GTX 660 sucks?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by greg1993, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc

Well an ATI 5570 is about equal to an Nvidia GT240 which quite a bit below even a 8800GTX and I find it very hard to believe that you wouldn't at least triple all your frame rates with that CPU even at stock clocks.

Check it out with some other games. Far Cry 3 runs very well on quads and I only ever get a maximum of 50% usage on any of my cores at any one time with a GTX460 so I'd imagine that with a little overclocking you could saturate at least most of the GTX670 with all the eye candy turned on.

Also run 3dmark 11 and post back your scores.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  2. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Guest

GPU:
    AMD/nVidia
    Common..., ok, because you like to argue, I will give you that satisfaction :).

It really depends on game, as I said, some (most) games look better FOR ME at lower settings, that is preference, not standard. In most cases, even when going with different resolution isn't a problem, because I see very well, and I don't have any complex = I don't need large display. Hope this clears up some confusion considering 'standards', in fact preferences.

Elements of? Solution? I don't follow you here. Assuming you talking about graphics, there isn't more elements, shaders, textures, resolution and that's about it, ofc there is physiX, it can be part of game experience, but in normal situation, it is same for all users. Yes, x16AF do not make big difference in performance. Those are basic and only settings you can do, there isn't any other, draw distance, and all other so called settings are just fine tweaking of those basic elements (textures, shaders, resolution).

I use those settings for playing, not for testing, everything I said is related to testing, not playing, I play, how I want.

I didn't requested anything, I gave my own observation considering this, and other topics.

Hm? Oh..., well..., nevermind...

You contradicted yourself again, earlier you said
    "GTA IV works smooth and fine on stable system even with lower FPS..., no problem on programing side (sort off), problem is in your side, whoever have problems with it."
    If its badly programmed, then there are clearly issues that are hard to resolve, yet your panacea is to just turn the settings down more.
    So much for going in depth.
    So again, how is it "badly programmed" if it has "no problem on programing side "?

There is a difference in reading as you wish, and reading as is written. Without going into that topic, I will answer your question.

It is simple, it is programed same as any other game, only difference is, that is programed for 'assumed scenario', and that is perfectly stable and configured system. And depending how is programed, unstable or badly configured systems will behave differently, that's why I always say 'badly programed' (with quotation marks, unless I forgot to put them...).

Perfectly stable and configured system WILL play every game without hitch. Ofc, there are flaws in engines sometimes, and those are fixed with patches, usually shortly after game release.

I think that biggest problem here is that you read it as you want, why you doing so, it is beyond me.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Hugo, you're not making much sense. One minute you say your standards are not low, next minute you tell us you play your games with lowest settings. Then you say nothing is wrong with gta IV, just to contradict yourself by saying you consider it a badly programmed game.

My pc is perfectly stable and configured. I can't play every game without a hitch.

4. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Guest

GPU:
    AMD/nVidia
    Well it is 'badly programed game'. I'm saying this, because I know that 90% of users on this forum have ether unstable or badly configured system without even knowing it, and convinced that they don't have. In that case, it is badly programed game.

But from technical point of view, nothing is wrong with GTA IV, it is programed well, and on good system, it will work perfectly.

Ok, maybe I did exaggerated a bit, but in reality, there isn't really badly programed games, and even if that happens, they are fixed shortly after release in most cases, not all ofc., I didn't played every game on this planet in order to know it, but if we talk about games that are 'popular', those are just fine.

Playing without hitch means exactly that. But, you can say that game works very well even if you have one small stutter in minute of playing for example, it is nothing that will distract you that much opposing to constant small hitching for example.

I'm sorry if I bring confusion here, it was not my intention, I'm trying to do something that is clearly impossible = raising awareness. Forget everything I wrote.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    GTA IV stutters like mad here. i7 930 + 7970, even at stock. CPU at 3.6GHz has been stable for 3 years here, folding 24/7, and not ONE time did I have a BSOD from bad OC. 7970 at 1125MHz is left folding 24/7 for days at a time, been folding on it 24/7 for more than one month, not a single crash or BSOD or failed work unit.

I stress test with Prime95, Linpack, OCCT, Furmark, primarily. Nothing comes close to stressing components like these.

Nothing is overvolted, preserving powet efficiency, crucial for folding.

I don't overclock RAM, and I generally don't run OCed Vram, and if I do, I do that conservatively.

As far as I'm concerned, my system is stable. Why then does GTA IV perform badly?

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Again you have it the wrong way round.
    You started the argument in post #60.

We arent discussing lost of games, this is about GTA IV, as you brought up in post #60.
    You arent clearing up any confusion, you are making it.

So why mention things which arent relevant.
    There is a lot more to tweak under the hood.

You already said you dont play GTA IV.
    You forget what you have already posted, this isnt like a spoken conversation where you can BS your way out of it lol.

In post #73 you said we dont go into detail, therefore you are requesting detail, yet you dont provide it yourself.
    Double standards.

We do mind you trolling us.
    Take your BS elsewhere.

You're right it is simple, you dont know what you are talking about, try and make out others dont know as much as you and then make up BS to cover yourself.

You are talking crap.

That isnt a reason for saying a game its badly programmed.
    You dont know what you are talking about.

How can a game be badly programmed if there are no issues.
    again you dont know what you are talking about.

Really, so all problems have been fixed including performance issues?
    Are you saying there are no issues with GTA IV?

The problem is that you make things up, claim them as absolute and then make up more BS to cover yourself.
    It certainly is beyond you.

Check the post above, lets see if you can fix yasamokas issue :)

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    this is what you said about GTA IV on the previous page:

GTA IV works smooth and fine on stable system even with lower FPS..., no problem on programing side (sort off), problem is in your side, whoever have problems with it.

which one is it then???

you're joking, right? most of the established members here have a lot of knowledge, more than enough to make sure they run their rigs stable.

you just said it's a badly programmed game!!! in the same post!!!

done

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You have no idea what badly programmed means.

Incredible.
    Yes you have exaggerated, and at the same time called other people out for having issues.
    You have just exaggerated again, not all problems are fixed and not all problems are fixed shortly after release.
    And how can their not be badly programmed games when there are badly programmed games.
    You are making things up and contradicting yourself again.

The problem here is that you dont understand enough to fix the issues and maximise quality, we arent using consoles.
    Instead you just turn down the basic settings and then come here all god like claiming we dont go into detail on troublshooting.
    Its you that havent got a grip on how to troubleshoot.

No you arent sorry, you deliberately provoked an argument by making things up and claiming them as fact.
    Classic troll.

9. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Guest

GPU:
    AMD/nVidia
    You know what, it seems that I do contradict myself, and I don't know what I'm talking about.

For all others who have problems with this game.

Configure your windows as it should be configured (I explained in few pages back).
    Set all frequencies to stock (CPU, Buses, etc.), with RAM at standard JEDEC timings, preferably at 1333Mhz 9-9-9-24-1T.
    Find good drivers for GPU and system.

If nothing from that helps, keep the 'smoothest' driver, and play around with system devices (in most cases not necessary, especially for Intel users).

If is much better after all this, but there are hitches here and there, try to configure RAM for single channel mode.

If nothing from this helps, you can trash your motherboard and buy decent one, possibly GPU, but unlikely.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    So far you havent given anyone a reason to follow you.
    Much of what you have posted is rubbish.

You havent fixed yasamokas issue yet.
    You can easily demonstrate your skillz.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    wtf??? why should we run things at stock? we buy hardware and we overclock it. nothing wrong with that. Also, why suggest running 9-9-9-24-1 timings when people have various rams with various timings?

We really don't need you telling us how to set up our pc, trust me.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Run your system at stock underclock your ram and buy a decent motherboard?That's funny :banana:

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Heh yeah.
    His answer to performance problems is to slow the PC down.
    Graphical issues are solved by using lowest graphics settings.

His statistical analysis is clairvoyant lol.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    The dude also said nvidia inspector was useless in another thread. He must be trolling

16. Barn

Barn Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
    When I swapped my stock Q6600 for my current i5, I got a big boost when still using my 260GTX, it was quite the surprise.

I was a bit let down by my 660, the TIs were way too expensive, the 660 is overpriced as it is.
    My last few upgrades were, 5600 Ultra > 7950GT > 6800 > 260GTX, I got the last three late in their cycles but they were always much improved over the previous card, I don't feel that with the 660. My 260GTX was still performing well at 1680x1050.

My main reasons for the upgrade were my 260 (XFX Black) was idling at 70c, was loud as hell and had a lovely whine when running without v-sync. I'm sure performance is improved but I didn't really feel I gained all that much, outside DX11 support.

I've had no performance problems with recent games like Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider, my only issue was both games having spells where they'd frequently crash, a lot of searching blamed the factory OC for that.

I did just install GTA IV and EFLC so I'll have to check out how they perform, back with my quad and 260 it ran fine (reasonable settings), there were some framerate issues but it only really slowed down when the camera zoomed out during high speed driving over bridges.

The 660 doesn't suck, but it's nothing special.

17. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Guest

GPU:
    AMD/nVidia
    [​IMG]

In God we trust ONE. Wrong God.

Even this isn't trolling. lol.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    He also claimed running the HT link faster than 1800mhz on AMD 9xx moboards made them unstable.....more BS since all 9xx have min 2400mhz HT link (2600 for FX).

AMD haven't used 1800mhz HT since A64 10yrs ago haha. Even the X2 Kuma was 2000mhz.

Couldn't provide a single source to back up his claim either.....what a surprise.

And apparently FX & Phenom II should not use ram faster than 1333mhz for stability reasons too....wish I'd known this before I bought 2400mhz dammit.
    Should I be worried? lol

Also advised disabling DMA (Direct Memory Access) in device manager as a speed up tweak... The bs doesn't stop flowing, it's like a flood. lol

Sorry... but I mean really...wtf?

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    so I should under clock my cas 9 2133mhz ram to cas 9 1333? that will make my flawless system run even more flawless?

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yes!!! do it! guy is clearly either deluded or intentionally trolling the hell out of this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.