AMD R9 290X BF4 Edition - No Specs No Price

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-r9-290x-battlefield-4-edition-8000-specs-pre-order_125224

All aboard the massive AMD fail boat! :D

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This is a bad idea.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I would not preorder anything without verifiable information ie credible benches, specs and price.

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    So card and game comes out in end of october....mantel game patch for said game comes out in dec
    Never know thuo... by chrismas it may be in card bundles.

5. Hardware Killer

Hardware Killer Member Guru

GPU:
    7970 Lightning Quadfire
    By Christmas BF4 may run properly:)

I'll wait for Lightnings, but I have been frustrated over the years, been running ATI quadfire every gen since the 3000 series, early adopters have issues, sell cheap buy expensive NVidia cards and a couple of months later the red team sort out their **** and you end up with great cards

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Somebody is smoking something very strong over @ AMD.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Price and specs will be known soon enough.

8. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    What is that cry about ? It's the same situation as if you would pre-order game. You really don't know what will you get. Only speculation or info from trailers. It may be great (BF3) or a flop (Sim City). If you don't like it you can always return it.

9. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I call bull5hit.

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Its absolutely rediculous, as if you would pre-order something you know nothing about, or what the price is, and theres even nothing about wether the deposits refundable if you want to cancel, i bet 780 sales have picked up a bit now. :p

EDIT: Only thing i can think of as to why AMD have done this, is the card is actually a cracker, as if not, its going to backfire spectacular on them, i still wouldn't take that chance though, still, im not bothered about BF games, so i can wait for the final specs, price, and the performance reviews before i decide.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Yeah maybe chrismas 2014 :)

Thats the thing i like to go sli/cf and i hate waiting around for basic fixes or just things that suck for overclocking.so in my case i just sell fast to make me not just take a baseball bat to the problem cards.

12. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    a game doesnt cost £500+....

yeah you take a punt sometimes when u pre-order e.g rome2 but more than likely you know the risk and it's only gonna set u back £25 perhaps...that's not like buying a high end gpu....

but u can send it back I suppose. pain in the ass though..

this is a joke move from AMD if true and i'd say they can shove it up their...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah its a very bad move, i hope it turns out to be a cracking card, or they are gona have some egg on their faces :p

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Id like to know why exactly they are doing this.

Shouldnt it be up to the Add-In board partners to decide this and not AMD themselves ? really strange.

15. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    an attempt at a clever marketing ploy? trying to create hype that this card isnt 2 be missed....?

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Sounds more like the add-in parters got a discount and they are being forced to do so.

17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Not a fan of being completely in the dark such as no word on pricing and even rudimentary specs. Sure we know this card is going to at least be somewhere near the performance of a 7970 or greater, but we can't know for sure.

I don't think unless you're a hardcore AMD graphics fan would you place a pre-order without knowing what you're getting and for what price.

deltatux

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    It'll be well above the performance of 7970. 280x is a rebranded 7970ghz. 290x is 2 models above it.

19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Well besides the cost and it's hardware versus software...When did it become the situation where you purchase an expensive product without even knowing the basic performance beyond the questionable claims of the manufacturer? If Nvidia tried this, the AMD crowd would be going nuts.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't pre-order games either, so definitely won't be doing this.

This would all be fine if the specs and price were announced before it was released, that way if it turns out to be crap you could cancel and have your deposit refunded.

Since that never happen, the card will likely be on it's way to you by the time you've saw reviews.

Even worse, what if it turns out to be alot more expensive than some are expecting and they can't afford it?
    Will they just take the money leaving you broke, or maxing the credit card?

I'm also disappointed its not part of the standard game bundles, BF4 is a game i would like to play but not enough to pay the full price, so was hoping it would come with the card.