MS wants Windows 7 to die a quick death

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by teleguy, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Unless they come up with a Windows 9 or whatever that will bring improvements especially for gaming I won't bother. So far I can live without the latest marketing DX version Windows 8 exclusive....

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well Vista was DX10 but that didn't stop people from hanging on to XP (DX9).

3. HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7990
    That's funny, here I am wanting Windows 8 to suffer a quick death.

4. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    Seriously, Microsoft needs the dagger of time. It'll greatly help them after their bad decisions or statements whatsoever, I'm sure of it.

5. VagynaFinda

VagynaFinda Guest

GPU:
    evgaSC980Ti 1.5ghz 7.8ghz
    All my gaming pc needs is an OS compatible with my mobo bios and a browser and I'm in. So, I agree! If valve as has a fully "supported" OS, one that's less demanding on my boot drive /pc, I would totally consider booting that up! Also..... not a big deal but I would hope the browser would be simple and quick like chrome as opposed to ...... internet explorer. Not a deal breaker tho.

6. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    Microsoft's main problem is the price of their operating systems. Luckily I got several copies of Windows 8 during the special offer period for €14.99.

However, expecting to pay almost €150 for the OS is ridiculous. My major Apple OS updates cost me €12.99 which is fantastic - Microsoft need to do something similar.

That said, as a long time Win 7 user, I am very very very happy with Windows 8.1, and would never go back to 7.

The reason you see so many people give out about 8/8.1 is normally word of mouth and a general fear of change, they've probably never even tried it. Also, generally, people who are happy never bother saying anything about it, whereas the people who have a bad thing to say seem to be a lot more vocal.

Just my 2 cents ;)

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    have you tried it?
    when you search something about windows you found about making a 4 cheese pizza... (exagerating but so few lol wich is dramatic for a big company like M$)

8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    no the drama where all about W8, W8.1 is what W8 should have be since the start ((button lol)).

anyway i don't think i will change as my W7 is only to play, linux is my main OS for years now and i am really happy with it (and it's free too but shhhh free cannot be in our consumer world).

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Man, I wonder about some of you. The search function for the store works. If it doesn't then check for PEBKAC.

[​IMG]

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    About M$ it isn't a bad company, but Steeve Balmer was a dinosaur with prehistoric idea way before he becaume leader...

What do you expect after years of this kind of leadership?

missed smartphone turn, wrong console choise with xbox one, wrong innovation on W8 GUI, and most of all totaly bad comunication with consumer...

hopefully he retire... good luck for the next one

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    by hack you can make work DX10 only thing on XP :)

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol....yeah so I heard.. :D

13. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    My costumers only accept Windows 8 if I personalize it like Windows 7, to sell a PC with Windows 8 I must install StarMenu8 and get rid of all metro apps, otherwise they don't want, some even ask for Windows XP....

I'm perfectly ok with Win8, I don't use ModernUI, but haven't fell the need for the Start Menu. Win + X is even better.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I couldn't care less what happens to Win7. The laptop I'm using to type this post runs Win8, my desktop runs Win8 and my HTPC runs Win8. It works flawless on all 3. My wife's laptop is the only one in my house will left running Win7. These are likely to be my last Windows based PCs anyway. Linux is becoming more and more capable as a consumer OS every day and hopefully we'll see more devs start moving to OpenGL soon. Maybe we'll all get lucky and Windows will have some competition....

If you need a browser, you might want to do some more reading as reportedly, SteamOS will not have a browser, nor support for one. Valve wants it to be strictly for gaming and entertainment (which they'll control).... It's not going to be a Windows replacement OS by any means. You'll be restricted to what Linux compatible games exist on Steam, aside from st.reaming Windows/OSX compatible games to SteamOS from a Windows or OSX based computer.

15. makaveli316

makaveli316 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    lol so funny....i remember the whining people when 7 came out. All that crap talking and how the OS is just an update of vista and XP is a lot better and bla bla bla bla bla.
    Remember the holly comparison between 7 and XP and how people actually believed that XP was better and 7 only had the fancy looks and directx 11?

All those same people are now bashing the new OS system and praising windows 7.
    People are so stupid.
    I actually hope Microsoft puts out on the market a new OS every year, just for the comments :wanker:

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Ignorance is bliss.

I do not have anything against Windows 8 myself, I run it both at home as at work without it giving me huge issues.
    But not everyone can use it in it's current state.

Our company did try to install it on a few selected developer PC's together with Visual Studio 2012, but Windows 8 did break MS own product cause of UAC conflicts etc., server code needs different rights compared to pure client code, something MS forgot in the rush.
    So we where forced to install Windows 7 on these machines instead.

We would even love to run Windows Server 2012 on all our servers, but again, we can't, since we use software that isn't compatible with it.
    And that even goes for some of the latest releases from Adobe, Cold Fusion as example.

Besides that, a lot of small companies use very old software that can't run on anything beyond Windows XP.
    Migrating all their data over to new software just to have them run a newer Windows version will cost a fortune, something small companies can't afford., not everything is Enterprise, again something that MS either forgot or doesn't care about.

17. makaveli316

makaveli316 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    I'm talking about the "normal" user. Those funny people who are making statements (hating) on whatever OS (this case windows 8, few years back windows 7). I say funny people, cause they make me laugh, when they say stuff like "windows 8 sucks, 7 is way better" and i'm pretty sure the only things they do on windows 7 is browsing the web, listen to music, watch videos and maybe play some games.
    I understand the companies, but those funny people.....they are just that - funny.

18. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If that's all they do, then they don't need Windows 8 in all fairness. It's just another added cost that doesn't really benefit the majority. I'm still using Windows 7 and likely will be for awhile yet, and it isn't out of hatred for Windows 8. It's simply for the fact Windows 8 will do nothing to improve my computing experience. For those who already own a copy of Windows 7 I'd be hard pressed to recommend that they update to Windows 8. Those in need of a new Windows license on the other hand, I see no reason not to go for Win8.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I can understand sticking with Windows7 if Windows8 adds nothing to your computing experience. I can understanding sticking with Windows7 if you're not in need of a new Windows license. What I can't understand, is the need to bash Windows8 that so many seem to feel. If you don't like it, fine...stick with what you have. Everyone has their own needs and no OS is perfect for everyone. Personally, Windows8 fits my usage better than Win9x-Win7 ever did. For me, Windows8 is exactly what I've been waiting for since 1995. Is it perfect for me? No...but it's better than what MS put out over the previous 17 years. That is all that should really matter. What OS works best for YOU....or your customers (which is for them to decide, not you). But to bash an OS just because you don't like it is childish.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    They won't need Windows 8 to be honest.
    Windows 8 has a few edges over Windows 7, but it also lacks some features, I guess the lacking part is what people dislike.
    But then they should write about it in a constructive way instead of just bashing at it.
    I find Windows 8 much better than 7, although, I do not use the apps and start screen, plus I miss Windows Media Center, but that can be bought for a few bucks since I have a pro license, although, I'm thinking about getting a NAS box for ******ing instead.