MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 14(2013-08-16)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Aug 16, 2013.

1. sz_sz

sz_sz Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX680 JetStream 4G
    I do understand the instructions. I'd just like to confirm that this voltage contol trick will not work with GTX680 even it has a NCP4206.

2. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Hi guys.
    Can you help me to understand if I am doing something wrong. I installed MSI 3.0.0 and the lates Rivertuner Statistic Server. When I start BF3 there is nothing on the screen. I mean my OSD is not showing anything.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It WILL work if there is NCP4206 onboard. If it doesn't work then either there is no NCP4206 or you don't follow the instructions properly. There are no other cases, there is no any GPU model or brand restriction like "only for GTX690 or GTX7x0". If there is such VRM - it can be accessed via I2C bus CLI. And if you cannot get it working - just leave it as is, I won't be able to help you resolving your mistake, sorry. The amount of flood related to this damn voltage control from new 1-post guys coming here with "gimme more voltage" became totally insane.

4. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    A small tutorial of how I did it. Operating system/different cards might require some tweaking according to the settings used, so adjust them accordingly please.

1) Completely uninstall MSI Afterburner whatever version that might be. Don't keep files if asked and make sure it fully uninstalled. Download again MSI AB Beta14 from HERE or for Lighting editions HERE.

2) Start MSI Afterburner Beta14 and go to Settings and in first page, tick accordingly to the screenie. Then press OK and close MSI AB Beta14. Make sure its closed.

[​IMG]

3) Navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles" folder and you should have 1 file starting with "VEN_10DE&DEV" or 2 files if you are using SLi.

[​IMG]

4) a) Make sure you have ADMIN rights/account and open the 1st "VEN_10DE&DEV". It will ask you to select a program to open it with. Choose Wordpad/Notepad.
    ---b) Also make sure you UN-TICK the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" IF you don't want to always use that program to open this kind of files.

5)Now that you have open the file in the Wordpad/Notepad or editor of your choice add the following parameters in the end like in the screenshot.

[Settings]
    VDDC_Generic_Detection = 0
    VDDC_NCP4206_Detection = 3:20h

Or alternatively you can the 4:20h parameter as in below:

[Settings]
    VDDC_Generic_Detection = 0
    VDDC_NCP4206_Detection = 4:20h

[​IMG]

Repeat with the 2nd "VEN_10DE&DEV" file if using SLi.

Save the document(s) and open MSI AB Beta14. VoilĂ ! Voltage control. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013

5. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    Sometimes i regret having a 3930K :banana:
    But well, hardware encoded h264 sounds nice... but is the limit from quicksync at 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 ? certainly won't do 5760x1080 :infinity:
    Ah well... gotta try out CPU load when using QuickSync emulation :)
    (any word on Resolution limitation in the emulation ? guess 4096x2100 ?)

6. Unwinder

AFAIR QuickSync supports up to 4096x4096 resolutions.

7. famich

famich Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780TI SLI@1250
    Hello, I have ordered the new GTX 780 Lightning.

Unwinder, is there any chance that you ll do some unlocked version of AFB for this card, please ?

There is so called RBBY s tool floating at OCN , but it looks cumbersome
    and I d like to see something much more elaborate from you .Last year I have enjoyed immensely GTX 680 Lightning with AFB 223 , I believe.

Kudos to you and your work !

8. Portuogral

Portuogral Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Yes, the 3:20h parameter seams to be working fine with non-MSI cards.
    If I didn't miss any feedback and in this thread alone, it was tested and confirmed with ASUS, EVGA, PALIT and PNY cards.

Offtopic
    Unwinder, thank you so much for your effort and support. Forget those immature, selfish and ungrateful lamers; they just aren't worthy.

9. famich

famich Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780TI SLI@1250
    Yes, good point - with this blissful information now anyone can boost up the voltage even on reference cards -what to want more.:)

10. Caedo

Caedo Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 680 2GB
    Thanks to Koniakki's guide, I can confirm that my reference EVGA GTX 680s do not have the necessary voltage controller for more jiggawatts. :(

11. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Are you completely sure? Afaik according to TP the 780 ACX with it reference PCB uses the NCP4206 controller. So its possible for the EVGA 680 to have on too. Not exactly apples-to-apples I know.

Well I will try to look for some confirmation if indeed the EVGA 680 doeasn't have the NCP4206.

Also Caedo send me a link of your exact card model if you wish and I will try to look further into it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  12. Unwinder

Reference 680 design uses Richtek RT8802A VRM.

13. oscarbg

oscarbg Guest

GPU:
    asus geforce 470
    Hi Unwinder,
    first thanks for your great work now hope you can answer some questions:
    *Does QuickSync encode support all APIs i.e. also OpenGL games if not also latest driver offer WGL_NV_dx_interop so you can get DX textures from GL textures and viceversa I think..
    *I own a Nehalem CPU and a AMD 7970 which has also a video encoder VCE.. so I can't use no shadowplay nor QuickSync.. do you plan to add support for AMD VCE encode (seems an AMD Media SDK is coming soon meanwhile we have a openEncode simple at http://bit.ly/18qsLIy showing how to use with interop to OpenCL but anyway OpenCL has DX and OGL interop so should be doable.. In fact I have modified code of this simple encoding from OGL frames.. if you don't plan to add support perhaps open sourcing quicksync plugin I can modify to support VCE also? what do you think?
    thanks!

14. ageps

ageps Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7850 2GB
    I can't get the QuickSync encoding to work for some reason.
    I have followed the info posted and the strange thing is that Action! works flawlessly with QuickSync encoding, but MSI just gives me the error message "Failed to encode frame!". If I try to record anyway I get sound but just a black image.
    I am using Direct3D9 and forced monitor recognition like the guide for Action! told me to.

Specs:
    CPU - Intel i5-2500K
    Motherboard - Asus z68-V Gen3 (with onboard graphics turned on, and it appears in device manager next to my AMD graphics card)
    Intel HD 3000 drivers - 9.17.10.3223

Video recorded with Action! using QuickSync.

15. Unwinder

QuickSync encoder communicates with Intel driver via Direct3D (either Direct3D9 Ex or Direcrt3D 11.1 depending on the user choice). But all access to 3D API is abstracted and invisible to the plugins, AB capture engine takes care about grabbing frames from any 3D API and supply input RBG frames to the encoder plugin via system memory.

I don't plan to develop VCE plugin myself but I definitively plan to provide plugins SDK and sample plugin source code to let the community to support CUDA, VCE or anything else. Not sure how fast we'll release the SDK though, if you wish to play with source code - contact me via PM and I'll send you QuickSync plugin source code via email.

16. Unwinder

Sorry but all new 1-post users coming here with "Action/DXtory is so much better and just works but I cannot get AB working" should just keep using different tools. Cannot help you, sorry again.

17. Unwinder

All

Sadly my vacation is almost over and I'm back to work on this Monday. I spent some time working on AB during the vacation, here are the latest development news:

- During polishing QuickSync plugin and squeezing all possible performance juices from it I really needed to see more system performance data on my OSD. So I added CPU usage, RAM usage, pagefile usage and CPU temperatures to AB hardware monitoring graphs for my development needs. I still really don't want to open the "jar of worms" and turn AB from GPU oriented to system wide hardware monitoring tool and deal with a lot of new "I want mobo XXX / CPU YYY support ASAP" users so I was thinking about removing this functionality after the end of plugin debugging process and leaving it for my private builds only, but decided to give it a try. So with the next beta it will be possible to monitor CPU usage, RAM usage, pagefile and CPU temps (Intel Nehalem and newer CPUs only) directly in MSI Afterburner. But the functionality will be provided AS IS with no support and demands to extend it further, I'll target hardware specific things on my development PC only.
    - Desktop videocapture feature is finally back for Windows 8. It is using Windows 8 desktop duplication API and it is much MUCH faster than it was under Windows 7 and Vista. In fact capturing 1080p desktop video at 60 FPS doesn't slow down desktop GUI response at all, so I even added video recording indicator (flashing red "R" in bottom right corner of monitoring window) to allow you to see that you're recording something.

18. ageps

ageps Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7850 2GB
    Wow don't get me wrong. I am not trying to say Action is better or anything. The reason why I mentioned Action! is to show that my setup should work, but for some reason doesn't. I thought you'd be interested in feedback so I gave as much details as possible and showed you what happens when I try to record. The reason I ask for help is because I'd rather use AB for recording.

If you can't help me then fine. Hopefully it will work for me when this feature hits the stable build.

19. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX 3070Ti

20. fgw

fgw Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX Lightning
    if you implement hw monitoring plugin support you probably can get rid of dealing with such users as plugin developers will take care of supporting their plugins.

no idea how hard it is to implement hw monitor plugin support, but it might be worth the effort ...

anyway, still impressed what you come up with, alex!