Desktop died / New budget build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Adicto, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Adicto

Adicto Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    Long story short: Desktop stopped working suddenly.
    No POST screen, no BIOS, NOTHING. Monitor doesnt shows ANYTHING.

I've tried:
    -Make sure everything is plugged and seated properly
    -Disassembled, cleaned and assembled back again
    -Clearing CMOS

I built this desktop 5 years ago and almost a year ago i upgraded 2 components. I bought a used CPU (Intel Q8200) on eBay and 2 new RAM sticks.
    Now just almost a year after the upgrades my PC died suddenly.

Based on my "limited" knowledge my best guess would be that the CPU died.
    Reasons why i think the CPU died are:
    -If the HDDs died, it would still load POST/BIOS.
    -If the GPU died, it would still load the OS in the background (I think) but it doesnt, i know because once it loads the OS the fans slow down which NEVER happens even if i leave it for over 10 mins. (It only takes like a min to load)
    -So it is either the CPU, Motherboard or PSU and i cant test each module separately since i dont have spare parts.

Now im trying to decide if i should pay $$ to a shop so they "diagnose" what is the problem or i should just dump this crap and build a new PC. (I think the second option would be the best)

Now comes the new build.
    Im on a tight budget and i dont game as much as before, just casual gaming.
    My budget is $300-$400 and i need new RAM, CPU, Motherboard and GPU.
    I was thinking of an AMD build (Best bang for the buck).
    What i have on my mind is an AMD FX-8320 + HD7850 + 8GB but im open to suggestions so i need your help guys!

So what do you think? Should i try to fix it and call it a day or should i build a new PC?
    If its a new PC . . .What do you guys recommend for a new build that is within my budget? (Im open to anything . . . Intel, Nvidia, AMD)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Sounds like the GPU to me, especially if the fans never stop spinning full speed. It's hanging on a self diagnostic. That, along with no display makes it the primary suspect. With that budget I would replace it anyway with something like a 7850. Then, even if you're wrong, you'll still have enough left to replace the actual culprit and your system will be much better overall.

3. Adicto

Adicto Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    Now that makes sense because i do hear the HDD's working properly . . .
    Damn now i need a spare GPU from someone and i dont know anyone that is into PC's DIY.
    The reason why i dont want to purchase only the GPU is because i order them from USA and ship em internationally to where i live and it is not cheap and takes WEEKS so shipping everything together would save me time and money.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Can't you grab a cheap second hand card for $20 or something locally just to check? Might save you money in the end, and it's always worth having a spare.

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I've had the same thing happen with a failed hard drive,dvd drive try just unplugging everything not needed for post.Bare minimum to troubleshoot before you declare it dead.It could very well be dead but I would suspect motherboard before cpu. Actually just had a P4 system same thing was the motherboard and under close examination bulging caps right beside the cpu socket.That old time for an upgrade anyway :) .

6. Adicto

Adicto Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    Seems liek ICE was spot on, i borrowed a GPU from a friend and everything is working fine.
    Before i go ahead and buy a new GPU i will try to bake the **** out of it to see if it revives.
    What temperature and how long you guys recommend me to bake it?

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=696061#719468

8. Adicto

Adicto Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    Already checked that thread (Found through Google).
    Anyways, im gonna try to bake it tonight and see what happens. I might upgrade the GPU they AMD launches the R9-R7.

9. Adicto

Adicto Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    Tried to bake the GPU twice . . . no luck.
    Already ordered an AMD HD7850.
    I hope my Q8200 doesnt bottlenecks the HD7850. (I have it OC'ed with a Cooler Master 212 EVO)

10. Timo2

Timo2 Guest

GPU:
    9600m GT (280 burned out)
    Hi man. Don't know you but wait! I don't know where you're from but do not buy any stuff for 2 weeks until we, the public know what's happening with the '88 FM2+ amd boards- as they might cost $50 and give you the cool gaming power. Wait!

11. Adicto

Adicto Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    I dont think ill be upgrading the CPU/Mobo since the CPU is fine. At the beginning i thought the CPU was the problem thats why i wanted to change the whole thing but now that i-ve found out the problem was the GPU ill just keep rocking this P35-DS3L and Q8200 for a while. :banana:
    The last thing i want to ugprade is the RAM but DDR2 is so frigging expensive. :bang: (Currently have 6GB)
    I might just get some used RAM sticks on eBay.

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You'll be fine, the improvement you will see is massive. An 8200 will bottleneck it a bit, but not enough to worry about.