Outlast - a new Survival-Horror game by Red Barrels Games

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by The Michael, Oct 17, 2012.

1. t0bber166

t0bber166 Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti / 11GB

0x03402005

Works really well

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  2. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    well, on my side it shure does run better..
    i have higher frames and more stable..(with sgssaa and sweetfx)
    the diff is not big in fps, around 5 - 7 maybe, but its more FPS stable, smoother..

i deffo stay with the 64bit exec..now i only have to find an 64bit OSD, cause im interessted in the Data, hehe..

3. kaneos

kaneos Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 1080 TI
    In this game, the film grain is very well appropriated. It contributes to make this scary and beautiful atmosphere. It's like we were in a mansion in the 60's or the reporter has some vision problems because of his fear.

In Remember me or other games, i generally want to disable the effect like everyone else but here hell no :)

Do you know if we can use a resolution different from the screen native by editing the ini because in the menu it's impossible.

i found :)

4. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That flag doesn't work for me, i tried 4xMSAA but i still notice jaggies like noAA.

5. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    So, are you guys enjoying the game?

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Very much, the level of quality in this game is just insane for such a small title (borderline indie title really).

Remember all the slender man games and how primitive they looked and felt, but even if you hated the game you could still see what it was trying to achieve and do. Well this game takes that idea and multiplies it tenfold.

- Excellent Graphics, very moody extremely good lighting, shadows, etc.

- Great performance, solid 60fps maxed out with a few stutters when loading new areas up but .ini tweaks have sorted that out.

- Nice story, pretty engaging and well thought out whilst still being pretty simple.

- The controls are spot on and REALLY suits mouse and keyboard very well. I tried my xbox controller and it felt slow, clunky, and unresponsive.

- Some of the best sound design and musical score I have ever heard in a game and seriously adds to the suspense and tension.

- Did I mention that this game is ****ING TERRIFYING!!!

7. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Yes it's very terrifying, especially that fat ass dude. :)

The scissor guy is also good but the final of the game is a bit less entertaining.

But props for it, games like these deserve the money they ask for.

Bring Outlast 2!

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    To be honest with the amount of people saying they already clocked it, is a little worrying. £14.99 for a 3-4 hour game with basically the same gameplay is a little bit of a rip off if you ask me. Although the production values of this game are insane for what it is, and the price for that alone and the way it makes you feel is simply outstanding so the price can be justified. However, I would of preferred them to at least mix the gameplay up a little. Entering each new area and having to do the same things, avoid monster by running/hiding, turn on X, Y, and Z to progress, wait for QTE to kill monster, wash rinse and repeat. This is the only aspect where its let down, but like I said the tension, suspense, and atmosphere alone it creates with its sound, lighting, and graphics is simply second to none. Maybe if they do a sequel they should mix up the game a little instead of having you turn things back on or off. A few puzzles would of been excellent, though traversing the hallways is a puzzle in its self. I honestly do not mind that I paid £14.99 for the game, the devs really do deserve every single penny for the hard work no doubt about that, it is testament to how good it is that I don't want it to end.

9. Warpy

Warpy Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Which nvidia inspector profile are you guys using since I dont have Outlast listed with the latest betas?

10. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Yeah, it would be nice to have some weapons even if they had to be used in some special ocasions. Something like a hammer or a baseball bat.

11. Warpy

Warpy Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Then it would turn into Doom 3

12. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    No, just Outlast 1.1. :)

13. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    For me the game lacks some things even though it is a great title and has plenty of atmosphere.

It needs some form of decoy, throw some item in a direction away from you to decoy the enemy so you can get around them.

There seems no incentive to explore, looking for batteries is great, but when you have 7+ batteries the whole time there seems to be no reward for exploring any further then you have to.

I'm up to the 3rd area and being taunted by the same dopey fat f#@k for 3 levels is starting to get dull and annoying.

Edit: Same taunting dopey fat f#@k 4 levels in to the game.
    The game has lost my interest, don't think I can bother persisting with it any further.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  14. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    lol

the fk fat ass dude will appear in the end of the game as well, the end is quite boring.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  15. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    This game stopped being scarey after the first few monster encounters. Sure it still made me jump a few times afterwards but I didn't have that constant stress or despair that Amnesia: The Dark Descent gave me. As for the final part of the game, it felt more like F.E.A.R. without guns. I still enjoyed the game overall, but am slightly disappointed.... oh well. Hopefully A Machine for Pigs will be scarier.

16. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Considering A Machine for Pigs is following the Amnesia formula pretty closely, I have serious doubts on it's ability to be scary.

I personally found Amnesia really boring. It wasn't bad, just... as a little bit it becomes clear that... there's no real danger. And the tension just vanishes.

17. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    ^^ I'd say the same goes for this game. Especially the ending. I wasn't afraid when running or afraid of dying at the end. I'm a little worried Machine for Pigs won't deliver either.

I wish they'd make it more like Amnesia: Justine. When you're trying to save everyone at the end and you know if you die you'll have to start all over at the beginning was really stressful for me! Maybe if they made these games with checkpoint intervals and not the "quit and save" feature it may be more stressful since you'd be afraid of dying, restarting and reliving the stressful situation again. Also I feel like in this game you see too much of the monsters. They should leave it up to the imagination. The unknown or unexplainable will always be scarier IMHO.

Still, I commend these devs and wish to see more of Outlast or games like it from them. I give Outlast an 8/10.

18. kaneos

kaneos Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 1080 TI
    The fear is different for each person.
    Some guys will be more scared by Amnesia, others by Outlast (like me) or even Dead space.
    This is very subjective.

19. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I find it hard to be scared by a video game.
    I've had some that have built tension and made me uneasy. But... being actually scared or afraid...

It's hard to be scared when the worst thing that can happen is you have to reload a save game.

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yea its not really about being scared or afraid. I have not had that since I played Resident Evil 1 on the PS1 when I was like 7 years old but that was when I was a child. Now its not so much being scared or afraid its that feeling of tension, unease, and being uncomfortable that you know something is either chasing you or after you and you don't know where it is or when you do it makes you jump. Sure this type of horror is pretty cheap and easy to replicate but it works. Just look at how many horrror games we have gotten on PC in the last three years! These games have a small budget, the graphics department does not really matter as making someone jump is pretty easy to do if you creep up on them.

For years we have had tons of "horror" games that just fall flap on their face for being no scary or creepy. Now since the Slender games have been so popular we have had a slue of games come out and whilst too much can be a bad thing it is nice to see that there is an easy way for first time devs to get their foot on the ladder and maybe hopefully get a good job at the end of it. This game (Outlast) being this developers first game is a shocking thought, the game is top notch and they can only go up from here.

I would love an Outlast 2, maybe in a different settings or a variety of different settings, with actual puzzles rather than the repetitive "push X, Y and Z buttons, and progress" gameplay we have in this game. I would also like for them to try out a coop mode, with ONLY two people. In a lot of coop horror games it doesn't work at all. Dead Space 3 that didn't work, Resident Evil 5 and 6 that was a disaster. But in a game like this I think it could work if done carefully and done right.