Performance Tweaks

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Von Dach, Aug 28, 2010.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I have disabled Multimedia Class Scheduler Service at work rig (without any issues for a multimedia soft). Reading about the MCSS internals drives me to that decision. Will try at home...

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  3. Shabaco

Shabaco Guest

GPU:
    -
    here's my input for the thread;

http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/index.php?showtopic=15194

found this interesting and useful thread several weeks ago, the forum is not very active, but the guides are very good.

if you are brave, you can try what the op has done. (make sure you research each service yourself though, as I think he did it on xp and things have changed service wise since then..

long story short, I've disabled/modified 175 services on windows 7, why?

speeds up boot, login time is super quick now, lowers dpc latency, (well, narrows it down to the remaining bad drivers, but lowers it a fare bit as well) you can check autoruns under drivers to see the list of drivers loaded at boot.

I can rar up reg backups of the disabled/modified services if anyone's interested? (applies to w7 x64 sp1 only) but you can use them as a guide for x86 & even windows 8 as not much as changed from 7-8. mostly just new services added.

even if the drivers are not used, they are still loaded with windows and some even run in the background doing nothing. like atapi.sys, ataport.sys & pciide.sys, I have no ide devices installed.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  4. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    I added that tweak to my reg file, thank you.

Nice one! I can confirm no issues with adding "MSISupported"=dword:00000001 to all PCI SubKeys, either on an Intel I7 Z68 Win8-Win7 or an Intel Q9550 P45 Win7. Not MSISupported devices just ignore it and keep using a positive IRQ.

I'm not a programmer so my question now is,
    could someone create a cmd file in the like of:
    "For Reg Query [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\*] Reg Add [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\*\*\Device Parameters\Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties]
    "MSISupported"=dword:00000001"?
    (I'm sure someone can understand what I mean).

Yes I know I have to clean up and rewrite must of it, someday...

As a side note, it's important to check/tweak your routers tcp/ip parameters too. I suspect most routers have timestamps enabled (not best for gaming).

Add this to your Init or Firewall router script: echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_timestamps

More info http://www.speedguide.net/articles/linux-tweaking-121
    http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/tomato-vs-dd-wrt.27532/

You can play with those easily with NirSoft ServiWin (free).
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/serviwin.html

For people who want to play with partitions and check/correct your partitions alignment, this is the best (and free!) tool I found recently: http://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html

New kit. Remember to revert to defaults from the last kit you used first.

For the new one, run "Registry All-In-One - Tweaked" before the Netsh-Tweaked.cmd.

Von Dach Optimization Kit v2013.06
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/7hgixq

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I can do that easily. But to do that tweak as a bulk operation is unwise. In case you get BSOD you can`t really tell which device feels bad. So instead I can write PowerShell script to tweak one device per script execution. Should I?

Edit: Have you noticed any differences in behavior after tweak? Have you checked latencies? On my home rig I haven`t (well, it is very good powerful rig). On my work rig though I have experienced huge improvements.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  6. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Yes it's primitive as a bulk but if the cmd/batch file first
    "Reg Export [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI] OriginalPCI.reg"
    before "Reg Add [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\*\*\Device Parameters\Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties]
    "MSISupported"=dword:00000001 /f"
    then it's not that bad.

Reverting to default could be like:
    "Reg Add [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\*\*\Device Parameters\Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties]
    "MSISupported"=- /f"
    then "Reg Import OriginalPCI.reg"

Whatever, it's up to you, I'm just saying it if you want to keep it fast and simple to code. It's definitely not a tweak for novice users anyway.

Behavior; well hard to see difference on my already heavily tweaked rig but on BF3 everything is more "very very fast silk-smooth" (lol).

My Realtek NIC was already MSI enabled on that computer by his own driver.

Interestingly Nvidia don't use MSI by default but AMD is. Nvidia drivers installation are still lightyear in front of AMD though.

7. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Edit: Nvm

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I meant that in case of OS boot failure there is no way to leave devices working correctly in MSI-mode and to revert failure ones. Only "switch all" and "revert all". You even won`t know which devices are failure.

I`ll tell you more: recently installed 320.18 switched MSI-mode off.

9. Shabaco

Shabaco Guest

GPU:
    -
    challenge accepted. [​IMG]

btw you can disable the themes service on windows 8, seems to be a useless service now, metro theme stays enabled.

on windows 7 x64 atm, tried windows 8 didn't like it, will wait for blue update.

119 services disabled
    25 services manual
    27 services auto

179 hidden services (drivers) disabled

also I run with the MMCSS service disabled, sound/video still play fine. games play fine too. I reckon it's only useful for a busy system running loads of tasks. it was one of the first things I turned off when I upgraded to vista. xp never needed such a service, it's just another "feature" thought up by someone at Microsoft who thought it sounded like a good idea.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  10. Ozkar

Ozkar Member

GPU:
    asus dcuii gtx670
    Hello Von dach, I've just done many of your tweaks... but I would like to revert this one:

"... Boost your Multimedia Class Scheduler Service (MMCSS) games tasks priorities

Code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile]
    "NetworkThrottlingIndex"=dword:ffffffff
    "SystemResponsiveness"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\G ames]
    "Scheduling Category"="High"
    "SFIO Priority"="High"
    "Background Only"="False"
    "Priority"=dword:00000001
    "Clock Rate"=dword:00002710
    "GPU Priority"=dword:00000001
    "Affinity"=dword:00000000

Copy & paste above codes to a new text document, save it [the name you want].reg, click to import in registry.
    For your convenience you can also download the default and optimized registry files here: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
    You can edit other task categories with it if needed.
    ... "

Unafortunatelly I've forgotten the default/original values of my Windows 7 Pro x64 setup and the multiupload link with the default values also doesn't work :wanker: ...
    broken link: http://www.multiupload.com/L3G9DSMKMN

Could anyone please show me the original/DEFAULT values of the MMCSS games registry branch (Scheduling Category, SFIO Priority, Background Only, Priority... and so on... ) ?

I hope default settings will be the same in all kind of systems. To avoid problems, my rig specs are: i7 2700k, MSI z77-gd65, gtx670, vertex 2 ssd

thanks in advance

Thaks

11. Ozkar

Ozkar Member

GPU:
    asus dcuii gtx670
    Regarding to the MMCSS tweak (within the Windows section)

As I haven't previously save them, I would like to get the original values of all dwords of the MMCSS games branch.
    Can anyone please post their values in here? (I guess they will be the same in all the setups, but in order to avoid problems, please take a look to my specs)

However, it would be better that #1 repair the link with the original/default values, as it doesn't work :wanker: .
    broken link = http://www.multiupload.com/L3G9DSMKMN

Thanks in advance

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    "Scheduling Category"="Medium"
    "SFIO Priority"="Normal"
    "Background Only"="False"
    "Priority"=dword:00000004
    "Clock Rate"=dword:00002710
    "GPU Priority"=dword:00000008
    "Affinity"=dword:00000000

"NetworkThrottlingIndex"=dword:0000000a
    "SystemResponsiveness"=dword:00000014

But why so worried? Application should explicitly ask MMCSS for its help. MMCSS doesn`t affect all applications automatically.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  13. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Anyone knows if core parking is enabled by default when you install windows 8 ?

I have windows 8, nothing tweaked, and i don't see my cores parked. So it's disabled in windows 8 ?

14. Shabaco

Shabaco Guest

GPU:
    -
    7 - on.
    8 - off.

15. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Oh, so in Windows 8 is disabled, nice :D

Also, any text i can read about it ? :)

16. JamesG269

JamesG269 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580 1.5GBs
    Sorry it took me a while to answer, this is not one of my regular sites.

The hardware is what's in my User Information...3930K, Asus P9X79 WS, GTX 580, 4x4GB 1600mhz Corsair RAM, Intel 520 120GB SSD, for the main components. Part of it was I was running Windows 2012, I can never get the latency that low in Windows 8, about the lowest I can go in Windows 8 is about 6-8µs. I don't know why that would be, after I disable everything that's not needed in both and they run the same kernel, that one would be so much lower than the other. You asked in PM what tweaks I made, basically just a few, I'll list them here:

1. Turn off all power features in BIOS. No EIST, C1, C3, C6, etc. Basically lock in the CPU at one speed, and keep it there.
    2. Set to High Performance in Windows Power Profile.
    3. Run BCDEdit /set disabledynamictick yes
    4. run those two tweaks to disable autoplay and lastalive in my post above.
    5. disable pagefile.
    6. run the disable ipv6 commands:
    Code:
    netsh interface teredo set state disable
    netsh interface 6to4 set state disable disable
    netsh interface isatap set state disable
    REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters" /v "EnableICSIPv6" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters" /v "DisabledComponents" /t REG_DWORD /d 255 /f

7. disable any LAN network services, like Server and Workstation, SSPD, etc. But watch out come some of these are needed for the metro mail apps, etc. that I use.
    8. don't run any background programs, at all, except metro apps. metro apps have tight controls so they don't zap performance in the background like equivalent desktop apps.

That's really about it, other things that will help are in this thread, like disabling performance counters, etc. Unfortunately, I had to go back to Windows 8, too many things don't like Server OS versions and refuse to install, and I want to try that 8.1 update that's supposed to be out soon and don't know if it will be available for Server, if they eventually do release it for free for Server I might go back, the latency is (can be) awesome.

17. Ezreal

Ezreal Guest

GPU:
    HD7970 Dual-X 3GB
    Hey guys, since I applied von dachs tweaks from the Optimization Kit v2013.06, I started getting constant FPS drops in battlefield 3. how do I find out which tweak is causing them?
    I'm 100% sure that it never happened before I applied those tweaks.

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Revert tweaks one by one.

19. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Try this new one. DWM service is re-enabled.
    Von Dach Optimization Kit v2013.07.7z
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/7uqqt5

Note if you use Services and Non-PnP Drivers Tweaked you must do this to your network adapter or it will be disabled:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If your NIC get disabled, you have to uninstall and reinstall it in Device Manager.

20. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    About 90% of this is rubbish and will actually slow your system down. Just install the latest drivers for your os and call it a day your system will work the way it is supposed to. Anyways just my 2cents on this