Question About Hard Drive Partitioning.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by MechWarrior, Oct 31, 2013.

1. MechWarrior

MechWarrior Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Classified Sli OC
    Hey everyone,

I have a 1TB regular HDD in the machine in my profile. Currently the drive only has one partition with windows 7 installed. Now I have a few hundred GBs of freen space, and with all the noise about Battlefield 4 running better on windows 8 I though I would give it a try.

My question is, is there any way to create another partition thats around 50GB in size that I could install windows 8 on. I know there are several utilities that are supposed to allow you to do this but I forget what they where all called.

Thanks in advance.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Click Start > Right click "Computer" > Click "Manage" > In new window that opens, click "Disk Management"

Right click your 1TB HDD and choose "Shrink Volume" it will query available free space

Enter the size you want the new partition to be, if 50GB, choose 50 x 1024 which is 51200MB > Click Shrink

It will create a new 50GB unallocated space for you > Now right click that new partition and create a "New Simple Volume"

Just click Next next next on the wizard until you reach the Formatting and Naming section > Give the new partition a name you will recognise in Windows setup so not to confuse it with your main Win 7 partition

Leave Quick Format ticked, and the other dropdown boxes as they are

Click Next and then Finish to create the new partition

Once it is done, it should autoplay and open the new partition as if you just inserted a USB stick or something, if not just look in your list of drives

Now you can boot from the Win 8 DVD and install just like any other OS, and Windows 8 will add Windows 7 to the bootloader so you can choose which OS to boot from once it is all installed

Done :)

3. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    If you want a more "user-friendly" way, go for Easeus Partition Master