupid question, but does the Intel RST affect the PCI-e channel? I know it handles SATA, but I'm just running stock Windows drivers. Wondering if that could make a difference. Might as well try.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  4. CadK

CadK Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 280X 3GB GDDR5
    FWIW, I just ran Fire Strike and I got this message

Unexpected error running tests.
    Workload Single init returned error message: Creating asset "class eva::d3d11::assets::timeline_asset": timelines\duel_gt2_timeline.txt: Creating asset "class eva::d3d11::assets::scene_asset": scenes\duel\duel_gt2.evascenestore: Creating asset "class eva::d3d11::assets::texture_2d_asset": images\common\white.evaasset: File: texture_utility.cpp
    Line: 149
    Function: class boost::shared_ptr<class eva::d3d11::texture_2d> __cdecl eva::d3d11::load_texture_2d(const class boost::filesystem2::basic_path<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >,struct boost::filesystem2::path_traits> &,const class eva::d3d11::device_resources &,enum DXGI_FORMAT,int)

Expression: result: DX11 call failed [-2005270523].

Hardware device removed.
    DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED:

5. CadK

CadK Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 280X 3GB GDDR5
    I tried swapping out some power cables (modular power supply) and I got this message this time in FireStrike:

Window focus lost while running tests.
    Workload work failed with error message: window_focus_lost: Display resolution changed

What's weird is that I've been able to run the FireStrike benchmark twice and complete it successfully (the one with the fire creature and the ice creature battling it out). But what's tripping the machine up is the Ice Storm benchmark, the one meant for tablets. It has the starfighters battling it out above the asteroid. Both times it lost focus. Maybe it's a refresh issue; I know that the card is running at hundreds of FPS during this test. But for FireStrike, it's maxing out in the 30s.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The GPU is unstable, you can try bumping up the voltage or lowering core clocks but I think if it was me I'd RMA it....or you could wait for a possible driver fix.

7. CadK

CadK Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 280X 3GB GDDR5
    I just did a board inspection and it looks like one of the circuit-things on the surface of the PCIe connection is cut off. Looks like it may have rubbed off or something. That's probably causing an issue. Sending an RMA request.

8. dade_kash_xD

dade_kash_xD Guest

GPU:
    2x XFX DD R9-280x 3gb
    I'm having the same exact issues with XFX 280x in crossfire. For some reason when I remove the cards and reseat them they'll work ok for a while and then other times not. I don't know if this is a motherboard issue or the actual cards...