[Build Log] Project Abyss

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by anon, May 29, 2013.

1. anon

anon Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX680
    [​IMG]

Sponsored By
    [​IMG]

This is my first massive build, I am constructing a new desk to house 2 separate computers, one for Gaming and the other as a small home server. the desk itself will house 2 computers one on either side of the desk and in the middle all the HDD's from both computers. On display will also feature water-cooling reservoirs and multiple temperature LCD's. The Water cooling of the rig will Chanel down under the desk into 2 large radiators that will be housed inside a tiny fridge to keep the water temps down around 0-10 degrees Celsius.

Rig 1 (gaming)
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3820
    Ram: undecided will be either corsair or g.skill
    PSU: OCZ fatal1ty 750W
    GPU: 1x Gainward GTX680
    HDD: 2x Samsung 840pro 256gb SSD running of a raid card
    HDD: WD 2tb Green

Rig 2 (Media Server)
    Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth x58

CPU: Intel Core i7 930
    Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 12gb @1600mhz
    PSU: Thermaltake 450W
    GPU: EVGA GTX 550ti
    HDD: Corsair Force 60GB SSD
    HDD: 2x WD 3TB Green
    HDD: 1x Hitachi 2TB
    HDD: 1x WD 1TB Green

so here is the start of the desk and some of the parts that have arrived will keep you updated as i work on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the Desk Progress
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will post more as i work on it this weekend.

2. jsv004

jsv004 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    Nice, this looks interested. I hope you planned ahead to deal with condensation if you're planning to refrigerate those radiators. Don't want to see all that nice gear go up in smoke. Good luck! :)

3. anon

anon Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX680
    yeah im hoping i wont have this problem using copper pipes will test it in the next week or 2 depending when i get time off work will test with copper rubber and the normal clear hose.

[​IMG]

4. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Looks like desk computers are getting popular now,i drew up plans for a new project a while ago but moving home and working a lot has forced me to slow the project down ,nice work though

5. anon

anon Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX680
    i got the idea into a mates head and a few weeks back we decided to just make one it turned out better than expected.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. thommo

thommo Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX680 SLI
    Would think the title of that desk machine would need hiding:wanker:

7. anon

anon Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX680
    [​IMG]

Sponsored By
    [​IMG]

Quick little update

Finally found some time to get into the city to pick up the rest of the parts on order.
    I have decided that since i wont be going all out with 3 or 4 GPU's in sli that there was no real
    need to get a the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme so i have chosen the Formula motherboard. I'm hoping
    over the next week or so i will have the rest of the motherboard slots cut and ready to put the
    top coats of paint on.

few quick photos bellow

The 2nd layer of Undercoat on finally
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the rest of the hardware still need to get in another Samsung 840Pro 256Gb Drive
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is just about everything i need just have to get my arse into gear and get some
    glass cut and finish the desk
    [​IMG]

Hopefully end of the work week will post some more

8. anon

anon Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX680
    [​IMG]

Sponsored By
    [​IMG]

Finished moving into new place and unpacked only thing left is to finishthe Build.
    First Coat of paint done 2nd coat will be done tomorrow. And will be putting the base together
    thinking of doing a carbon vinyl on the centre slope and the false floors so hopefully that will
    Come this week

Photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. anon

anon Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX680
    [​IMG]

Sponsored By
    [​IMG]

finally got the first 2 coats of paint onto the desk came up much better than i was expecting.
    Carbon Vinyl arived have aplied it to the false floors and decided to seperate the back devider
    and mount the Resivior between them will get to work on that later today anyway time for some more pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. anon

anon Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX680
    [​IMG]

Sponsored By
    [​IMG]

got some time over the weekend to get some more work done. decided against the single back seperator
    and have gone for 2 with a mini cave in the middle looks a lot nicer provides that little bit more room.
    have been trying to decide whether to add another reservior (or 2) behind and under the main reservior
    not sure how it will look guess once i paint the new deviders and get the top on will make a decision.

and for the photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. anon

anon Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX680
    [​IMG]

Sponsored By
    [​IMG]

finally have time to post some more details about the build, top of the desk is pretty much complete
    just have a couple of holes to drill for the watercooling tube and knock up the base, i had a fiddle
    around with the fridge idea during the week and came to the conclusion that was stupid enough to even
    consider it... didn't pan out but no problem as the 2 radiators will easily be enough for the rig.
    got round to cleaning the dust and crap out of the desk and wipe it down i was actually quite impressed
    how well it came up... now all that's left is new temp sensor displays (wanted red got blue) and also
    a 2nd reservoir to mount with the pump as a fill-port for the whole thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. anon

anon Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX680
    [​IMG]

Sponsored By
    [​IMG]

finally had some time Monday to get a little work done on the build, firstly i finished mounting the LED's and UV Tubes,
    and have had time to get one of the radiators mounted along with the power supply/s (one on display) and have got most of
    the tubing in ready to mount the Mobo just have to get around to finishing the base for it and drag it back inside to set
    it all up.. didn't take into account the size of the doors

[​IMG]
    LED's after i fixed the switch problem that burnt out one of the cables... lack of sleep does that
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Red Temp sensors finally arrived got them in looks far better over the blue ones. thinking of using them on the next build

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Power Supply Fit in wasn't sure how it would look but it looks better than having nothing in that gap
    [​IMG]

13. anon

anon Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX680
    [​IMG]

Sponsored By
    [​IMG]

hi all sorry for the lengthy time this project has taken unfortunately work commitments get in the way of
    free time. just a quick update finally finished setting up the water loop, and have one of the 2 Motherboards
    in. will have the glass top arrive sometime in the next 2 weeks and maybe even decide to buy a RevoDrive 3x2 240gb
    for the C drive on the main workstation even though i have had some bad luck with the RevoDrives in the past.. 3
    different cards all failed within 6 months of use.. the original RevoDrive, RevoDrive 2 and RevoDrive 3.

here's some shots of the motherboard and cpu water-block installed
    [​IMG]
    and potentially where the SSD drives will lay out
    [​IMG]

14. anon

anon Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX680
    [​IMG]

Sponsored By
    [​IMG]

Finally got some time to get the first computer up and running in the desk got the GPU water-block attached
    and getting some nice temps under idle around 25-29 GPU and 35-45 CPU under full load jumps up to 39/40
    for the GPU and around 60 for the CPU with a light overclock to 4.3Ghz for now but only have the fans
    attached to one radiator as i realised i ordered the wrong length screws for the 38mm thick fans.

The GPU board. it doesn't look like much when you take the stock cooler off
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had a problem with the Water-block Not sitting flat over the GPU so after removing the block and putting it back on
    i forgot the back plate...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some low temps should be good for a decent OC
    [​IMG]
    and finally what happens when you forget to clean the inside of your case for 2 months
    [​IMG]

15. anon

anon Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX680
    [​IMG]

Sponsored By
    [​IMG]

Managed to get time to mount the HDD's for the First Computer and had time to get some photos

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also just realised that the UV lights have stopped working but few photos with the rest of the lights on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately found out during the weekend that the glass for the top has still not been made as the Glazier has been on leave
    but hoping that they work something out.
    Hopefully over the weekend i will have time to install the Server and replace the UV lights and maybe get a light to put directly behind the Reservoir to illuminate the Blood Red Die as i noticed that it does not react to the UV light.. even though
    the containers state that it does

16. anon

anon Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX680
    [​IMG]

Sponsored By
    [​IMG]

Last post for the Build finally got round to finishing it off last weekend and the glass has arived.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    SSD for the Server
    [​IMG]
    and of course a small GPU to get video out
    [​IMG]
    Quick install of Win7 and than a bit of a tidy up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    This looks SWEET!

18. anon

anon Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX680
    [​IMG]

Sponsored By
    [​IMG]

Finally got the camera out of the desk to take some photos of everything under the glass.
    on another note ventilation is not great going to have to address this with more fans around the desk
    also the reason why the Server water cooler is sitting outside the desk anyway here are final photos
    also with the last Light for the Water Reservoir

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd like to thank EKwaterblocks for there support during this project

19. anon

anon Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX680
    Hey all, new year time for a new project. "Project Awakening" Will be another desk build basically an attempt to correct the mistakes from this build (Ventilation, Materials, Add more Pumps and so on) I will begin a new Thread with the log once i begin building until than i leave you with 2 designs that will be used once i finish tweaking and decide on size

FIrst One 1600x600mm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the 2nd 1600x800mm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]