Quick time events, does anyone actually want them?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Omagana, Aug 5, 2013.

?

Do you like quick time events?

1. Yeah, I like them.

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. They don't bother me, adds to the experience.

11 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. No I hate quick time, wish devs would stop using them.

38 vote(s)
    71.7%
  1. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I'm curious,

Does anyone like quick time events? Do you want them in your games?

In case anyone is confused over what a quick time event is, from the wiki:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

There is of course lots of different styles of quick time event, perhaps you like some and not others.

2. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Typo in the poll, not sure how to edit it. oops

*Should be "wish" not wise.

EDIT: Thanks, whoever fixed it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  3. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Quicktime events are the only reason why I die in SP games. Major annoyance. Maybe it's easier with a controller?

4. Lain

Lain Guest

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    More often than not they break the game.

My main experience with them is in Farcry 3 and Metro LL, sometimes they're well timed and can be beneficial, but more often they break the game because the player would solve the problem differently (For instance, not stumble into that dark room after opening the door and be surprised to find an enemy there. both FC3 and MLL suffer from this )

5. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Well Heavy Rain is basically one big QTE, but still is a brilliant game.
    On the other hand QTEs suck big time in FPS games (even more on the PC with KB+M). RE6 is for example is ruined by those QTEs. Just let me shoot zombies for gods’ sake and not mash buttons!
    God of War QTEs I think add to the game so really (for me) it comes down to how they are implemented that makes the difference between enhancing or ruining the game-play.

6. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I hate them. Period.

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Sometimes its fun, I bought NinjaBlade just because of QTE :grin:

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I find QTEs to generally be annoying because they're designed to be cinematic but I spend so much time looking out for the button prompts that I find I can't watch the game properly at the same time! I'm sure that's not how they're intended to be but that's how 95% of them seem to me. Some are OK, the odd game does it well (although I'm struggling to think of a recent example here) but most do it badly IMO. I absolutely hate games which throw in QTEs when you think you're watching a non-interactive cutscene as well!

To me QTEs seems to be a more irritating way of presenting what would otherwise play out as cutscenes. It's like developers think, "Hey, why do this as a cutscene when we can add a QTE and pass it off as gameplay.". QTE boss fights have to be the lamest gameplay mechanic ever as well. Shenmue has a lot to blame for...

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Don't really mind them in moderation. Think the last TR game had about as much as I would tolerate tbh.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That is the very reason I did not buy that game. I played the demo but found the constant QTEs, which meant I couldn't watch the game properly, to be a massive distraction. At no point did the numerous analogue stick movements and button prompts feel like they "fitted" the game. Everything felt unnatural and forced, whereas a normal control method plus non-interactive cutscenes would have made the game at least viewable for me! I know Heavy Rain was heavily (no pun intended) praised but I personally felt it was overrated. It was about as interactive as those old Space Ace/Dragon's Lair coin-ops IMO.

12. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I'm playing tomb raider now and some of the QTE's are awful, the button prompt is often at the bottom of the screen while the shrinking circle that tells you when to press is in the middle.

They're also bloody constant.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    actually, coming to think of this, I think I mind QTE less in slower paced games (Heavy Rain, Fahrenheit etc) but find them more irritating in action games. In slower paced games they bring some life to the slow paced proceedings which works for me.

14. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    @Darren Hodgson you do have a point that concentrating on the next button icon to show and you to push the button can be so consuming that you cannot see what is going on in the game. In Heavy Rain I did have that problem in the begging, but I got used to it with time and enjoyed it. Also at least half the time it is not about pressing buttons quickly, but more of "press many buttons at once" so you have time to watch the game and not the icons. As eclap sad QTEs are better suited for slower games and I agree that they are more of pain in the ass in action games where you actually have the game play mechanics to control things yourself.

15. Era

Era Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680OC
    QTE for me feels like the devs are taking the easy way out. They want to make it epic/put extra focus or whatever on a scene but instead of designing the game/environment/map/whatever to convey that they instead break immersion by making it a QTE.

Instead of having a challenging moment in the game it become easier than writing this post as all you have to do is hit space when the screen tells you to.

If Half-Life was done today there'd be a QTE every time you go through a bend in an air duct and there's a head crab jumping for your face. It'd be awful.

16. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    BF3 SP is ruined by this. :p

17. StannieDum

StannieDum Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
    I think you should have left it as it was, because 'WISE' devs WOULD stop using them! ;)

Voted 'No'. Hate, them, loath them and detest them. They are just annoying button mashing rubbish. Totally unnecessary, pointless and not gameplay. In fact I won't buy a game that's known to have them.

18. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I don't like them either, they feel cheap and gimmicky. There is no skill involved there, just button mashing

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Not liking those events at all, break up the game somehow.

20. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    QTE's played a major role in destroying my experience of Far Cry 3. I will never buy a game structured like FC3 ever again. The little QTE's are only the tip of the iceberg. In FC3 there are also entirely scripted "battles" that you cannot modify either. You are told what to do and when. FC3 begins with a never-ending overkill of boring, mindless "activities" and ends with mindless cut scenes where the player has no control over what happens beyond pressing certain keys on que.

Of course anyone who finds finger-painting to be a challenge will likely find FC3 to be right up their alley!