hissing/humming sound coming out of speakers in new build, interference?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by bballfreak6, Jul 26, 2013.

1. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    well my hum eliminator came, held my breath as i plugged it all in and turned on the speakers and...silence! finally fixed it! so happy right now

2. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX Founders C
    That is great. I think that I am going to get one of those isolators just to keep handy. I am glad that it worked out.

3. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    hey thanks mate, yea pretty happy with the art dti, read good things about it before i bought it, can't say i notice any degradation in sound to my untrained ears

4. FireMan_PT

FireMan_PT Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460 FTW
    hello guys, i found a solution for my problem windows background noise,
    only remove de xfi titanium an put paper tape to isolate any contact with metal case and it work´s, hope this help some of you guys, sry for my bad english.
    ;)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

5. c4sK

c4sK Guest

GPU:
    GTX 690 4GB
    You certainly get around ragdoll lol... surprised you didn't dig this thread up as a solution for my problem lol

I have exactly the same soundcard as you with exactly the same problem. My headphones are fine but with my KRK RP5 G3 monitors the hum/buz/loop is really annoying... especially when my gpu/cpu/hdd load is high, move my mouse or sometimes even type. I went and bought some expensive cables today hoping it would fix the problem.

So buying this will work? http://www.scan.co.uk/products/artcessories-dualzdirect-twin-channel-passive-direct-injection-box

I'm purchasing the ZXR Soundcard tomorrow (for other reasons than fixing this issue)... I guess I will need 2 x XLR Cables for my speakers to this di box, and 2 x 6.3mm Jack > RCA splitter to go from the di box into my RCA ports on the soundcard?

EDIT: Surely this seems less complicated and less expensive?

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  6. c4sK

c4sK Guest

GPU:
    GTX 690 4GB
  7. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Cool :) Set your tower up on a table or something if you don't already have that setup... It might help even more :) Anyways, glad it's working better now :)

edit: a new trick, I put a couple of mouse pads under the tower, noise is very minimal, almost none...

regards
    ,RagDoll.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  8. c4sK

c4sK Guest

GPU:
    GTX 690 4GB
    Nice... will give that a try as well. Thanks :)

9. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    hey mate, sorry only got around to replying now, i read that the cheap and nasty ones can affect sound quality (like cut off frequency or something), but whether or not you can hear it is another story of course

10. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    I had the exact same issue as you, noise when connecting studio monitors via stereo out of the Titanium Hd. Was annoying me so much. I ended up buying the same ground loop isolator - and it worked. I never expected this from the Titanium Hd, especially when it has some fancy plate attached to it. The thing is, quality is diminished somewhat with the isolator and this led me to look for other solutions.

I ended up buying an external Dac - and connected it via Usb to the computer. Ground loop noise was present when connecting the Dac this way. This drove me nuts as I just spent a small fortune to eliminate the nois issue. Luckily the Dac had an Optical input, so I connected the Titanium Hd via Optical out to the Dac, the Dac connected to the speakers. Hey presto, no more noise. A solution for my gaming needs.

Far from ideal. I wanted to use the Usb feature of my Dac instead of Optical for the async Usb feature (more accurate transmission) for Music listening / producing - of course gaming would use optical for the Titanium Hd gaming effects. So i reconnected the Dac via Usb (noise came back), then I changed the wires of my studio monitors from RCA to XLR. Noise still there. I read up cutting the ground pin on the XLR wire would remove noise, so I cut the pins for both cable, noise had been eliminated.

I now had the Dac connected to the computer via Usb (which unfortunately can still transmit ground noise) but as the speakers were connected via Xlr with the ground cut there was no way for the ground loop noise to transmit from the computer to the speakers. Silence.

I see your speakers are XLR compatible. Without going extreme and upgrading the soundcard to an external Dac like i did. You could try using rca > xlr cable and cutting the ground pin.

I believe these are the cables you would need, although you may want to send a message to the seller to make sure he has the Rca/Xlr the correct way round, you wouldn't want to buy a Xlr to Rca cable - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stereo-Male-RCA-XLR-Cable/dp/B001AAZWIO

Just to make things clear :

PC > TITANIUM HD > (RCA) > KRK SPEAKERS = GROUND LOOP

PC > TITANIUM HD > (RCA) > (GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR) > KRK SPEAKERS = NO GROUND LOOP BUT DIMINISHED SOUND QUALITY

PC > TITANIUM HD > (RCA TO XLR CABLE WITH GROUND PIN CUT) > KRK SPEAKERS = NO GROUND LOOP AND UNTOUCHED SOUND
    (solution)

Just a reminder. However tempted, never remove the ground from the power cable/plug.

Last edited: May 11, 2014

11. c4sK

c4sK Guest

GPU:
    GTX 690 4GB
    Thanks for the soluton... however, I have been told that because the RCA socket is unbalanced, there is nowhere for the ground to go anyway... can you explain in more detail about why cutting the ground will eliminate the interference please?

In the meantime, I have just ordered this cable (RCA>XLR with ground cut) to try and fix the problem. http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/4050/fisual-havana-custom-made-xlr-cable/

If all else fails I have been told that grounding my PC to the speakers will do the trick as well. If that fails then I'll have to go the most expensive route and buy this - http://www.vtx.co.uk/product.aspx?id=64

Will report back when my cables arrive...

Last edited: May 12, 2014