Need some advice - been away from the hardware world for awhile

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Merton, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Gurus,

My current rig has suited me fine for several years (I think 6?) because my gaming has exponentially decreased in the last several years. I now primarily use my computer for software development and web browsing. I do like to game, and I am intrigued by BF4, but I maybe play games a handful of days per month.

I have been thinking about upgrading for awhile, but I really had no reason to. Like I said, I rarely play games or do anything crazy CPU intensive.

I know the Haswell stuff came out last month (I think that was last month?). I have been reading the forums the past couple of days, and it seems like that is the way to go. However, I noticed a lot of people recommending builds that are ideal for overclocking. I am not really interested in overclocking, and just want a solid and stable build.

The questions I have (assuming I want Haswell, 4770K):
    1. What is a good choice for a mobo for someone that doesn't need a ton of overclocking options? I am looking for quality and stability.
    2. What is the best RAM go with? I seriously have no idea what is even available now. Again, remember overclocking is not a priority.

If I did decide to upgrade, my budget is around $1000-$1200.

I am still debating if I want to spend the money and upgrade. The geek in me says "yes, totally do it", but the rational side of me says, "yeah, your rig is outdated, but it works for what you use it for."

As always, thanks for any help or guidance you can provide. It is much appreciated!

2. SOLLERHOLLER

SOLLERHOLLER Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
    dude if u have the cash go for it haswell is awesome!!! :) and get yourself a decent board u sorted :) i think it may cost u more than that for those chips check with where ever u buying from? 1200 dollars can get u a decent system just check with pricing :)

3. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Besides those "weird" PSU requirements the ONLY difference between a IB and Haswell build is just 2 things. The CPU and Mobo used. All else are exactly the same between both builds.

Just taking NewEgg as an example since our member is from the US. Going from a 3770k()/GB-Z77-UD3H() to a 4770k()/GB-Z87-UD3H() will cost you MORE. Yeap. Just more.

The rest of the build parts I assume it will be the same besides the PSU requirements for Haswell. I havent read on the subject since its first came out some it might be fixed or something by now.

Not taking account discounts, offers, used parts or rare good deals you can find on some IB CPU's mobo's.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  4. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    After looking at my budget, I think I am going to upgrade. Does anyone have motherboard and RAM recommendations? I'm not looking to overclock, I just want something fast and stable. Looking at going with a Haswell 4770k.

5. SOLLERHOLLER

SOLLERHOLLER Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
    the best ram u can get i think now is G Skill? but for ram that works well get Kingston either value or Hyper X also depends on the speed u want? as far boards go either a decent Asus if u can find one or i think Intel? look around u may even find a good ASrock for sale for a good price :)

6. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Is DDR3 2400 my best bang for buck? I am going to purchase 8GB.

I've been looking on newegg, and I see some G.Skill Trident 2400s for less than $100. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231587)

7. SOLLERHOLLER

SOLLERHOLLER Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
    u can try it but i suggest asking someone who has it?

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Rated voltage is a bit high on that one I would look for say 2133 at 1.5-1.6V and maybe CL9. G-Skill is one of the best brands available. With the lower voltage and tighter stock timings gives you headroom for a higher overclock.

9. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    What if I am not looking to overclock?

I used to be a big gamer and was all about overclocking, but now that I am just a lowly software developer, stability is most important to me. Of course I still want performance, I am just not too concerned about overclocking.

10. SOLLERHOLLER

SOLLERHOLLER Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
    then look at kingston if u don't want to overclock cause it is stable and decent?

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Anything over 1600 on DDR3 is overclocked the RAM OP posted will default to 1600 when he installs it there are XMP (extreme memory profiles) that are factory overclock timings and voltages to get the RAM to run at the rated speed but just remember anything over 1600 on DDR3 is basically overclocked.

12. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Thanks for the info! I told you I've been out of the hardware world for awhile. :D

If there are these default XMP profiles where I can just select one thing and it will work (...hahahaha, that never happens...), I don't mind overclocking that way. I just have no time anymore to manually adjust voltages and running tests to make sure everything is stable. It is not that that doesn't interest me, I just have no time to do that anymore.

13. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    So I've put together a bunch of items. Things I am looking for still:
    1. heatsink
    2. PSU
    3. Case (looking for something modern, with good airflow)

I haven't even looked at heatsinks yet. Is there a "go-to" for the haswell cpus? Again, I am not looking to overclock, but I am not sure how well the stock heatsinks work.

For a PSU, I know I need to get a haswell certified one. I was looking at 750w CX Corsair (modular) PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139051

I don't think I need 750w, but I can't find any smaller PSUs that are modular. I hate having tons of extra cables, maybe that is something I need to get over though.

Here is what I currently have picked out. Suggestions are welcome and appreciated:

CPU: Intel 4770k (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116901)

MOBO: ASUS Z87-DELUXE (I feel like this might be overkill since I am not planning on overclocking?) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131978)

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 (also probably overkill) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130937)

14. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    Looks pretty good. I know you say you don't want to overclock, but you can definately do a small overclock on the 4770K with very little hassle/time spent. The "K" models are meant to be overclocked, otherwise, you can spend $30 less and get a 4770 (non K). Honestly though, the 4770K should be able to do 4.2-4.4Ghz overclock without very much trouble. Just do a search of people running theirs at that speed, and what voltage they use, apply it to yours, and run a stability check. Since it's not like you're trying to squeeze every last drop out of the processor, it shouldn't take too much time at all.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  15. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    If your upgrading with thoughts of playing the odd game (especially something like BF4) and only upgrading the CPU/MB/RAM, then you need to replace that 8800 GTS video card also. I'm guessing you already know this but thought i'd point it out anyways.

That said, its hard to go wrong with video cards these days, both ATI and Nvidia have good offerings. Go for a current gen mid-range ATI or Nvidia card, 7870 or gtx 760 and your set. Probably worth paying the extra for a 760 seeing as you don't upgrade often.

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Regardless of whether you overclock the CPU or not, DDR3-2133 (or higher) is what you should get. Probably the best option at the moment is the Kingston Hyperx Beast DDR3-2133.

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    If you are not planning on OCing then I would recommend the standard 4770 and not the K and save some money in that regard. and put that money towards other parts.

Also getting a 4gb card is overkill. You could get the 2gb 760 and save some more money.

18. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Thanks for the heads up. I originally went with the 4gb one because it was $40 more, but it just went out of stock at newegg.

In terms of the 760, are any brands better than the other?

In the past, I have purchased Asus cards, but I know people that use EVGA cards and like them. I don't really have a reason why I buy the Asus cards, other than when I built my very first rig, I bought an Asus card and it worked great so I stuck with them.

Here are two that I am looking at:
    Asus gtx 760 2gb
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121775

EVGA gtx 760 2gb
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not a problem. I would go with the EVGA Card because it has the higher OC speeds than the Asus. And EVGA seems to have a very good warranty.

20. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    EVGA has good warranty, though I've used both EVGA and ASUS for warranty and have no complaints about either. EVGA gave me a GTX 570 as replacement when my GTX 295 died, so I was happy with them. My ASUS G74 laptop had a screen issue about 2 months after I bought it, and ASUS paid for shipping both ways, door to door, and total turnaround time to ship and fix my laptop was 7 days (Monday to Monday). That said, I have heard of people having issues with ASUS's warranty, and have never heard of any issues with EVGA.