i7-3820 is fluctuating 68-77c on video rendering a concern?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by CronosX9x9X, Aug 12, 2013.

1. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    I have my 3820 OC'd at 4.405ghz on idle it's at 38c-39c, in gaming it's 60-66c mostly at 62c, but on video rendering it's fluctuating up and down 68-77c I'm using Real temp and the core peaks at rendering are at 71c,70c,75c,77c and it's just up and down constantly, should I be concerned with these temps?:confused:

The Real Temp also says my thermal status is ok on all cores if that means anything...

2. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    THat's Tcase, allowable core temp should be up to 100, but don't let it pass 80

4. unclewebb

unclewebb Guest

GPU:
    VAPOR-X HD5770 1GB
    Take your pinky finger nail, hook some wires up to different regions of your finger nail and now rapidly apply 30 or 40 amps to various parts of your finger nail, on and off, hundreds of times a second. Of course the temperature is going to rapidly vary at different parts of your finger nail, before it falls off that is. :)

CPUs are the same way. There are huge amounts of current flowing through various parts of your CPU and this is constantly changing. If your CPU is not loaded 100%, tasks will be rapidly shifted to any available core which will cause that core to heat up, and the previously used core to cool down.

BLEH! is correct. Your peak core temperatures are fine.

If you equally load your cores with Prime95 - Small FFTs, you should see the core temperatures of your 4 cores track each other very well. They may not be equal, but the difference should be within the +/- 5C margin of error that these sensors have at the calibration point. Intel does not use space shuttle caliber sensors to monitor their consumer CPUs. There is no need to spend extra money on these sensors so they don't.

Of course it means something. Why bother adding a feature to RealTemp if it doesn't mean anything? The data going to the RealTemp - Thermal Status area comes from the thermal throttling sensor within the CPU cores. When RealTemp says OK, that means that CPU core has not reached the thermal throttling temperature once since you booted up. If it shows LOG, that means at least one thermal throttling incident was logged within your CPU since boot up. If it shows HOT, that means your CPU is presently thermal throttling which should prevent the CPU from reaching a temperature that is dangerous. If thermal throttling can not prevent your CPU from reaching a dangerous temperature, it will simply shut down.

RealTemp T|I Edition
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1330144/realtemp-t-i-edition

Let me know if that version works correctly on your 3820. It has some new features for the newer Sandy, Ivy and Haswell CPUs.