Rome 2: Total War?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Only part of the benchmark that matters is towards the end when the fight begins... that's reflective of in-game performance.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah the benchmark is basically one of the historical battles and ends just moments after the game would have begun after a small intro scene. :)

It's a good tech test though but like the above reply also stated it's not a true indicative of actual game performance, more of a stress test but it's a decent method of comparing the visual settings and their impact on performance.
    (Though it does not cover the world map performance which starts pretty well but from my testing it can quickly degrade after a couple of turns.)

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
  4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I downloaded the small beta patch and only saw a small improvement from 42.2 fps to 42.7 fps on Extreme 1920x1200 settings with AA On, Vegetation Alpha On and DOF set to High. I think that might actually be because I ran the previous benchmark with v-sync on (I noticed the benchmark hit 66 fps at one point in the second run). So if this patch is supposed to improvement performance then it has done nothing for me, granted 42.7 fps is not exactly a bad framerate for such a demanding game.

5. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    If that's from the in-game benchmark then average FPS is a very misleading indicator as the first 2/3 of the benchmark bloats the FPS average up by rendering very little.

I get average of 48 on that benchmark using lower setting but that is because it gives me 80+ fps when there are like 2 units shown, then tanks to 20 or less fps when more realistic number of units are shown towards the end... and this game's selling point isn't waging bunch of skirmish battles so yeah :(

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Oh, that's just hilarious. :D

7. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    ya, on compaign map my vram usage (shown in afterburner) is ~40% max. and when ai turns its a slide show, only a few fps, lol. But that was always the problem when ai is moving.

Edit:
    I gained a huge fps boost in campaign map and battles, really...wow...

Changed gfx_direct_resource_access false; # gfx_direct_resource_access <bool>, Enable Direct Resource Access # to true &
    gfx_video_memory -2147483648; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) # (if you have more than 2gb gpu ram than you maybe need to adjust that number, im also still experimenting*)

*gave me 150mb more gpu mem used in comparison to value 0 and also 3fps. changing to other values makes no different (make the game think you have 3gb gpu ram e.g.)

C:\Users\###\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2\scripts\preferences.script.txt

Heres my whole config in case someone needs to know and compare. (make it read only!)
    (im using FXAA through driver, thats why i disabled MLAA, i think its a good choice and i really dont want to play without AA).

http://pastebin.com/Hd9UnbuB

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  8. PCElite

PCElite Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Damn Duke, you are a life saver. Thank you.

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  10. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Oh wow... everyone just go check out custom battle and how you can select your map.

That is COOL!

11. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    We'll, I couldn't resist buying this game in the end... Hopefully any bugs are sorted, but I've always loved TW. Has any one given the new beta 13.10's a go. At work atm so can't test.

12. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    I got a few fps boost in single card, so it somewhat works.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It's supposed to bring all bunch of fps, otherwise it's still unplayable.

14. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Not related to the performance of the game, but more with quality control, or lack of. The intro videos of the last Total War games has been very well done, High quality videos. The one in Rome II in some places you can see blocky sections (in the sky in certain sections). Like its been rendered at a lower quality.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The intro video is appalling quality IMO considering this is currently a PC-only title. It's full of macro-blocking and noticeable colour banding due to the poor compression algorithm used. A shame really because the video content itself is really good. The video is so bad in my view that it looks like it was taken from the Xbox 360 version!!! Considering the game is already 20 GB in size, you would think that a couple more gig for a higher quality video wouldn't make that much difference.

Yeah, you'd only watch it once anyway but it does distract from the overall polish of the game and it is the first thing you see when you load the game up for the first time. As they say, first impressions last...

16. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    I've sent this back for an agreed refund today. Having been a long time fan of Total War, I've become increasingly fed up with the broken products they release. I might look at it again in the future, but from what I played of it, there were issues that I'm sure will never be fully resolved.

Thoroughly disappointed. I'm returning to Civ V in the short term, but now also going to be looking at Europa IV and Crusader Kings II. And at times I will return to Medieval II, which imo was Total Wars finest hour.

17. evohan

evohan Guest

GPU:
    Asus DCU2 GTX670 4GB SLI
    another low gpu usage problem

[​IMG]

18. PCElite

PCElite Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Yeah, when you zoom it tanks.:bang:

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Has anyone got the pre-order Greek States Culture Pack DLC code yet here in the UK? Amazon advertised it when I pre-ordered the game from them last week but the code did not come with the game nor have they emailed it to me.

20. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Contact their customer support. I too ordered from Amazon (but US division) and I had to contact them to get that DLC code. It's pretty responsive for customer support, I got my live agent in like 25 seconds or less.