System freeze ups with 326.80 onwards?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Danny_G13, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    My system has been robust and stable for ages, basically no lock ups or BSODs for a very long time. A year+ maybe. Used to have problems but it was my old PSU on the way out. Got the fatal1ty and the problem was solved.

Till I installed the 326.80 betas. Put them on the 10th of September and thereafter got lock ups, mostly gradual crumpling of the OS before everything froze. I didn't even correlate the lock ups to them, because I removed them when the WHQL's showed up and the lock ups remained.

After extensively testing the RAM and CPU (among many other things) I was at a lost to identify the cause because I had the latest WHQL's on there - the 327.23's.

And the lockups were still happening.

Suddenly, it hit me. And I went back to the last set before the crashes started. That's July's 320.49's.

Lockups have mysteriously vanished and all works fine again.

Are there known issues with driver sets from August onwards? Because it would be an absolute killer to lose out on added performance just because something has been introduced in August which renders my PC unstable.

I honestly assumed the BETA drivers themselves were the problem but they're not alone.

I don't want to be stuck on an older driver set but I do want my system stable.

Any ideas?

2. wasd

wasd Guest

GPU:
    GTX 560 1GB
    You use Firefox?

3. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Yes. Is that known to cause problems with those driver sets? My OH doesn't use Firefox and found Chrome locked up on her among other things.

4. wasd

wasd Guest

GPU:
    GTX 560 1GB
    Since drivers 320 my computer freezes randomly while i use Firefox. The fix disable graphics acceleration in Firefox or use 314 or lower.

Looks like NVIDIA dont give a **** about user problems lately :puke2:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ith-hardware-acceleration-and-nvidia-optimus/

You can see people here talking about this problem

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeap ive had problems regarding all drivers after the 326.80, its the only driver that works with no problems for me. Mainly due to 120hz monitor not functioning right with other drivers after this.

6. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Well like I say my partner uses Chrome and the problems were still there for her.

But it does seem there are stability issues creeping in in the past 2 months.

7. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    That's the driver set I started having problems at.

8. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Newer isn't always better. Use what works the best.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    You have to find a driver that works for you as not all experiences will be the same.

10. wasd

wasd Guest

GPU:
    GTX 560 1GB
    Yeah, but the newer i can use its 314 and for example i cant play BF4 beta :bang:

Tuesday updated to test BF4 and played a few rounds and then freezed, now i have 314 again

11. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    same issues here...any thing past 314.22 and i have lockups (fora few seconds at first, then freezes requiring reboot) after the pc is on for a while along with mouse pointer disappearing/changing. really want to play BF4 but these new 331s lock up all the time. system is solid, slight OCs on CPU and GPU (still happens with stock clocks) although i pass all stressing and temps are good.

did the FF workaround...hope this helps since this is where i first notice issues before it starts acting up in other areas.

12. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I'm still on 314.22, very stable drivers. Is it possible to update to the newest Nvidia Profiles without updating the drivers?

13. chuchicoupe

chuchicoupe Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti GX3
  14. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Yes, the Nvidia update or Nvidia Experience having this function.

"If" it don't works, then you can install the newest driver, back all the Profiles by using Nvidia Inspector, then uninstall it, install back to 314.22 and restore the Profile.

15. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I'm sticking to July's set for the foreseeable future. Don't actually see any great loss of performance anyway so might as well stay with them.

16. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    As I say, the July set suit me fine. Stability is more important than performance. Rather have a Skoda that keeps going than a Ferrari that crashes.

17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Everything after 314.22 has been troublesome but 331.40 has been good for most people except SLI users. Is your motherboard's BIOS the latest btw?

OT but were you active in the steam user forum for Serious Sam 3? Your name looks familiar to me :p

18. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Knew your name soon as I saw you. Yeah it's me, how's Dubai? PS you removed me from your friends list ;)

Yeah, EX58-Extreme on FJ bios. Most recent one if you can call 2011 recent.

19. qgshadow

qgshadow Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI 2560x1440
    anybody running the game on 314.22 with 331 profiles. It worked for a bit, but when i quit the game and rejoin an another game the mouse stopped working in game.

I can join the game, everything loads but im stuck at the spawning page and i cant click anything. Really weird

I can move the mouse around but it doesnt bind to the game, so it's like im moving the mouse over the game and none of my inputs actually makes it into the game.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013