How to use Driver sweeper correctly?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Madz, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Madz

Madz Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition
    I want to downgrade drivers because of some problems, want to know if it fix it.
    I used Driver Sweeper once by first uninstalling amd drivers from control panel, then going in to safe-mode and uninstalling amd drivers from driver sweeper, then going in to normal-mode, but there i got bluescreen..
    What should I do to make it go correctly without any bluescreen?

2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Which version of DS?

In any case, always choose the express uninstall if you intend to use driver cleaners like DS with Catalyst sets.
    I usually just express uninstall, let it reboot then go to Safe Mode, delete the Standard VGA from Device Manager, run DS, let it clean what's left (never uninstall drivers using driver cleaners), refresh the Device Manager so that installs the Standard VGA back, then reboot.
    Did that countless of times and never a BSOD from it.

If all fails, though, try Atiman Uninstaller a go.

3. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Driver sweeper still works, but most people switched to Driver Fusion, their new sweeper

Anyways, this is how you go about it

Uninstall videocard, boot to safe mode, run driver sweeper/fusion, sweep out old driver files, reboot to desktop, install new videocard drivers

4. hulawafu77

hulawafu77 Guest

GPU:
    7970M
    My recommendation, you don't. Don't use any of the Driver Sweeper, Driver Cleaner, Driver Fusion or even CCleaner's registry cleaner. Just avoid cleaners and registry destroyers.

Just follow Bradley's guide if you really need to do a clean uninstall.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/h...l-ati-amd-software-drivers-for-graphics-cards

If you are on Win7, use AMD's own Catalyst Uninstaller, but that still doesn't do as thorough of a job as Bradley's guide. Also AMD is so fricken awesome, in 4 months they are incapable of making sure it doesn't destroy your Win8 installation.
    - I hear Nvidia has clean install built right into their installer. One step, simple solution. Guess that's too hard for AMD.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

5. Madz

Madz Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition

In the thread he recommends to not do that if you have a AMD cpu which I have so.. I can't do that?

6. hulawafu77

hulawafu77 Guest

GPU:
    7970M
    Ahhh, yeah. It's cause his method cleans out all the registry entries for AMD/ATi, which would destroy your settings registry settings for your AMD chipsets.

I'd also imagine, probably best to avoid registry destroyers like Driver Sweeper too.

I don't see why you can't just uninstall normal or just install over your old installation? That's like what, 99% of people do? Only a few percentage that hang out at sites like Guru3D or Overclock use that, and even then, on both forums, I think majority of people recommend, don't use driver cleaners. They do more harm than good.

7. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    No, DS (or DF) does not 'destroy registry' nor it deletes AMD chipset drivers.

You have never tried using it on an AMD system, haven't you?
    Been updating my parents' AMD desktop system using the same cleaning method for quite some time now, and it just works.
    I have to sprinkle unicorn tears on every reboot, but hey, it works!

No, seriously, DS just doesn't 'destroy registry' whatsoever.
    And it actually has an automatic backup system that's turned on by default that you can use on Safe Mode to recover from if something's wrong.

8. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    I use Catalyst uninstall manager to express-uninstall the all drivers including the installer/uninstaller, then, WITHOUT rebooting, I run Driver Sweeper (as admin if you haven't disabled UAC), analyse and it will delete every single AMD driver in the system. Then I reboot and I'm stuck with standard VGA drivers at which point it's time to install the Catalyst set you want. No need to go into safe mode.

I'm on an intel system though and have no idea what Driver Sweeper does with the AMD drivers that are embedded in the Catalyst drivers.

9. popeye

popeye Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    Well, I know cleaners have repaired problems for me. Also makes one wonder why AMD made their own cleaner if they are useless and/or hurtful.

Are you hanging out here? :)

10. popeye

popeye Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    After some more thought I believe the real question should be: Why is Windows registry such a pile of crap? They (Microsoft) should be the ones providing a solution to keep the registry as pristine, compact and fast as possible. No?

Don't give me the standard answer that there are just too many 3rd party software makers out there. Again, it is their system and code. Microsoft should easily be able to make something that can detect bad registry settings, dead keys and such.

Third party registry cleaners shouldn't even exist. It should be Microsoft providing their own built in cleaner.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013