Worried about Temperature

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Dumaw, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Dumaw

Dumaw Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC ACX 2.0
    Hi

I recently bought a Gigabyte R9 280X Windforce.

Here where I live is very hot. Specially in the afternoon, without my AC on, like right now. Entered a BF3 match, on ultra, temp started rising till 86 C.

MSI Afterburner says the fans were already at 100%. I find that odd cause my last GPU never got more than 50% fan speed and was way cooler.

When should I really stop, when it hits 90 C? Maybe I should leave my gabinet open or only play with my OC on with this card?

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    What case & system fans do you have?
    Ideally, a wind tunnel effect should cool better than an open case. You want to be moving air onto the card & then moving the heat away.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What is the ambient temperature, what case, how is your airflow, what card were you using prior to this one, how hot was it?

4. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    90c won't hurt that card, but for sure you should get more air flow through your case if you can. What Sasquatch said is right.

5. Dumaw

Dumaw Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC ACX 2.0
    I was using a HD 6870 by Sapphire, very cool card.

I turned on VSYNC now to test it, since in BF I like playing with VSYNC and it got cooler, around 75 C and fan speed dropped to 90%

My case is not a good one, it has only one cooler and its not a very good one either. I just never had problem cause my last card was very cool like I said.

Maybe I should only play BF with my AC on lol

The fan speed thing got me thinking tho, I dunno if its all working as intended, to be in full speed like that all the time. Maybe it is right, and I just got used to my old card.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Its because this new gpu dumps most of the heat inside your case and since you dont have any airflow it heats up fast.. Try without sidepanel

7. Dumaw

Dumaw Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC ACX 2.0
    Yeah, without the sidepanel gets way better.

I think with this case that I have and its poor cooling, I cant use this card with it closed. At least when its too hot in here.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I would run vsync on it will help temps

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    As always, if you get 90°C on GPU, what kind of temperature you get on VRMs?

Install HWiNFO64 to get proper readings. You may be surprised.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    there is your answer. running a small messy case with only 1 fan will result in high temps. enabling vsync or capping framerate usually helps with temps.

11. Dumaw

Dumaw Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC ACX 2.0
    Another question

I use MSI Afterburner.

The last graphic, Fan Tachometer, keeps showing me extreme variations, like right now as I type here.

temp is ok, gpu usage minimum, fan speed stuck at 29, the vga all is quiet and all since im doing nothing, but this FAN Tachomether keeps going up and down like crazy. I honestly don't remember this. Is is working as intended?

it shows like 2k then and jumps to like 200k and instantly goes down to show 2k again

fans are not variating like that, they are all quiet and speed at low, im not sure what that graphic means, if its not working properly or if I should be worried

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  12. Dumaw

Dumaw Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC ACX 2.0
    Could this be just an error on the software reading?

The tachometer crazy reading thing I mean

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    If you have only one fan in case, that is the problem.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There are several methods to read fan rpm. But all require control wire to be connected to get readings. if you have 2/3fans cooling solution and all 3 have reading connected, then they are interfering with each other.
    My readings jump between real value and double of real value and back. So I do not use OSD with rpm, but with current % of max speed target.