Need some advice - been away from the hardware world for awhile

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Merton, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    I think one of the last things I need to decide on is a heatsink. Any suggestions?

2. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    Since you're not going to overclock, you can just go with any of the $30-$50 heatsinks...like a coolermaster hyper 212 or something to that effect....or get a Noctua, though they are on the more expensive side, especially if you're not going to OC.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I second the Hyper 212 get the EVO version as it performs the best.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    if your getting a ht 4770k get something a little beefier than them coolers

5. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    So after a long week of work, I final had some time to do serious research and hardware comparison yesterday. It looks like this will be my build, minus a heatsink. Still looking which one to get.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz LGA 1150 Quad-Core Desktop Processor
    • MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX Intel Motherboard
    • RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
    • GPU: MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 760 N760 TF 2GD5/OC Video Card
    • PSU: CORSAIR HX series HX650 650W Power Supply
    • STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive
    • STORAGE: 1TB Seagate HD
    • CASE: Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Computer Case

After all of the rebates and combo deals from newegg, this is going to come in just under $1200.

Any last minute thoughts? I think I am going to order later today.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Asus Z87 Deluxe is a better choice. Like you said before "I am looking for quality and stability."

And this deluxe is very high quality (cooling, PWM/VRM, mosfets), for example Asus Z87-Pro has standard PWM/mosfets.

Also get 770GTX instead it will be a little faster, imo personal pick atm would be (custom) 780GTX more future proof or custom AMD 7970Ghz since its very cheap. But then again AMD will release 9000 series around October and I bet there will be a price drop by nv 700 series.

And get 2133mhz ram CL9 if you can, Haswell really likes this 2133 cpu:ram multi a lot.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  7. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    I upgraded the ram to GSkill snipers for an additional $30.

The 770gtx is over $100 more than the 760. Like I said earlier, I maybe game a handful of days per month, so I am not sure that is worth the additional $140+.

The Asus Z87 Deluxe raises the price quite a bit because newegg has a really cheap combo with the gigabyte mobo and PSU that I wanted.

I want quality and stability, but for someone that doesn't over clock, is the Asus Z87 really going to give me a lot more than the Gigabyte?

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok,

That GigaByte UP4 is ok although Asus Delux has better parts., and by gigabyte UEFI can overvolt cpuv at auto setting, if you get GB pay attention to voltage (1.050v is enough at stock)..

Abut cooling, it depends AIO water cooling is ok but dont get h80i, h100i, h80, h100 all these can be buggy and have pump issues.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  9. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    I ended up making the purchase last night. I'll report back once I get everything and get it up and running.

Thanks again, everybody, for all of the input!

10. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    Looks like a solid build, should be good for another 5 years for you.

11. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Hey, I just wanted to report back and say that this rig is awesome!

The Corsair case that I purchased has to be one of the nicest cases I have ever owned. The cable management built into it is AWESOME. I am super picky when it comes to cable management, and I have zero complaints about this case.

The system boots up so incredibly fast. I can't remember the exact count, but it was literally 5 to 7 seconds, including the BIOS post screen.

I am not a big gamer, but I have been able to run pretty much every game I own on "ultra" settings. I don't have many new games, but the new splinter cell came with one of the parts I bought, and that is running great.

Overall, I am incredibly happy. Thanks again for all of the help gurus!

12. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Congrats. Another happy member. This is what Guru3D forums is all about.. ;)

Enjoy your new rig. :thumbup:

13. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    Glad it works for you, enjoy!