HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Not my kind of game. Sucks to hear that it seems to be back for some people. All my games which had DX9 flickering even the old stuff AMD tends to ignore got free of flickering for me since the release of 13.2. I hope your bugs are just game related and not THE "dx9 flickering" . I really don'T wanna see this **** again.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  2. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    It's not generally back... I mean, I don't see it on Skyrim, but I do see it on an other game that I lately discovered and begun playing. But this is even more confusing... Because I thought this was a specific bug that has been fixed, which again, I thought that no more flashing on any game...

Since there's on some other games, what have we to deal with? Do they need to tweak each game separetaly? And if they just tweak each game, does it mean this bug cannot be fixed once and for all? Ain't this what would you expect?

3. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    Skyrim still contain one kind of bug which is surely related to HD 7000 series and possibly is part of DX9 bug family...

Until its even this one fixed its too hard to say that all flickers are gone.

4. alexey_detr

alexey_detr Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD7970
    So I'm here again, just want to say that CAP didn't fix my artifacts. It was just some time when I didn't see them. Also I've found another guy with similar problems with World of Warcraft, I think it's some kind of proof that problem is in Catalyst drivers.

I've sent Catalyst beta feedback to AMD about this problem, but didn't get answer yet.

Waiting for a new driver version and fix...

5. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Where do you find this bug? I didn't see one since 13.2. But i played only around 5 hours so far. Hope you guys keep reporting it.

6. alexey_detr

alexey_detr Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD7970
    Some another details about this annoying flickering problem.
    Playing Witcher 2 today and noted that latest Catalyst 13.3 beta 3 driver cause flickering every time when I'm playing with ultra settings. Can anyone confirm that?
    I've reverted to 13.1 and there is no flickering now. But in another thread on this forum already talked about that version 13.1 is the cause of flickering in Firefox under heavy load.
    Oh, so many problems with new video card. That's really disappointing me. I'm going to RMA it if next version of drivers will not fix issues.

7. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Thats strange. 13.1 doesn't contain the flickering fix. 13.2/13.3 does. May be a different flickering?

8. alexey_detr

alexey_detr Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD7970
    Probably you're right... All this situation looks like AMD making too aggresive optimization of their drivers. I've heard that they are optimizing a lot for certain games via tuning visual quality (e.g. cut not important graphical details) in these games to achieve maximum FPS. May be this is the reason of artifacts and glitches. That's just my thoughts about current situation, I'm not sure if it's so actually.

Furthermore I've made a many stress tests of my GPU with errors checking and they all telling that graphical system is ok.

9. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    Simply get close to any wall, and rotate camera in a manner when body of your character becomes transparent. it will start to flicker like this:

http://slayershrine.wz.cz/skyrim.jpg

I keep old not updated version of skyrim to re-test all I can.

to alexey_detr:

I have been testing Witcher 2 for long time. The game contain flickering which is related only to game engine, not to the graphics card. I have tested it with both Nvidia and AMD...

the flicker you see in Wacraft 2 is quite strange, but its not DX9 flickering. Also keep in mind that 13.3 Betas dont use CAPS, they have them already installed inside the driver. So if you forget to uninstall previous drivers or caps it may result in bugs you see.

10. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Oh that one? But thats not the DX9 flickering imho. As long as you can reproduce it it's mostly smth different in my opinion. The Dx9 flickering was never reproducable for me. It appeared random, on some places more frequently on some less frequently.
    The only game with some rare artifacts i play is starcraft 2. Sometimes is see strange lines for a moment there's also a picture of that issue somewhere in the forums. Guess most people wont notice that.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

11. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    its visible only on HD 7000 series. When I tested any other graphics it was gone...

I can say only that its related to HD 7000 series, while it was always visible regardless driver. I have not tested different game version.

Its certain that while skin is becoming transparent it will become completely transparent instead of partially. According to my knowledge this feature is directly related to DirectX... :)

Previous known issues with DX9 flickering was mostly triggered on waterfalls. There is done a lot of transparency effects. This is transparency again. As you notice not each texture is affected. Affected and unaffected textures switch over time in apparently random manner.

Thats all I know about it, and I can see similarities...

I believe that all those issues have something to do with "transparency level" and alpha channels. shader sometimes returns 255,255,255 or 0,0,0 instead of correct value...

12. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Would this issue be reproducible under Linux + fglrx + Wine?

13. erocker

erocker Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    I get a very occasional 2d flicker. Happens in Windows 7 and windows 8. Linux? No, doesn't happen. Almost positive this is driver related... It's just not that big of an issue where I feel like trying different drivers to correct it. Aside from the occasional flicker these latest beta's have been outstanding.

14. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    I dont know, but its worth a try to test it.

Its just only my opinion that the best testing has to be done on native game, DX and driver environment. Wine however does not comply to this...

15. fasor

fasor Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GForce 750Ti 2Gb
    short test (GTA4, DOTA2) confirmed that official catalyst 13.4 seems to be first WHQL with no flickering

16. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Lol... These corruptions came to BF3... A guy on OC.net mentioned black artifacts and I just saw them. These artifacts are flashing extremely fast...

Offler2, do you play BF3 in order to confirm if you can? Personally I know what I saw, but for other people here.

I'm on 13.4 currently.

I use this, though: WorldRender.DxDeferredCsPatchEnable 0 -which I think it disables something Dx11-related. Now I turned it on to check again whether the flashing continues to occur...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  17. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    I dont play BF3. And i refused to buy games for sole purpose of gpu testing :D

Sorry I cant confirm this.

to the topic:

Skyrim:
    Black flickerspot: Clear
    white Flickerspot: Clear
    Transparent skin flickering: Still present

Witcher 2:
    Flotsam forest: Clear

Not DX9 related flicker:

Starcraft II "newkirk" bug:
    Still reproducable from the replay...

I believe that majority of DX9 flickering is solved with latest WHQL. I have to re-test a bunch of games old and new. The transparency trouble in skyrim are the last trouble I still can reproduce.

AMD is currently moving to different problem - crossfire and stuttering. performance-wise its more important for now.

18. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
  19. rakee18

rakee18 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580 Matrix
    Install radeon pro and change flip queue size to 1 or 2, that will fix the flickering in witcher 2.

20. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    im pretty sure flip queue is hardcoded in drivers and cannot be changed anymore.