Thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard, need suggestions.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by eclap, May 1, 2013.

1. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X

Oh wow, that's like $220 USD, way too much.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    welcome to UK prices :)

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I feel bad that you guys pay such an absurd base price + tax on everything. That's literally double the price of what a Black Widow costs here.

4. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Wow even australia prices arent they bad and we usually are the most expensive.

I must say the logitech does look great, im not a fan of mechanical keyboards purely because of the sound it makes.

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    There should be a Sticky Thread about mechanical vs non-mechanical keyboards.

6. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    From your first post, it sounds like a Storm trigger would suit you quite well. How's the price of this KB over in the UK? I have the Cherry Red version, because I like the linear and non-clicky feelof Reds. Here's a pic of mine.....I was using this on my main rig, but it's been since relegated to my 2nd rig.
    [​IMG]
    As I have three rigs, I wanted one for my 3rd rig as well, but wasn't willing to spend too much on it.....got an Armaggeddon Black Hornet Cherry Red. It's a TKL form factor with blue backlight with WASD/arrow keys in orange.
    [​IMG]
    I searched high and low for a limited version Ducky KB, found two.....Year Of The Dragon (YOTD) and 78 Version (7 LED, 8 switches). Snagged the latter the moment I saw it demoed to me:
    [​IMG]

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, I'm thinking trigger now too. Offers sameish features as Blackwidow but it's cheaper. Now only to find the best deal. The trigger is v around £85 here.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  8. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I know the new Trigger's all black, mine has a partial grey bezel/face, the new model looks really nice....but I think it's going to be somewhat higher than the Trigger I have. And yeah, UK keyboard prices suck the big one! BTW, Filco and Ducky KB's do not come with attached or separate wrist rest, you're going to have to buy your own if you choose them.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hmmm... well, looks like my only options are...

Razer Blackwidow ultimate 2013 £120
    Ducky Shine 2 £110
    Logitech G710+ £140
    CM Storm Trigger £85

I like the features of Logitech, but also like the simplicity of Shine 2 and the price of the Trigger. I would go for either of these in a heartbeat, but I'm looking for some discounts. (I can't believe I missed out on the 90% off Razer deal!!!). I'll keep sniping the e-stores for a few days and if nothing is to be had at a discounted price, I will probably get one of those.

EDIT: How about this btw? could collect it today. http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming...-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-11261939-pdt.html which switches does it come with btw? oh, looks like blacks... hmm.

EDIT: meh, no wrist rest, no backlight, no usb... I'll pass.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000

11. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I like the Gigabyte Osmium!

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    thanks hallryu. I was came across it today when looking for various keyboards, it's quite an old keyboard and I didn't even know it was mechanical. it does seem nice. but not many seem to be using one... there must be a reason behind it. I guess. Also, not sure if it comes with brown switches that I'm most likely to go for. the Logitech G710+ pretty much ticks all the boxes for me, it has everything I wanted from a keyboard in the OP, bar the full size Enter key but hey... I'll live.

Now I'm just waiting to see a discount either on the G710+ or the Storm Trigger.

13. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I wasn't aware how long they've been out tbh. If its been around a while then a newer board is going to be better probably. :D

14. Himmelslicht

Himmelslicht Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7970 Lightning
    Isn't full size enter key vs half size just a difference between EU (105 key) and US (104 key) layouts? Never seen an actual german keyboard without full size enter key, for example.

Here's an example: http://i.imgur.com/nJyi7.jpg

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Hm, that's interesting... all of the pics/videos of the 710+ had a small enter key. Kinda want to follow up on what hallryu said though, after watching a few reviews of the g710+ I feel like there's a few things that would annoy me and a few things logitech will most definitely improve on the future model. comparing the g710+ to say g19 is night and day, if the g19 came with mechanical keys I would be all over that, ignore the keys and it's clear that the g19 is a much better kitted out piece of kit. I feel like Logitech held back with the g710+ just so they can release something like a g19m in the future.

16. Himmelslicht

Himmelslicht Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7970 Lightning
    I don't think that's the reason. Logitech easily takes a year or longer to test and improve their products before release. Might as well just be the fact that it needs half a year of testing longer because of the extra features.

If I didn't already have one mechanical keyboard, I'd definitely get a Logitech one. Best customer service ever. And the products are reliable and seldom faulty.

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah i know what you mean and it could work but tbh im from the old golden era of gaming and to me a keyboard is a keyboard, as long as its comfortable and backlit it will perform the same to me as any other or should i say "i perform the same on it as i do on any other keyboard.":)

18. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X

Yeah, what I would really love is a mechanical G13, it's all i use for gaming anymore.

The German layout has more differences than just the enter key, and even that isn't the standard US "full size enter key" shape see here a a KB for example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201048

I was working overseas a few months back and using a keyboard with that German layout and it took a decent amount of getting used to. Especially in terms of special characters.

The half size left shift with the slash key next to it drove me bonkers.

19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Works, but you really should try one if you do get the chance :)

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    ok, I just ordered a Logitech G710+ from ebuyer for £136. not cheap, in fact I could almost have bought a CM Storm Trigger for half the price but I like Logitech, they've never let me down and they're latest software is for both mouse and keyboard so I won't have to install any additional software for the keyboard, I hate installing crap on my pc unless it's necessary.

It is pretty much the only keyboard that did fit my requirements from the OP. It might not come with a full size Enter key, but I'll live with that. I actually could have bought a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2012 for £70 today (Gumtree) but I didn't go for it because it doesn't have a wrist rest and it's a Razer product, meaning it'll break and if not I'll still have to install more software to get the most out of it (not needed with the G710+). One of the things I forgot to mention in the OP is that I also need a volume control capability. Having my headphones plugged straight into the sound card, I need a way to control the volume via the keyboard. The G710+ wins here with a volume wheel.

I want to say a massive thank you to everyone involved. I never paid near enough £140 for a keyboard. It's not about money, it's about value for money and I never thought I'd justify paying that much for a keyboard. But here we go. Now my rig has no weak points.

You know all these Titan Sli rigs with onboard sound or otherwise great rigs with a massive weak point or 2. it happens a lot. but now I'll have a decent mechanical keyboard, a great mouse (Logitech G9), also bought a AH-IPS 27" monitor and now I have a SB Z with ATH AD700 headphones so right now my rig has no weaknesses and I'm loving it. Thing is there's not much to use it for, not many good games being released atm.

Still, a good keyboard will serve me good for a long time. And yasamoka mate, I'm sorry if I went for a keyboard you didn't quite approve of, but the G710+ ticked all the boxed really and I just couldn't resist.

Last edited: May 4, 2013