(FIX) Catalyst setup crashing - no uninstall or install possible

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by berni2k, Nov 23, 2008.

1. berni2k

berni2k Member

GPU:
    X1800XT 256 + HD4850 512
    Lately i found myself with a broken catalyst installation (no driver update possible).

Systems where the error could occur:
    Vista 32bit (will also affect 64bit) Catalyst 8.x + some bad Microsoft Update

It must have been the installation of Visual Studio 2008 SP1 with latest NET Framework 3.5 which left my catalyst installation broken. My guess is one of the redistributable packages updated a system DLL which is not compatible with catalyst setup engine and crashes it at some point. I first encountered the problem when i wanted to update the driver and ccc to the latest version and the unistall setup always crashed before reaching the uninstall options window.

It will not be enough to clean all driver, CCC and ATI files in safe mode. Because also the install setup of the new driver will still crash right before the option where you can choose what you want to install. So just dont try it.
    And god beware dont delete the ATI files inside the windows SXS folder or will never be abale to install some catalyst again with your actual vista installation!

And there lies the problem one side by side dll in the WINDWOS/WINSXS folder got updated by some Microsoft update package and is used by catalyst setup routine but not compatible anymore. You will have to manually downgrade it to the second latest version found in the same SXS folder and all will work again.

For me it was the mfc80u.dll (u can find the information which file it is for u when u take a look inside the event viewer after catalyst setup crashed, there will be a new error entry under windows logs with the dll name) search for it in the winsxs folder.
    There will be one folder for each version of the file (x86_microsoft.vc80.mfc_xxxxxxxxxx_version.HERE_xxxx) .. catalyst will use the latest version so just copy the second latest version in the latest version folder and u are set again

Of course u will need to take ownership of the folders first and give u the right to write. (by default only trusted installers can write there ... thx MS)

Hope this will help someone.
    At ATI forums the only help i found was 1) brute force run setup with command line switches or 2) reinstall windows (wow what a big help)
    If you think ATI or MS will help you u will find yourself alone quite fast.

Good luck
    berni2k

2. MikeFF

MikeFF New Member

GPU:
    ATI/All In wonder 2006/MB
    Thank You for your post

Thank Yyou for your post I really don't know how to fix that problem. Your help was really good and everthing works just fine.

Really Thanks.
    Mike FF

3. berni2k

berni2k Member

GPU:
    X1800XT 256 + HD4850 512
    thx for your reply
    good to know it helped someone :)

was it also the mfc80u.dll and do you remember what program u last installed or what you last did that updated/changed the dll?

after this fix i already updated the display driver twice without problems .. heh

4. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I tried to uninstall Catalyst 8.12 today and when I ran the uninstaller it said "Error Initializing" and I couldn't do anything. I tried installing over it, but nothing seemed to work, until I got so pissed off with the damn thing that I ran the (heavy-duty) ATI Uninstaller from ATI, followed by an onslaught of DC Pro, Driver Sweeper, CCleaner and manual cleaning.

I then managed to remove all the crap, after which I installed Cat 9.1, then uninstalled that normally and again ran the above procedure, and only after that was my PC ready for a "fresh" install. What a pain in the you-know-what.

5. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    A bit late (well, about 2 months late...), moved to the ATI Driver section where it might help more people.

6. berni2k

berni2k Member

GPU:
    X1800XT 256 + HD4850 512
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  7. jimlad

jimlad Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 970
    TY Berni

8. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    I actually fixed this months ago by adding the newest VC dist to the DNA package.

9. ahmadgamer

ahmadgamer Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 5450
    I've been getting the same problem except my entire PC keeps crashing during the installation of the catalyst control center.Any help would be appreciated :/

10. OldMX

OldMX Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1660
    Do a clean windows install.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What kind of crash?