The Origin Great Game Guarantee.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Major Melchett, Aug 20, 2013.

1. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    What Valve needs to do, Steam sucks.

2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    the good old days^ free demos+online beta testing...

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've had no issues with EA myself. I'm aware of their reputation and I've heard/read horror stories from people who have dealt with them. I've never had the same experience. I bought the Medal of Honor anniversary edition a few years back. It was missing 3 product keys. I e-mailed EA that evening and had 3 new products keys sitting in my inbox the next morning, no questions asked. I like RPG style games. As long as the game is good, I'll buy. Doesn't really matter who produces it as long as the DRM isn't intrusive.

EA isn't the only company that's neglected to offer a refund policy in the past... There are other companies that don't offer refunds.

4. peshkohacka

peshkohacka Member Guru

GPU:
    ***8962;

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    So if I bought a game via retail I'm SOL? No difference then :p

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well played by EA, well played.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    They said speak to the shop you bought it from, think they will still tell you to bolt as they would then have to implement some sort of system to revoke the key and I doubt many retail places will want to have the extra hassle.

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Won't happen over here that's for sure.

9. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Except many EA games in recent years do have intrusive DRM.
    Not to mention that they are notorious for buying up and destroying popular franchises.
    Just look at Command & Conquer 4, SimCity(2013) and Mass Effect 3(which while decent was considerably dumbed down compared to previous titles).

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Exactly, so you can now get a refund if anyone thinks a game has intrusive DRM or is dumbed down.

Certainly takes the risk out of buying PC games, which is one of the biggest negatives when it comes to PC gaming.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Same, I don't have any real problems with EA. Origin is well made and simple.

12. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    It's a noble gesture but it seems a given that it's going to be abused much, much more than legitimately used, or at least that's the way it seems by the reactions I've seen here and on other sites. For every one honest person on the internet there are a hundred lying, thieving scumbags who are looking for the next easy way to screw somebody or some company over. Not that many of those very same companies are any better, mind you. But two wrongs don't make a right. :p

I predict a revision or omission of this policy in the near future. :)

Maybe it's just me, but it's been a very long time since I've bought a game without knowing what I was getting into first. Sure, I've bought games I didn't like lately, but I knew there was that chance when I entered my credit card info. DRM or a bad game isn't really a legitimate reason to return a game nowadays with just about everybody having instant access to the internet.

I also expect to see a lot of people giving up after a couple hours of game play and returning a game that otherwise might have grew on them if they had kept with it. I know from personal experience that there's plenty of games that have dragged on in the first half of the game, only to be a blast in the last half.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I would dread contacting EA's support. I've been trying to catch hold of them on their chat support but no luck .. the entire week. Email support simply closed my ticket and asked me to call support in America (!?). My problem? I just want to change my security question/answer :-/

14. VeeHexx

VeeHexx Member

..they could just release demos of games.
    Half the issue is people cannot play the game unless they buy it, and that puts me off alot of possible games. I'm sure it does with other people too.

15. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Most things like this have a over 20% rule on them.

So basically if you complete more than 20% of the game you won't get a refund.

16. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    1080 Waterforce 2139/5500

I know Origin uses Digital River and I have/had the same issue. Started back with Tera, anyone using Digital River as their billing partner I'd get "Payment Authorization Failed" took 18 months to get it fixed after I finally emailed DR and the person who responded fixed it (with out me giving them any info - might have been based off the email I used to send) by making adjustments to my "account" (not sure what account they're talking about). It worked once, next time I tried buying a game the problem came back, emailed again and fixed it. Haven't bought anything using DR since so not sure if it'll happen again.