FX-83** Owners club - Discussion & overclocking

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by hallryu, Feb 2, 2013.

1. DarkReign

DarkReign Guest

GPU:
    780 Classy 1287/6200
    Steppzor, what tweaks did you do to get down to a lower voltage? I'd be interested to give them a try.

2. Schizoid

Schizoid Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7970 DirectCU II
    Hi,

Just converted from my trusty old Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz, ASUS Rampage Extreme x86 and GTX560Ti SLI.

My new system is :-

AMD FX8320
    ASUS Sabertooth 990fx
    ASUS HD7970 Direct CUII

Just managed to get them setup last night after RMA a one motherboard.

As a mild Overclocker I just upped the CPU ratio to 20 this morning and ran Prime95 for an hour or so and all was stable at 51 degrees on the CPU and 39 on the core. At Idle the CPU sits at 30 and core at 17 (If what I am reading correct.

(Using AI Suite for the Thermal CPU and Core temp for the Cores)

What kind of overclock can I get on this board/CPU combo using Corsair H50 cooler?

3. DarkReign

DarkReign Guest

GPU:
    780 Classy 1287/6200
    Schizoid,

Are those temps with the H50 installed? The max core temp is 62C and the socket temp is 72C (someone correct me if I'm wrong). You still have some good headroom to OC. It's all going to depend on that chip and how much voltage it requires to get to, say, 4.5Ghz.

I would look through some of the posts here as they contain a lot of good info on OC'ing the Vishera chip. Also there's a good sticky on OCN as well.

4. Schizoid

Schizoid Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7970 DirectCU II
    Cheers DarkReign

Yeah, those temps are with the H50 installed.

I haven't played with the VCore or anything else as of yet, just changed the Multi in the UEFI

5. DarkReign

DarkReign Guest

GPU:
    780 Classy 1287/6200
    Nice. That's the stock turbocore clock so you should be able to get to 4.2Ghz on the current stock vcore. I've found that the stock vcore is often supplying more than enough power at the higher turbocore frequency. Just fiddle around and if you're lucky you may have a chip that oc's well on lower voltages. In which, I will be very jealous. :) Good luck!

Also, playing with the FSB frequency is fun. It gains a few more points in benchmarking, as PhazeDelta pointed out to me.

6. Schizoid

Schizoid Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7970 DirectCU II
    Currently running at 4.2Ghz (200x21) with the VCore on 1.320 Full load running at around 44 degrees on the core. (VCore set to 1.27500)

Currently at 6 Passes of Prime95.

I started at 4Ghz and then ran stable Prime95s and then lowered the VCore until the 4Ghz wasn't stable (1.25) Then I upped the Vcore a little and then the Multiplier.

*** Edit 1 core failure *** Gonna Up the VCore

Does this sound okay?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  7. DarkReign

DarkReign Guest

GPU:
    780 Classy 1287/6200
    Yeah makes perfect sense. Do you have the CPU LLC set to ultra?

8. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    My AMD platform is currently offline after receiving my haswell.

I'm awating the arrival of my new case for mye AMD platform and will post some pictures of the BIOS settings when it's up and running again :)

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  10. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    New Bios out for ASrock 990FX Extreme9 1.50 and man what a difference, they got it right, I was able to drop my voltages all across the board. Runnin 8350 at 4.8 and got it at 1.41 and cpu/nb at 1.22 nb 1.10 mostly its the LLC they got right, I think with them puttin the 9590 in it made them work on the bios, but its sweet now, finally. Now I would recommend this board without a second thought.

11. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Thanks for the heads up. :D Unfortunately, it did not make any difference on my system. :bang: Basically, it confirms that I have hit the upper limit on my FX 8350.

12. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    ManofGod ... really wow, I was thinkin about you too when I wrote that last night. I figured it would help you for sure, because mine is like different pc now, you must have just got a bum chip bud, it happens, but i really figured it would help you at least a little. anyhow they finally got the bios right, at least way better than it was.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Yea. It's working fine.

15. Schizoid

Schizoid Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7970 DirectCU II
    Any benefits of the newer ASUS Sabertooth 990FX BIOS?

16. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Arrggghhhh.......:bang: I am not able to get Ultra Fast Boot to work with 2 video cards installed on my 990FX Extreme 9. All I get is a black screen with a non blinking cursor. However, with one card installed, Ultra Fast Boot works great and lives up to its name.

I now have 2 x Gigabyte HD7950 with the latest firmware installed. Also, I have the latest firmware installed on my mainboard. Any ideas please?

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You should probably make your own thread, this thread is for FX-8350 owners, not fastboot and GPU issues ;)

18. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    You are probably right. :) But I thought Splashdown might see this here and respond since he has the same board. Now that I think about it, I am going to PM him.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Can u please tell me the Microcode and AGESA version of your BIOS?

20. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Where can I find that at?