Thinking about upgrading, for crysis 3 and other new titles

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by SUnSpot, Apr 27, 2013.

1. SUnSpot

SUnSpot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI gaming 970 4GB
    So my rig to the left, im fairly satisfied with it, but another 20fps on average would be just grand.

Im thinking this:

Intel® Core i5-3570K - Ivy Bridge
    Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 8GB
    MSI Z77A-GD65, Socket-1155

Any reason for more then 8GB atm? and would my PSU cause problems with the new cpu?

and also will it give me a 20fps boost?

2. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I'd get a new PSU, just to be on the safe side as your current one only has 38A on the 12 volt rail, and if you ever decide to upgrade to a better GPU you'd have some issues. I'd suggest this PSU.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I would have thought the HX850 is a bit overkill for that setup!

4. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I'd really have to struggle to decide if I'd upgrade to that setup. Wait... I decided yesterday.

Same decision process here basically, hoped for resonable jump in cpu limited games.

I, too, would upgrade your pwrsupp if you can. I bet you'd have more headroom to overclock -n- junk.

[​IMG]

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Not much point replacing a perfectly good PSU.... just wait till it blows up, then you can buy a new one.

Crysis 3 sucks btw....

6. SUnSpot

SUnSpot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI gaming 970 4GB
    Thing is I do want a jump in cpu limited games, and also my motherboard/cpu/mem combo is limiting the speed of my ssd disk, and im thinking even the 660ti in some games.

7. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Don't rule out a Sandy - I personally think they are more fun for overclocking and the 2700K is pretty cheap now, which gives you a little future proofing with HT (with regards to CPU heavy games like Crysis 3)

8. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    The parts you selected for a new rig are just fine.But you haven't given us your max budget you are willing to pay.
    Just a couple of questions do you plan on overclocking?
    If you do you might want to add a high end cooler to that list since Ivy's do get really hot.
    As for ram 8gb will be fine but if you can afford it just get 16gb before prices of ddr3 start climbing + you can turn off your page file with no problems (i have mine turned off and haven't had any issues at all)
    I would also recommend a new psu like the HX850 as mentioned above and no i don't think that it is overkill for a few reasons,plus definitely not wait till the one you have blows up like Pill Monster mentioned,you will be risking blowing up other parts of your rig as well.
    At this time i would wait a bit longer for Haswell's release if you are in no rush.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    "Blow Up" was not meant to be taken literally....

If there is nothing wrong with his current PSU then there is no reason to buy a new one, it's spending money for the sake of it.
    Good units like Corsair should last around ~5yrs or more, through several builds.

And 850W is way overkill for a single 660Ti, you could easily run 7970 CF with a 750W PSU so why suggest 850W for a card with 150W TDP?