Should I build a new computer or upgrade my GPU or just buy a PS4?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mlb7412, Oct 30, 2013.

1. mlb7412

mlb7412 Guest

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte 7770 rev 1.0
    Ok i really didn't want to make this topic but alas I am at a crossroads in my gaming ventures.

My current rig is a Phenom x4 965 black edition
    8 GB RAM
    2X Gigabyte AMD 7770's
    650watt power supply

I have just started to play battlefield 4 and average around 45 FPS in 1080p with AA turned off and SSAO on.

My question is should I keep my current setup? or build a new computer? or just buy a PS4 and save money? My motherboard is only AM3 and can't support the newwer AMD processors so I would be starting from scratch. I am looking for honest input money is not really and object.

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 6790
    My suggestion would be to upgrade the GPU....and go for the HD7970 x 2. The only hitch would be making sure your PSU can handle the crossfire setup.

You're in the same boat as I am...with pretty much the same setup....and old as well. My next move is to build a new rig....everything...mobo, CPU, GPU, RAM, CPU cooler, PSU....everything but the case.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    His setup would bottleneck crossfire 7970's. Hell my old 940 BE PII @ 3.6 Ghz bottle necked two 6950's.

OP you say money is no object so my next question is are you against intel because I would suggest a Z87 board, 4770k i7, 16GB DDR3 @2400Mhz (2x8) and a good CPU cooler so you can overclock the CPU to around 4.4-4.6Ghz. On the GPU side that's all up to you pick your favorite color because the price/performance is favorable for both green and red at the moment.

4. dirthurts

dirthurts Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    I'm at the same decision myself.
    I wouldn't, however, under any circumstances, go with a crossfire setup.
    You lose performance as it doesn't scale well, too much heat, too much noise, and lots and lots and lots of glitches and issues.
    You're better off going with a good single card instead and ditch all those problems.
    But, back the the original question.
    Your computer is probably already faster than a ps4...
    I'm getting a PS4, but my computer is already plenty fast enough. I just want it for a few exclusives.
    If I was you, I would grab a AMD 7870, or one of the new 280's. You'll destroy anything the ps4 can run. There isn't much to play on the PS4 yet, so if you purchase later you'll have more (and cheaper) games to try out.