4870x2 and bf4 (new drivers needed)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by sdalleave, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdalleave

sdalleave Guest

GPU:
    AMD 4870x2
    Hi all, i've been playing bf3 on my 4870x2 since it came out with no particular issues.. I'm using cat 11.11 (8.96-120214a Packaging version) as it was the best performing driver for bf3.
    I just installed bf4 beta and now it's asking me for a driver no less than 13.4. I've checked on AMD website but the latest driver that supports my card is 13.1.
    How can I install a driver 13.4 or greater so i can play bf4?

Thanks..

2. GMtm

GMtm Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB
    You could try a modified driver.

Dox on laptopvideo2go has modded the Beta 2 Catalyst 13.5 drivers to add unofficial legacy support and more. There are two versions in his release. Version A and B. See the release notes below.

Supports Windows 7/8 x64 only!

== Version 13.5.0A --- 2013/04/29 (YYYY/MM/DD )==
    - Initial release
    - Removed x86 support
    - Removed x86 files as no longer required
    - Added support for legacy desktop and mobile graphics cards
    - supports desktop and mobile graphics cards fom HD2xxx to HD7xxx
    - Packaged in with official 13.5 beta 2 drivers

== Version 13.5.0B --- 2013/04/29 (YYYY/MM/DD )==

- Initial release
    - Removed x86 support
    - Removed x86 files as no longer required
    - Added support for legacy desktop and mobile graphics cards
    - supports desktop and mobile graphics cards fom HD2xxx to HD7xxx
    - Packaged in with .dll from official 13.1 legacy drivers
    and directX and OpenGL .dll from official 13.5 beta 2 drivers

Go here for the links and support:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/30186-catalyst-135/

3. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    AMD will probably release a new legacy driver for BF4, though perhaps not during the beta.
    The HD 3000 and 4000 series are listed as supported, so if AMD doesn't feel like fixing it, at least Dice should push for it.

I saw that there are some others reporting this issue over at the official BF4 forum as well.

You could try sending a report to AMD over here too
    http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3F30

4. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    You could try changing the version numbers to 13.4 equivalent in the old driver .inf files. If that doesn't work, hack the offending .dll's with a resource editor so it bypasses the BF4 driver version check using extract & makecab from a command prompt to unpack, edit and re-pack the offending too low version numbered .dll's.

BF4 might still not work correctly on these old drivers, but that's a different matter. You won't know the results till you try it...

The fact is the hardware is still capable to play the game or it wouldn't say so on the box.

However the lack of driver support for updated driver crossfire profiles is another oversight sadly lacking from the end of support, whereas single cards are not nearly as affected so much from the HD2xxx-HD4xxxx driver support chop, and clearly shows that this area (of crossfire support on those using older cards) is now clearly a sticky wicket as new profiles in the drivers are needed for those using crossfire for games that came out since April 2012 because updating caps alone are simply not a band aid for everything.

The support for the updated caps must also exist in the relevant updated drivers as well or the caps won't have much if any effect. So in this sense, we are around 2 years behind the curve on driver updates if your still rocking 4870x2's. So they would have to update 2 years worth of games to bring things back to a usable satisfactory level, not just BF4.

As you found, lack of updated drivers are more critical to those in legacy crossfire, than for those that are not because there are no optimisations for particular new games (in crossfire mode).

So if the above tricks don't work, not much you can do. Just don't expect to be getting full GPU utilisation on more than a single card since the support is no longer there, and hasn't been for some time despite the token updates that seem to break more than they fix.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

5. phr0zbyte

phr0zbyte Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super
    Wonder how those 4870's will do. I'm over here struggling with my 7870. :(

6. sdalleave

sdalleave Guest

GPU:
    AMD 4870x2
    as soon as i posted this i noticed FLEM and i was about to try and mess with that on new drivers.. I still didn't have time to do it, i'll try to get around it this saturday.. any ideas/suggestion?

7. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Hmm, If your goal is to use the same driver as you've done before. Just download the AMD Version Changer from the link below then run it as
    an Administrator.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/j641sb3it1bblas/iAMD+Version+Changer.7z

8. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    sry man but u will have absolutly no fun in bf4 with your Q9550 and the 4870x2.

you will archiv around 20-30fps due to cpu limit + microstuttering, what then feels like 10-15..

i mean, yeah go try the beta, but im pretty sure u will be dissapointed.

9. KodY

KodY Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 280X Vapor-X
    That is actually just an information window, it doesn't prevent you from playing the game with your current driver. It's the same for me. It says I have 12.11 driver and that I should update, but if I hit "OK", the game starts loading the level normally.

10. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    i would have been able to test this myself if my 4870x2 didnt die a few months ago

but currently i do bf4 beta on a 570m (it's a little faster than a single 4870) & i7-2670QM.... i have to do mostly low settings at 1080p just to get 30fps, yet bf3 runs on ultra (except fxaa & ssao) at same fps

so bf4 might improve with game & driver patches, but i'm curious about the cpu limtiations cuz my plan is r9 280x or 290 first before a whole mobo+cpu+ram switch

11. sdalleave

sdalleave Guest

GPU:
    AMD 4870x2
    worked like a charm.. alas, the 4870x2 is not good enough to play the game.. at 1280x800 almost everything on medium and textures high it was scoring an average of 27-30 fps.. both cores were active, but only at about 50-60% load..

@kn00tcn.. i have the same cpu but mine @3.8ghz.. it was always on full load, so i suspect it's a big bottleneck.. i guess it's time to do a full rig update.. on the cpu side i still haven't thought about it, but on the video side i was looking to get a 7970 ghz edition..

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  12. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Battlefield 4 has bugs, you're pretty much experiencing the same bug that everyone is experiencing. If you take a look at the 13.11 BETA1 Forum you should find users with high end system getting the same 50/60% Gpu usage with roughly the same Fps as they did when playing in Single Gpu Mode.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  13. IFPMaximus34

IFPMaximus34 Guest

GPU:
    Ati mobility radeom 4300
    how you manage to run bf4 beta on dx10 card i cant it says:DirectX function "device->CreateBuffer(&dxDesc, -,&buffer->m_buffer)" failed with E_INVALIDARG("An invalid parameter was passed to the returning function.").GPU:"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series",Driver:13.4(8.97.100-130424a-156445E-ATI) .Win8 Pro 64x.I may cant handle it but itt should open at least?

14. sdalleave

sdalleave Guest

GPU:
    AMD 4870x2
    hi all, i solved the problem.. i bought a palit gtx780 SuperJetstream and now bf4 runs great.. so long ATI, welcome Nvidia..

15. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    gtx780 and q9550, srsly?!

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You're killing your 780's potential. Particularly since you're playing BF4, which is heavy on the CPU.

17. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    Lol fail thread... you'll got successfully trolled by an Nvidia fan boy.

18. Karl Arsch

Karl Arsch Guest

GPU:
    HD4870 in crossfire
    bypasses the BF4 driver version check

Hy kevsamiga1974,

could you explain that step a bit in detail?
    How do I know which dll is the offending? Or are all dll^s offending?

Thanks a lot for your Help.

I tried renaming the driver version in the inf files but that didn^t work

19. Karl Arsch

Karl Arsch Guest

GPU:
    HD4870 in crossfire
    Or Dellon132 could you reupload the version changer. It seems to be not up any more and i can^t find it over google.

Thanks a lot

20. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    The Latest AMD Version Changer Can be found in the Latest Dx9 Switcher
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4487884&postcount=1

This Tool is integrated into the AMD Setting Optimizer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.