Adobe Flash HW Acceleration / AMD Overdrive driver bug - who else can reproduce this?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by freibooter, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Joe 69

Joe 69 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 1GB
    Espionage, I understand (and it's even logic) that playing the same game with different drivers /bios will give different results so blaming amd will be right, but playing the same video with different flash/browsers is not the same....... are you sure that these different results is wholly an amd (driver/bios/card) fault or, as I think, it depends not from amd by itself, but from how every single program “uses” amd ??

In other words, why blaming amd if every single program (flash/browser) requires and wants from amd less or more power/resources for playing the same video/game or requires and wants from amd different accelarations?

I think here, in this case, we have to understand other things.........a program to work "needs" and "wants".......driver/card "gives" what the program "wants"....so you can blame amd if he can't "give" what is asked (thats why we change drivers)......
    Maybe I'm wrong, but this is what I think

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. freibooter

freibooter Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280X 3GB OC
    The problem is clearly the way AMD implements video hardware acceleration in form of UVD. Nvidia's PureVideo HD doesn't have these problems.

UVD is AMD's official way of doing HW accelerated video. You can't blame developers of programs or plugins making use of UVD, it's what AMD wants them to do.

The fact that e.g. Chrome produces smooth and GPU aided video playback without triggering AMD's UVD clocks only means that it almost certainly doesn't use UVD to do so.

Yes, I guess we could beg Adobe, Microsoft and co. to stop using AMD's UVD for HW video ... or we could keep begging AMD to fix UVD instead.

At this point I honestly no longer know what would be less futile ...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  3. Joe 69

Joe 69 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 1GB

Well........I have to recognize that even this is right....

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    For Christs sake bro did you really need to post a 4800x900 res screenshot? Have some sense..

Please reduce it to 1280x1024 which is the forum's maximum image size.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

5. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Most (if not all) other forums I've posted such large screenshots in auto-resize it to the max... If 1280x1024 is the forum's max image size, why didn't it resize to that?

I took the screenshots as they were, and needed the full area of the 3 monitors to fully display all programs and proof.

Plus, the text on the shots is relatively small. Resizing it would of rendered the text harder to read unless you were sitting up-close or used zoom, and that wasn't my intent.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Auto resize is not available on this site (yet), maybe in the future we will have it. Until then please limit all pics to 1280x1024 or they will be removed.
    Photobucket or imageshack etc can resize pics when you upload to their servers...

Thanks.

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Sorry for the inconvenience; re-upped

8. ZeAk

ZeAk Guest

GPU:
    GMA 3600
    I have replicated this on a Sapphire 7970, Single Monitor, Windows 7. Used MSI afterburner to change clocks.

This issue has been bugging me since i switched to AMD a year ago. When the card is still in a non-default 3d clock and you play a video(youtube or local files) with hardware acceleration, the display driver would crash 100% of the time. Never experienced this on my previous GTX 460.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  9. WaxPaper

WaxPaper Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 5870 (Mobile)
    I have NO idea if this will influence the problem you guys are having, but it's worth mentioning... Try to change your "Flash WMode" via a userscript like YouTube Center (oh, and here's the Firefox "no restart required" addon version, if you don't like userscripts), or by changing these values by other means... You'd have to Google that, though.

Here's the deal with Flash WMode, quoted from here:

For example, try the "direct" or maybe even "gpu" mode... I haven't been experiencing exactly the same issues described in this thread, although after switching to "direct" mode I did notice a perceived difference in rendering problems, and better overall performance.

Like I said, there may be other ways of changing the default setting in Adobe Flash without using a script or addon, but you'd have to look it up. The only reason I ran across this in the first place was because I've been using YouTube Center for a couple years now (it's the best "all-in-one" YouTube tweaker and enhancer, in my opinion).

Cheers...

10. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

11. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Now they are making me jealous :D

12. freibooter

freibooter Active Member

GPU:
    Well, it's not that UVD doesn't work. It always did on Windows; quite as intended, even with Adobe Flash.

It's just that it is technically incompatible with AMD Overdrive and that this incompatibility causes very severe issues on many systems - change the memory clock in any direction via Overdrive or similar and your system becomes a volatile powder keg ready to go boom each time the separate UVD clocks are triggered.

13. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    I'm not sure if this relates but my clocks keep doing this when watching flash on FF. HW accelerate off.

http://i.imgur.com/66RDe6f.png

Its really weird. Does not seem to cause issues.

14. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Pretty dead thread now, I see, but it looks like the 290 series do NOT use these UVD clocks anymore. No more downclocking of memory when using youtube. Either 150 hz or whatever speed you specify in CCC or Afterburner. 144 hz monitors seem locked to the overdrive/AB set ram speed instead of 150 MHz, but won't downclock anymore to "stock" speeds, which the older cards did on UVD (which would trigger the scrambled screen).

15. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Now who wants my 7950 in exchange for 290 :D
    Glad that amd finally moved away from that horrible decision (excuse me, "feature").

ps: Do you see all green when using youtube with hw acceleration on? This is something new to me, probably beta8 drivers or something, but just another problem.

16. wazer

wazer Member

GPU:
    1080TI on water
    I can tell this still persist in 290x cards i have those annoying problems, i think we should all report this issue to amd with ref link, what do you guys think?.

17. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

It should only occur if the GPU memory clocks shift in any way. With a reference card at reference clocks, this shouldn't be a problem at all.

Some OEMs sell factory-overclocked cards without adjusting the PowerPlay clocks (silly GIGABYTE and XFX; probably others; my factory-oc MSI card keeps reference memory clocks), which makes this more apparent.

Generally speaking though, since it only occurs in overclocked-situations, complaining to AMD might not really accomplish much, since overclocking isn't supported afaik. And in the case of factory-overclocked cards, it's the OEM's fault.

As for potential fixes:

- Disable PowerPlay
    - Acquire or mod a BIOS with the GPU memory in PowerPlay clocks matching overclocked-value
    - Disable hardware-accelerated video decoding (it's off by-default with Chrome's PPAPI flash; you can keep hardware-accelerated video rendering enabled)

18. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    AMD Overdrive 4.3.1 released

Download and release notes can be found here:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/amd-overdrive/Pages/overview.aspx

19. freibooter

freibooter Active Member

GPU:
    @Watcher

WTF? This could hardly have less relevance to the problem discussed in this thread.

20. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    I took a look at the title of the thread and thought it was in reference to someone using AMD overdrive and having issues with the program.
    I did not read the whole thread and I would gather by your response that this thread is not about AMD overdrive.

You may ignore my previous post.