Keyboard is going bad. Home replacement?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by the1nfection, May 25, 2013.

1. the1nfection

the1nfection Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800
    So the title says most of the info you need, but i'll go ahead and embelish a little to help out. My laptop, an HP pavillion G6, has a keyboard that is failing on me. The P . N K L and 1 keys are going bad, and require several presses to activate.

I have doube and tripe checked, it ISN'T the drivers, but the actua keys that are failing. I dont have a mechanical keyboard on it, so im not sure how easily i can replace the keys, but i really dont want this aptop to stop working because of the keyboard. I dont have alot of money to spend on re-pairing it, so i was hoping to fix it at home. Does anyone know anything i coud try? Should i look for some replacements for just the bad keys, or do i have to replace the whole keyboard? can i upgrade to mechanical on a laptop?

If there is nothing i can do then im just going to have to find the $$$ to replace the entire system, but im realy looking to keep it as ong as possible. It was purchased from a pawnshop about a year ago, and the keys have begun faiing over the last 2~2 1/2 months. Its getting progressivey worse with time, to the point where the aptop is very tough to type on, and near impossible to use for my college. Being a second semester student i MUST have a CPU, so please any help as quickly as possible would be very nice!

Thanks ahead of time!

2. the1nfection

the1nfection Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800
    125 veiws... not a single post. BUMP.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Usually ,when some of keys are starting to show their age,it is convenient to get a keyboard replacement.
    You will need the laptop model ,and the part number of the keyboard( it is on a sticker on back of the keyboard- you need to disassemble some parts to see it)?
    When you have all info about your keyboard,go to Ebay and will find some deals.
    However,the cheapest fix "ghetto" style is to get a small desktop keyboard and plug it in usb port.

4. the1nfection

the1nfection Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800
    Well im hopeing to not do the Ghetto method, but i will if i have to. It is possible then to replace my keyboard?

So if replacement is possbile... is upgrading to a mechanical possible? cause if i can go mechanical on my laptop i would have an EGASM. :p

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    No that i heard of.
    The only really good laptop keyboards are the legendary Thinkpads Lenovo keyboards.
    My wife hates my Thinkpad X200s(it is fugly as hell)but absolutely loves its keyboard.

6. the1nfection

the1nfection Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800
    hmmmm... well alas im not on a thinkpad, so im assuming it would be hard to transplant one of those onto my laptop, huh?

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Sorry for the slight thread derail.
    Yes,it is kinda hard to transplant a laptop keyboard to another laptop due to shape,form and electrical conections.
    Ebay has always some deals,you can find a identical dead laptop,but with keyboard and all components.Or the keyboard alone at a great price.
    Try your luck,see what you can find.

8. the1nfection

the1nfection Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800
    thanks man, and you didn't derail the thread. Im thinking about a few new options because of you and looking for something i can do to fix this keyboard. I'll ost again when i get a response from someone else, or when i fix this thing. Thanks again man! :)