Borderlands 2 + MSI 670 oc + Physx High

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by mentalpeace, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
  2. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    If that was the case, I don't know how some 6xx systems can handle the load fine and run at 60fps, while others can't.

3. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Has anyone actually posted proof of this?? Mine does run at 60fps in most areas. But there are a few locations where framerate does take a dive if PhysX is turned on.

I've heard a few people claim they get 60fps all the time, but where it he proof.

4. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Someone a while back posted a video of them playing with a GTX 680 and PhysX on high, and while they still had drops, the worst ones went to mid to lower 50's when the screen was overwhelmed with effects.

Originally they had said they never got drops, they didn't realize it actually did drop below 60 until the video was posted.

Other than that you have the majority of 6xx owners complaining about PhysX performance with a handful saying they have no problems to speak of. It's really frustrating though. This is the first Nvidia card I have ever felt burned by buying, especially with the almost full year of the stutter bug affecting virtually every game I played.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

5. playswithfire

playswithfire Guest

GPU:
    GTX670 SLI
    Alright... an update... ChrisF from Gearbox support & forums referred my case specifically onto nVidia for analysis, along with the SWK files I generated for them whilst playing the game and in windows...

I received the following back:

To which I got rather enraged and spent at least an hour writing the following back:

Ray accepted that perhaps, I might have a bit of a clue, and referred it back to the developer for further investigation.

After a week of not hearing anything, i emailed asking for an update... and received this.

So... nVidia are blaming these FPS drops on BL2 being CPU bound. I've emailed back pointing out that I get identical FPS drops when the CPU is clocked to 4.2ghz as when it is clocked at stock 3.4ghz (and the SWK files were generated when it was overclocked) and asked them to address this particular issue.

Thinking I might post all this onto reddit.com/r/borderlands2

To have spent so much time troubleshooting this and to get absolutely nowhere is utterly infuriating. I truly think that it's absolutely piss-poor support on behalf of both nvidia and gearbox to say that the second fastest available sandy bridge CPU is the limiting factor in these things - and that 32fps is an acceptable framerate in any modern game on a system containing high end equipment.

Thoughts?

6. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Gearbox support is extremely poor, so many bugs in this game have never been fixed. There was some talk a while back that they were looking into the PhysX slow downs, but nothing ever happened. Also the issue where the game reports no video memory and crashes, yet Afterburner shows only 50% vram used?

7. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    You also seem to fail to notice that the GTX680 is significantly slower for OpenCL and DirectCompute tasks. PhysX is based on the same libraries but Nvidia specific.

[​IMG]

So as far as PhysX is concerned the GTX680 is slower, about the same performance you'd expect out of a GTX560Ti.

This isn't going to get fixed as the real flaw is in the hardware design on the GTX680.

[edit]
    Also as this benchmark is for the GTX680, the GTX670 would be even slower likely around the same compute performance as the standard GTX560. I know that isn't what you want to hear. Nvidia sacrificed compute performance this time around for better framerates.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  8. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Compute performance doesn't explain why Borderlands 2 can still reach levels as low as 30-40FPS with PhysX on low with the 6xx series regardless of settings. There is a deeper problem here that needs to be uncovered. Also, what about the 6xx series users that have decent performance throughout the game with only drops to the 50's in the heaviest action sequences? The ones complaining aren't just getting performance hits, we are getting hideous and downright unplayable lag and FPS spikes. This is not a normal drop to 30fps. It's a "stop everything for split second pauses and up to a second of nothing happening at all" drops to 30fps.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  9. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Not true at all:
    http://www.geeks3d.com/20120502/physx-test-gtx-680-vs-gtx-580-vs-gtx-480-in-fluidmark/
    Test 2 – Preset:1080 (60000 SPH particles, 1920×1080 fullscreen)

EVGA GeForce GTX 480 (GPU@700MHz, mem@1848MHz)
    - 1509 points, 25 FPS (100%)

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 (GPU@797MHz, mem@2025MHz)
    - 1807 points, 30 FPS (119%)

EVGA GeForce GTX 680 (GPU@1097MHz, mem@3004MHz)
    - 3576 points, 59 FPS (236%)

As far as compute performance goes the 6xx series only suffered FP64 performance, FP32 is more than fine.
    The GTX 580 peaks at 1581 Gflops in single precision
    The GTX 680 peaks at 3090 Gflops in single precision
    http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US/en_US/pdf/GeForce-GTX-680-Whitepaper-FINAL.pdf
    http://legitreviews.com/article/1881/

Gearbox needs to stop pretending that there's nothing wrong.

10. playswithfire

playswithfire Guest

GPU:
    GTX670 SLI
    This.

11. oni222

oni222 Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA SC SE Titan
    Agree'd Gearbox needs to stop trying to win trophies for the most guns in a game and actually fix the damn game!

12. oni222

oni222 Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA SC SE Titan
    By the way the physx slowdowns happen with two Titans too!

Go figure....

13. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    Sorry for the hijack fellas, but It really didn't feel right to start a new thread over this but...

All the PhysX issues aside, which driver set is the absolute best one for Borderlands 2? (I just picked it up for ~$13).

Thanks.

14. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The slowdowns happen when PhysX is off, I've tried it on a 670. Gearbox kept saying they're looking into it since the game was released, time to stop looking at it and actually do something about it. Borderlands is a great game but after the ignored issues and what happened with Aliens, I don't see myself getting another Gearbox game.

15. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    This, I played through the whole game with physX on LOW/OFF and with 680SLI there were still some disgusting slowdowns it's basically a broken game with regards to frame rate consistency, was getting many dips below 60FPS even with like 17% GPU usage, it's a BAD game.

Well sorry good game but, uno, BAD.

It will never be fixed, end of story, gotta make a decision, play it as it is and make the best of it, or don't.

Gutting - I will not pay money for the next gearbox game - just add to the fact being shafted by the season pass not including new classes, and this not being made clear.

Last edited: May 20, 2013

16. oni222

oni222 Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA SC SE Titan
    Yeah I pretty much gave up on the game and I am playing it as is with all the slowdowns.

I just hate going from 120FPS to 0 every 10-30 minutes when I have two of the best graphics cards out there :(

17. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Ok, you can see my rig on the left here.

Before the Titan I had MSI Lightning GTX 680, and I have never experienced any slowdowns.

Now I have Titan and I can pretty much say the same, I have no problems whatsoever, after reading through this thread a bit I started fraps and turned on the FPS monitor thing, I've never go under 70 FPS with Titan, and I capped it in the video options at 120.

Anyway my point is that sometimes the slowdowns can occur if you OC your CPU or GPU too much that the OC is not stable.

Example of that at GPU is that the card doesnt ''crash'' because GDDR5 is correcting itself, but instead you get lower FPS or poor performance instead of what you could be getting. I have been pointed out at this numerous times by various users here, and after removing my OC on memory clock, and just by further OC'ing the core clock, I got higher and stable performance out of my GPU. Example was on BF3 I couldnt break 140 FPS no matter how much I pushed memory clock, but after setting it back to default, and as said above, pushing only core clock without memory, I got higher FPS then ever, and it is rock solid.

Same goes for CPU, after reaching 4.7 Ghz which does work 24/7 I got sometimes weird hiccups or even slow posting in W7, also some app's were behaving weird or were just slower then usual, and then by accident and advice from user --TK-- I was messing up with my OC settings, only to end up lowering it at 4.6 Ghz and give it a go. Result was, that my PC immediately felt snappier and started responding normally, and my theory on that is, that its vcore was barely enough to keep it running at 4.7 but it never crashed, resulting in poorer performance, as funny as it sounds.

So please guys as much problems as you have, please be 100% sure that what you're playing on is also 100% stable and rock solid, otherwise something like this is possible.

I would go for that one saying, its not always ''The more the better!''.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  18. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Solid advice Mraz no doubt at all, but that's not the problem with this game.

Mraz your at 120hz so hard to compare.

Cap your FPS to 60, use 60hz, and VSYNC, and note how many times you get dips to 58 or less, even when GPU usage is like, 20 lol or somet.

THAT's the problem.

I cannot speak for oni222 and his drop to 0 every 20-30 minutes, that is weird, I don't get that.

19. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    Hmm i gave up on this game, never finished it. I have 2 680s and a 3770K at 4.5 , guess my pc isn't good enough for the game. I don't think its nvidia though i think its gearbox, man i hate that company after buying ACM.

20. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA 3080 LHR
    I went from a 580 to a 670....gutted I cant max it out with Physx but it runs fine with Physx low / off.....no obvious slowdowns with vsync on!