GTX670 issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Blackcupraa, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Blackcupraa

Blackcupraa Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX670 2GB
    Hi people,

Long time lurker first time poster.

I've read the website a lot over the last year or two, hoping I would never need to register and ask a question however, that time has come :(

I have a i5 2500k at 4ghz, Biostar TP67B+REV3, Gigabyte GTX670 (2GB), Coolermaster 650watt PSU.

When gaming, especially on Bioshock infinite, after 5-10 minutes I have the following issues - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=149697888 after some 10 minutes of playing.

I have installed MSI afterburner and altered the fan settings (nothing else) to come on earlier at around 60 celsius, 100% fan speed, however, it keeps happening.

Driver version is currently 320.14 but does the same on 320.18 also.

Is my GPU kaput?

If I have missed anything you need to know please reply and i'll advise you accordingly.

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    that dont look too good, can you try 314.22 and see if you can replicate the issue?

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yeah that looks bad but do as ---TK--- said and roll back to 314.22 and see if you can duplicate the 320.xx drivers have had some problems.

4. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Yeah run some heavy benchmarks if you can and see if you can replicate the error with another program. Or does it do it only in Bioshock? Also take a note on your temperature on the video card.
    Another thing (not sure about it) is that this could be also a bad GPU in general or some sort of error. Try clean install on drivers if you can.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Not necessarily, it could be due to heat or voltage droop since it happens after the card is warmed up. If temps seem O K see if adjusting clocks or voltage

Occasionally I get similar corruption after a game has been running for some time.

This is Fallout NV but it happens in FarCry3 also. Adjusting voltage or clocks often fixes it for me. One other time a reinstall of the game was required.

Having AO enabled in Radeon Pro also has this effect in sometimes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    ^^I`d chuck my gpu out the window if I experienced that

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Always wondered what "artifacts" looked like actually never had them just drive crashes guess I have never clocked the VRAM too high.

8. Blackcupraa

Blackcupraa Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX670 2GB
    Very nearly my first thought.

I'll roll back the drivers in the morning (UK based) and see what happens, i'll also run Furmark and see what happens there.

It also happened in BLOPS2 while in a friendly match :( see posted screenshot.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=149470886

It's more noticeable in Bioshock as it happens within 5/10 minutes of the game running, in BLOPS2 it was after 30 minutes or so.

I have never O/C'd this card as honestly, there's no reason for me to, I game at 1920x1080 so it should run everything on ultra at 50fps+

The GPU was purchased in August 2012, if it is Kaput and not driver related, could I still RMA it. I don't want to, just trying to see if it's a last resort option available to me.

Pill Monster, how did you get the information in game on the top left of your screen, I only run a single monitor and that would be very handy to have.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The stretched polygons in above shot is not enough gpu voltage. When the vram is at fault the the artifacts look like flickering squares or small areas of flickering on screen.

When GPU is overclocked too far you'll see massive flashing lines/squares everywhere. Often red.

I have no idea what causes these purple lines but I've seen purple squares as well and am at a loss. Never see any like it before....

[​IMG]

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Bethesta causes them lol. I used to get flickering shadows and faces really bad in Skyrim and ghosting in DS:HR. But those were all driver related

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I hope they don't screw up Fallout 4...
    New Vegas was so much better than Fallout 3, I'm hoping FO 4 will be at least as good, but I'm preparing to be very disappointed since Bethesda will develop it.
    Skyrim looked nice but gameplay/immersion was crap.

VRAM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    You have another vc to try to see if you can replicate the problem?

13. Blackcupraa

Blackcupraa Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX670 2GB
    Afternoon chaps.

So today I decided that a good clean of the system was called for (physical clean not software).

After removing a good amount of dust not only from the heatsinks of the GPU but other areas (PSU, H80i fans etc) my system is much quieter and running 1 celsius cooler.

Decided to run Furmark which gave me 0 issues at all after 20 minutes, which I found strange, so then decided to play Bioshock infinite and have done so for the last 2 hours without an issue.

I haven't changed drivers, only re-seated the GPU after cleaning.

Hopefully this is resolved now, however, I will be keeping a very close eye on this in the future. I really don't fancy shelling out for a new GPU just yet.

Thanks for the replies etc guys, very helpful. I'll update if it happens again.

14. Fershlugg

Fershlugg Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 670
    MSI Afterburner OSD

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    screw furmark, d/l heaven 4.0 and valley 1.0 and let both run for a couple hours each and report back

16. Blackcupraa

Blackcupraa Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX670 2GB
  17. insomniac3334

insomniac3334 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 WindForce 3x
    If it makes you feel better, I just switched from 314.07 and got similar artifacting in Battlefield 3. Never had an issue with this card before I made the switch, so don't panic yet :)

18. Blackcupraa

Blackcupraa Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX670 2GB
    Heaven has just ran for 90 minutes whilst I went for a walk and nothing at all, no artifacts no flickering, nothing.

I'll run some more games later tonight and see if it's stable then run Valley tomorrow whilst i'm at work.

19. Supernoob2286

Supernoob2286 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE SLI 2GB
    How did he get it to show cpu speed and utilization also, is there a program that will show cpu temp IN-GAME?

20. MrKennyKent

MrKennyKent Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    for me it looks like a graphics card defect. I wouldnt spend much time of error searching and try to go on warranty service with that.