Flickering and horizontal lines on the TV. not on desktop

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by topeira, Oct 7, 2013.

1. topeira

topeira Member

hi guys.

im having this brand new problem on my TV (which is connected via HDMI cable to my desktop) - ever since i upgraded to the latest ati driver (v13.10) my TV flickers. it flashes what seems to be single black frames once in a while and shows a horizontal line that comes down slowly from top of the screen downward. the issue seems a lot more severe when i watch videos, either online or video files.

what is the problem?
    any advices for solutions?

p.s. - i prefer not to roll back to older drivers. this might help but i upgraded to new drivers to solve an issue i had that is now gone.

2. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    Vague but i LL try, assumption 1 :you use 1080i,in this case;
    1) set computer to scrgb
    2)set computer to 1080i29.94
    3)set GPU to ycbcr 4.2.2
    4)set TV to HDMI,ycbcr ,set screen to native or what it pass for native
    5)check GPU scaling ,should be at 0

2: if you use sRGB (gamer)

1) TV to sRGB (hopefully option is there
    2) computer color to wcs sRGB
    3) again make sure scaling is at 0
    4)make sure color isn't gray on GPU if it is fake calibrate via window color system.
    5)set GPU to sRGB 4.4.4 for game and 4.2.2 for movie.(dual screen or more user)
    6)set computer to 59.94 hertz

With these you should be fine

PS:GPU will say 30 or 60 instead of 29.94 and 59.94 ignore GPU you will be at what you set it.restart go in wcs it will reset color once or twice click OK rack time and your set

3. topeira

topeira Member

thanks for trying to help, mate.

first - i AM a gamer. games look fine on the TV (except loading screens and menues in Skyrim, for example, that flickers horribly) but videos do not.

the flickering sometimes look like the horizontal line that comes down from top to bottom has the screen flickering and shaking horribly beneath the line. as the line comes down everything above that line is steady and perfect and when the line goes all the way down the picture is stable.... for a few seconds. then the same happens again....

anyway, i do not know how to do everything you advised :(

1) TV to sRGB (hopefully option is there)
    - i dont think there is an option for that in my TV. the menu dedicated for visual stuff is pretty basic with contrast and color schemes and PC mode (which is on). no RGB thingy.

2) computer color to wcs sRGB
    - how do i do that?

3) again make sure scaling is at 0
    - yes! this i know how to do :p

4)make sure color isn't gray on GPU if it is fake calibrate via window color system.
    - what does that mean? how do i do this?

5)set GPU to sRGB 4.4.4 for game and 4.2.2 for movie.(dual screen or more user)
    - i never had to change pixel proportions\colors to fit the two different monitors or applications... i think.
    i always used... whatever the CCC is set on.
    what i did was go to "my digital flat panels" and changed "pixel format" to RGB 4:4:4. was THAT what i was supposed to do?
    will see if this changes anything....

6)set computer to 59.94 hertz
    - again - how? :-\

i appreciate the time you took to answer these. appreciated. sadly im not a tech savvy with the CCC so i dont know how to do some of the tup you gave. i sure could use a bit more guidance.

thanks again!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  4. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    Yep!pixel was right !rgb 4.4.4 for game and rgb 4.2.2 but this is if you are set to sRGB .if you never touched your system you l be at proper value .
    In gpu CCC setting you all see a place you can change color ,in one of those view there will big a big rectangular button ,if its gray you are using the GPU !window color system Cali ration! Ms explain it better .bottom line check. How its set in wcs,calibrate the manually revert them back .this will permit ms to control color not GPU.ms had a proper version of gpu driver last season but it isn't avail anymore for some reason .I wish it was .when ms supply them via window update they tend to run better.

5. topeira

topeira Member

haha. there's a funny end to this story.

i tried to do what you instructed, even though i didnt really know what i was doing :eyes: and i think i messed up things even more because the flickering got much worse. eventually it was so bad that i decided to revert everything to the default settings.

THAT solved my issues :p no more flickering.

i have no clue why the settings that i had set in the first place caused flickering and what changed, now that i reverted to default, but it worked.

thanks for the help, drbaltazar! my problem is solved :)

6. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    Glad your issue is fixed!it happen sometime when thing get stuck in between(specially when you don't use invariant tsc or its android (Linux )variant!glad you issue is resolved!

7. topeira

topeira Member

sadly, im back :(

the issue is still there. for just a little while it was better, but it returned. even after resetting and after rolling back to an older driver.
    here's how it looks like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBWvj7zExkA

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  8. Racetrack

Racetrack Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 7970M 2GB
    Mate I had a similar problem except it was when I had my laptop connected to a monitor via HDMI. It turned out to be a corruption of the signal from the laptops power supply. The laptop AC cord and the HDMI cord are plugged in right next to each other. Whenever I unplugged the AC cord and ran off battery, the flickering disappeared.

Now you're on a desktop so the problem might not be the same, but I wonder if you're using a mATX case or something which puts your HDMI cable in close proximity with your PSU?

9. topeira

topeira Member

i am not sure what mATX is, but if it's some sort of a miniature case than no. my case is pretty standard sized.
    the HDMI cable's exit from the mobo is at the far buttom and the PSU is on the top :\ so that's not it. i just replaced the cables of the computer screen and the HDMI exit and it didnt change anything either. i dont think it's the cable too. i am using the same cable now as i did when everything was fine. also i tried switching the sides of the cable (TV with computer) and that didnt help. also it only happens in very specific times - when watching a video on full screen, more inturruptions when it's an online video apposed to a downloaded video that run off my HDD.
    in 3D games everything is fine...
    so it doesnt make that much sense it's a hardware issue...

at least not to my limited logic :p

10. WillG

WillG Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Did you do a clean install of the latest drivers? Have you disabled ULPS?
    It could be a corrupted driver install or a bad cable perhaps?

11. topeira

topeira Member

what is ULPS?

also, every time i install an AMD driver i run the driver i DLed from AMD and do an uninstall and reboot first. after the reboot i do an install of the driver i want.

and maybe it's a bad cable. i dont know. as i've said - the issue started right as i updated the driver and i havent changed the cable itself.... that's what made me think it's a software issue and not a hardware. obviously i dont know much about this so i might be wrong.

12. WillG

WillG Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    ULPS is Ultra Low Power State. Tends to cause many different problems from reading the forums the past few years. I disable it always - first thing every driver install.

It can be disabled with a registry hack (google 'Disable ULPS') or with Trixx OC tool fom Sapphire.

You can read about clean installing AMD drivers in this very forum, personally I just uninstall, reboot and run CCleaner, reboot, run driver installer as administrator = no problems.

Also, I've had a bad cable before that would intermittently display lines on my monitor. So it could be worth trying a spare cable or borrowing one perhaps?

Hope you get it sorted.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  13. SamuelMaki

SamuelMaki Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gigabyte 670 OC
    I had the same problems with my configuration, it did go away when I did reconnect the hdmi cable couple times... Also try to search if your TV has downloadable driver.

So, it is not end of the world and no need to take your TV to repairman, because for myself the issue "solved itself", probably cable had some sort of connection problems for a while, or it was unnatural shape which showed in imperfections on digital video signal.