Digital vibrance bug (327.23, maybe others)- any solutions?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Stevedroid, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Stevedroid

Stevedroid Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    I just noticed an issue with the 327.23 drivers, but it may have been affecting me for longer.

I was playing a game I had played about 6 months back and noticed that it looked way more washed out than I remembered.

I went into the color settings, and I typically keep DV at the default 50%, but I found that as soon as I touch the DV setting, my colors significantly change. I.e. going from 50 to 51% makes a significant difference in black levels and color saturation. It's just a one time thing that happens after each boot. After I touch the setting once, from that point on it then acts like you'd normally expect changes in DV to act.

Everytime I reboot, my colors are once again very washed out until I poke the DV setting. The DV setting itself is not resetting though. E.g. I can put it at 80% and after rebooting it still shows as 80%, but all my colors are washed out. Then when I touch the setting, my colors change to what I'd expect 80% to look like.

Anyone aware of this issue, know anything I can do about it? I almost always clean install my drivers, but I just use the clean install option in the nVidia drivers themselves, I haven't gone out of my way to use a driver cleaner or anything.

---Update---

Additional info: My display is a 1080p HDTV, that I connect to using HDMI. I discovered that changing the "Content type reported to the display" setting makes it go back to washed out like when I boot and again from that point making any little change the DV setting will put the colors back to being not washed out.

I think this might be an issue with the black level. My HDTV has specific PC support and is designed for full range black level. What appears to be happening is that when I initially boot the drivers are using reduced range, TV style black levels, but then touching the DV setting causes it to send full range.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    I haven't had any issues (that I've noticed anyway) with 3 different systems, all which are set to 72% Digital vibrance and all are using 331.40. I have however had Digital vibrance issues before though, such as with certain drivers I wasn't even able to adjust it on a Windows XP system I have.

You could try a driver cleaner for the hell of it, it couldn't hurt.

There is Wagnard's
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379506

And what I've used for years is Driver Fusion.

You could also try newer/older drivers.

3. Stevedroid

Stevedroid Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    Fixed it. Turns out it's the full range vs limited range RBG issue (black level stuff I was talking about), which is a known bug. Apparently tweaking the DV setting makes it send full range, but after a fresh boot it's sending limited range.

I used the fixer utility from this post and now get correct colors after a fresh boot.

I think this issue was affecting me for a while and I just didn't notice it. Shame that it's gone unfixed for so long.

4. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Thank for the information for how's you fix it. :)

5. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    I had the same exact problem, after i bought an 120hz montor i don't have this problem anymore. Problem was that you can't change colors in nvidia driver because your monitor doesn't have the option DDC/CI.

6. Allanon

Allanon Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 520 GT
    Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks for this fix.

I've been banging my head for 8 hours trying to figure this madness out.

I ran into this problem today after updating to the latest 337.50. After installing it I noticed my screen was all washed out. I tried cleaning out the drivers and reverting but nothing I did worked. (After using the utility I realize this is because the update must have changed registry entries).

The utility worked perfectly, my blacks are black and my whites are white.

This was really important since this is my work machine, and I'm an artist. If I don't have a full range of colors I might as well just stab my eyes and work blind.

Thank you so much.

:)

7. stat1cx

stat1cx Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G
    This bug has been known for years and yet its not fixed. It effects HDMI only tho, i have to use uttility to set full range RGB after each driver update, when ir resets to default limited range.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  8. NHK

NHK Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB
    This worked like a charm on my HDTV via HDMI. The colors are now solid & look like it should.

9. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    About that RGBfullrangeToggle utility, there seems to be another issue that's Nvidia-related when forcing full RGB.

When forced, Contrast levels 1 (1 step from pure black) and 254 (1 step from pure white) are clipped as I cannot see them at all using the lagom.nl\lcd-test images.

On my laptop which has an AMD radeon HD 4650, using the 4:4:4 RGB (PC standard) setting in the Catalyst Control Panel, Contrast levels 1 and 254 are correctly displayed. The display I'm using is an LG 32LN5300 1080p TV.

I'm going to test if by going back to limited range by default and moving the DV slider to get full range makes it so that 0-255 levels are all displayed, I'd sacrifice constant setting of full RGB for an extra clicks into the control panel and have official image quality.

EDIT: DV slider had no effect on Full range RGB. I did find out however, that Black level set to LOW on my TV and using limited range RGB maps contrast steps 1 and 254 correctly.

So since YCbCr uses low black level and RGB limited can be expanded to full using the TV's black level setting, I won't have to go and change it every time.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014