Creative Sound Blaster Z Series

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by IanM, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Doesn't work too nicely in that case... By the way, I'm quite sure that using the EQ to lower the volume is not probably optimal from sound quality point of view.

@eclap
    ACM would allow better control. I.e. use 10% or less in windows, that would allow nice range when using ACM. Although... Indeed it does not help because ACM is unusable if the windows volume is too high because near zero there is balance issues and moving the knob tiny bit can cause large gain in volume.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Oh, I thought ACM controlled the Windows volume.

3. MarkosDL

MarkosDL Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6750XT Dual OC
    Yes i installed the latest drivers and as far as i can tell i have plugged the headphones correctly. Also it doesnt recognise the microphone of my headset (shows it as unplugged). What do you mean ''headphone out not line out''? (sorry if noob question)

Turns out i was a bigger loser/noob than i thought as i had indeed plugged it into the wrong ports. Sorry for bothering you and wasting your time

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    There's a specific output for headphones on the Z series.

5. MarkosDL

MarkosDL Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6750XT Dual OC
    i just edited my previous post lol i had indeed in my hurry to get it working (wanted to leave for work) plugged it into the wrong ports so when i switched to headphones it didnt work lol Sorry for wasting your time.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Lol, no worries

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Has anyone found a way to add a script or something where you can use a hotkey to change between speakers/headphones with these cards?

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It's just cable extension with volume adjust and microphone. ;) It works with any device. It's quite handy in this case.

9. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    Guys, I fixed the problem with the headphone amp gain on the Soundblaster Z being deadly. Scroll up to my older post for the edit. It was the PCIE slot overvolting the card , and based on the research I did while googling this problem, lots of people are affected.

10. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    What did you change in your BIOS?

11. glfi

glfi Member

GPU:
    R290
    I now own the Asus Phoebus sound card, I thought I change it to the Creative ZXR. Does it make sense? Will the audio quality improve?

I am afraid that Creative ZXR cannot drive Beyerdynamic T1 headphones properly because they are 600ohm headphones. I mainly play games and listen music (FLAC).

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I wouldn't really do that, unless you can test the ZxR first and if you like it, get it without losing money. From what I understand, the ZxR struggles to drive 600ohm headphones properly, not sure if that's been fixed in newer revisions or not. But, if you can sell your phoebus for the same amount as the ZxR costs, and can return the ZxR if you don't like it, try it. But I highly doubt you'll get much more out of a ZxR.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    ah, I knew something must've been iffy there because what you were describing sounded a bit weird. glad you got it fixed. And yeah, I've been running the Headphone out since day one :)

Just read your edit, yeah, I'm running my Z from the small PciE slot too, maybe that's why I never had problems? Yo Anarion, worth checking out if you're having too much volume.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    No idea how to do that... Can't stuff it anywhere else. My brothers Zx has same volume output and he has different mobo and PSU.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    is the PciE slot above the gpu taken? that's where mine is installed.

16. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    absolutely nothing, there were no settings to control the PCIE slots voltages invididually, and there was no indication anywhere that the 8x pcie slot was overvolting the card -- the soundblaster Z box indicated that the card is compatible with any type of PCIE slot 1x,4x, 8x etc, , but i just thought i'd try my luck with a different slot and it worked

17. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    cool yeah, I moved the sound blaster Z from the 2nd large GPU slot (PCIE 8x) to the small 1x PCIE located just above the 16x GPU, so that the sound card is very close to the GPU now, whats weird is , the documention of the card says any slot is fine! I"m just glad I was able to catch the problem before my headphone or card blew up

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It's the top slot, 1x. Can't put it in any other place. My case is totally stuffed and a mess. I'm also considering getting external raid case to help with cable hell.

19. SOLLERHOLLER

SOLLERHOLLER Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
    i love creative stuff!!! but it is pricey here :( i don't know what it is like there?

20. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -