Delidding my WC 3770k

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by loomx, Apr 16, 2013.

1. loomx

loomx Member

GPU:
    2x Club3D 7970 RoyalQueen
    I am planning on delidding my WCed 3770k.

My current watercooling system is has one of the Monster radiators (8cm deep X 240mm) and keeps my 3770k relatively cool, it will be high 70s low 80s at 1.4-1.42v (I dont run it at this, currently at 4.7Ghz with 1.36v)

So I have decided to delid and see what I can actually get out of it.

I am running a Asus Maximum V Gene, and have the XSPC Raystorm Copper waterblock.

I always use CoolLabs Liquid Ultra/Pro, I will be using Pro this time round.

What are peoples opionions on running the block directly ontop of the die vs putting the IHS back on before putting the block on.

From what I understand I will have to remove the processor mount to mount directly on the die.

2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Iirc the difference in direct die mounting is a degree or so only. That's probably due to the fact that the Ivybridge crappy temperature is not the **** TIM its the gap between the IHS and the die. Once you delid and remove the gunk and apply the Liquid Pro you should see a great reduction in temps. However, a word of caution, have you tried overclocking higher than 4.7GHz? My CPU ****s the bed and requires much higher voltages for 4.8GHz and above so as your temps are not ludicrously high you could be losing your warranty for vastly diminishing returns.

For air cooling and high clocks delidding is a must for good water cooling not so much I think.

3. loomx

loomx Member

GPU:
    I guess its probably simpler to remount with the IHS then. Plus removing the water block off the die with Liquid Pro might be dodgey... Cant exactly get the pro off the die again without killing it.

I have run mine at 4.9 for a while, but it was slightly unstable but I didnt play around with any settings, I just knocked it back down to 4.7ghz. I did briefly try 5.0Ghz too, it booted at around 1.42v but crashed in PRIME. So I figure if I can get the temps down lower and start playing around a bit more, I should be able to get 4.9, hopefully 5ghz.

My friend just delidded his, and his temps on Noctua air cooling dropped from 90deg to 70deg at 4.7Ghz

4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    1.42v would be too high for me for 24/7 overclock tbh.

I would say that 70C for 4.7GHz is a tad high. What VCore does he need? for that?

5. loomx

loomx Member

GPU:
    So I did it :)

My temps dropped by almost 20 degrees :) I am never seeing above 60 degrees and thats with my fans on the lowest possible setting all the time (Previously I used to set them to go up to 100% above 55 degrees)

Havent tried for a bigger overclock yet, because my hard drive has just died, so I am more focused on sorting that out at the moment.

TBH, 70 degrees peak on Ivy Bridge at 4.7ghz isnt high from what I have seen, lots of people without delidding are at 80+ off the top of my head, I think he was running 1.35v for that.

I have to say, delidding is much easier than people make out on the internet. You just need patients, use very little pressue, and eventually the blade will slip in. While doing it, I did think "this is never going to cut in!" but it does, just keep at it.

6. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Have you seen the vid of the guy who delids a CPU using a vice, a block of wood and a hammer? It sounds brutal but he delids his CPU in 2 seconds.

Hope you get the HDD sorted. Keep us posted on your overclock and temps.

7. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    That's how I delided my previous 3570k was easy and worked a treat :D

8. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
  9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The problem is that with water cooling, the chip can take more heat output. So what happens is that on very high clocks and voltages, the chip can, let's say, reach 90C before delidding, and after delidding go to 60C. That 30C will not appear on an air cooled setup; more like 15C-20C, since the clocks and voltages will not reach that high, and you run into a heatsink bottleneck where it cannot effectively dissipate the heat load you are throwing at it. With water, you can, so delidding would allow the heat transfer to increase incredibly, where the bottleneck would have been the paste / gap under the IHS. The heat would be trapped more before delidding.

10. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    After you've delidded your proc, are you somehow reattaching the ihs to the pcb or just allowing the motherboards retention bracket to hold the two together?
    I've only seen them held with the bracket, wondered if anyone had used an adhesive.

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I use an adhesive to put the IHS back on my 3770k after I delid it. This one to be specific

[​IMG]

http://www.shop3m.com/3m-scotch-wel...ubber-and-gasket-adhesive-847-nrnkxrzmrb.html

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  12. loomx

loomx Member

GPU:
    I just rested mine back on top, I cant remember where I saw it, but a guy had done some tests, and the biggest drop was with it just rested. Although the difference between rested and resealed was very small.

One thing to remember if you to glue it back on is to make sure you leave a gap so that the air pressure can equalise as temperature builds up under the IHS.

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I remember watching a video on this delidding and the guy did a 3570k and he just reapplied the thermal compound and did not re glue it and got some great results. Also it seems risky to glue it back together and besides the bests results were from not re-gluing and just let the thermal compound hold it together.

14. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I haven't re glued either, got a 30% drop in temps using Liquid Pro on Die.

15. angmar

angmar Guest

Nevermind I found some more articles.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2013

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    not on watercooling... but delidding is usefull only if you invest on watercooling until it will be useless, it will be better but not much than having kept the shell and upgrade the cooler.

now it's up to you :)

17. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Guys will the MX-4 paste be good enough for delidding? Both for the Die/IHS and and the IHS/H100i.

18. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    all paste without electric conductor... (as on old non-lidded cpu)

19. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Just delided my 3770k. It was already at 4.6 ht on. Its in the bin now!! I scratched the pcb and it wont boot...what a Twat I am:(
    New one here tuesday, not deliding.

20. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I think how sad it is that we have to even think about doing something like this. What a stupid decision, Intel. Just plain stupid.

Maybe it was thought up, so that people would burn their procs up sooner, and have to buy more often. lol