High temp since day 0 with A8-3850 and Gigabyte MB.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by soulhunter, Mar 22, 2013.

1. soulhunter

soulhunter Guest

GPU:
    Intergrated
    Greetings,

I have been increasingly concerned about my machine, I bought this back in 2011:

A8-3850
    Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H
    16GB RAM: Corsair Memory Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9
    Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt TX650 Power supply.

It is still working, however, since day 0 I noted this CPU to run just too hot (I set BIOS warning to 70ºC, and machine was beeping from time to time, even with relatively low load: 2 cores at 100%).

So back then (around December 2011), after googling a lot, and finally getting an answer from AMD about thermal specifications for this CPU (after insisting a lot), I decided I had to do something, or I would lose it. So, I bought a Corsair Hydro Series H70 cooler (with 2x 120mm fans). This brought temps down to "just" under 60ºC. With high load (4x cores at 100%, no intensive graphics) it would get above 60ºC (I set BIOS warning to 60ºC after AMD told me that this CPU shouldn't go above 70ºC).

I also found myself having to lower CPU voltage in BIOS (by -0.050V). Now, recently I started to have stability issues, that I initially blame on new system update, new X version, new AMD driver.... however, I now removed AMD driver, but even though graphical interface stopped crashing from time to time, I now get video corruption..... drawing errors, sometimes system slowness.... this just can't be right.

Now, I recently saw a post on this forum about issues with Gigabyte motherboards and voltage regulation. I believe that, maybe, this motherboard have been putting too much voltage on the CPU, of course: I have no way of being truly certain, as voltage "sensor" I have comes from the MB itself, so, maybe the reading is not accurate.... see, on of the temperature readings, among others, there is one that reads "15.5ºC", however, room temperature now is over 25ºC, so, maybe I can't trust the sensors form this MB.

Anyway, I was wondering: does any of you have A8/A10 APUs? if so: can you, please, share your normal operating temperatures? temperatures with high load?

I have been considering buying another CPU/MB (mainly because the stability issues are starting to cause issues with my work), but I'm a bit hesitant to buy Gigabyte again (I was considering the GA-F2A85X-UP4, that looks good), I was also considering the AMD A10-5800K CPU.

Any opinions, comments, flames, whatever is welcome!

Thanks!

Ildefonso.

2. soulhunter

soulhunter Guest

GPU:
    Intergrated
    Hi again!

Maybe my post was too long, and this point got lost.... I mean, >80 persons saw thread post, but no-one shared their temp: it had to be my badly written post :( ....

Anyway, I need, from any of you, this:

If you have A8 (preferably socket FM1, and if you have specifically A8-3850 even better), please share:

1. Room temperature (I need a reference to compare, if you don't have it: no problem.)
    2. Your CPU idle temperature.
    3. Your CPU full-load temperature (use all 4 cores at 100% for at least 5 minutes, and then read temperature).
    4. What kind of cooling solution do you use? (remember, from my original post, that I had to add liquid cooling to my CPU, and I'm *not* overclocking!).

Thanks in advance,

Ildefonso.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  4. Syidi

Syidi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780
    which software you use to read the CPU temperature...?
    try different thermal interface such Artics MX-4...

don't buy new mobo or CPU yet until you know the problem... RMA is the best choice

5. soulhunter

soulhunter Guest

GPU:
    Intergrated
    So... according to this, my CPU is burning! I get over 60ºC with full-load, with the H70 cooler, no overclocking!

Now, I have read a couple of reviews, and I found similar information, this CPU shouldn't be going anywhere above 50ºC with this cooler, or over 60ºC with the stock cooler! (but it would go above 70ºC with stock cooler). I was curious on other users experience, specially if someone had the same hardware combination as me.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  6. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    What case u got and how muchfan in it in what position also what kind of thermal paste u use for cpu cooler. Last but not the lease make sure to disable any overclocking like dram voltage or cpu OC or gpu OC. Try to test ur mobo by running @ full load for 5 minutes then shutdown the pc and check all the heatsink by touching ur fingers note down which component is very hot like u barely can touch it. I suspect ur VRM on mobo need better cooling or better case.

7. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    Also try flashing ur bios to same version or new version and dont change any bios setting and run ur RAm at spec voltage not too high not too low.

8. soulhunter

soulhunter Guest

GPU:
    Intergrated
    mmm... VRM... I have had a bad feeling about that for a long time.

Initially, fans were a lot better placed, later, because I had to put in the H70 cooler, the VRM heat sink is no longer well ventilated..... I'll try to add another fan to make sure these get some air (it will be tricky :( , but it is necessary).

The case is a Thermaltake V4 Black Edition VM30001W2Z, nowadays it has:

1. 1x Front fan.
    2. 1x Top fan (above RAM, ie: the one closer to the front of the case)
    3. 2x rear fans (attached to the H70).

Before adding the H70 it had:

1. 1x Front fan.
    2. 2x top fan (both of them).
    3. 1x rear fan.

Back then I was using stock cooler, but CPU would overaheat badly (over 70ºC).

9. soulhunter

soulhunter Guest

GPU:
    Intergrated
    Yeah, I already tried that. I had to modify CPU voltage, lower it by -0.05 to avoid this from going above 60ºC.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    How much is the vcore?

11. soulhunter

soulhunter Guest

GPU:
    Intergrated
    Not entirely sure right now, but I believe it was 1.38xV (it had 3 decimal digits on BIOS) originally, and I lowered it to 1.33xV. I'll reboot and check on BIOS once I come back, in ~1 hour. From sensors output, it looks like it dynamically varies (with load) from 0.99V to 1.33V.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Is the cooler seated properly with thermal paste applied?

13. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Interesting.. I have a A10 5800K and with a small heat pipe cooler (Opteron 170 stock cooler) i got it to read 110c package temp, 65c CPUTIN and ~75c GPU temp in about 2 min without even throttling (yes thermal throttle was on in bios) and i dobule checked it was mounted fine. I have a Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX on it now with a Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fan and its barely getting to 44ish in bios and these temps under load. Air flow is better than it looks, 120mm fan at the front and a 80mm/120mm psu exhaust.

14. soulhunter

soulhunter Guest

GPU:
    Intergrated
    Well, thanks God, I got a relative to borrow me his A6 FM1 PC for tests tomorrow, so, I'll be exchanging pieces and testing for a few hours... hopefully I'll get to the bottom of this at last.

15. soulhunter

soulhunter Guest

GPU:
    Intergrated
    Finally, the results when tested with my relative's pieces (I used my hard drives on all tests, so, software is the same):

1. His A6 CPU, full load, with stock cooler would only *briefly* (less than 7 seconds) surpass 60ºC after almost 10 minutes of high load: 8 threads running + Unigine Heaven 4.0 running.

2. I removed his A6 CPU, and installed my A8-3850 CPU, stock cooler (same thermal paste as used for A6 CPU), with the same load: 8 threads + Unigine Heaven 4.0, after just 40 seconds it went above 60ºC and wouldn't return to normal after 10 seconds, I stopped the tests.

What I noted is that, while with his CPU (A6) the cooler would get hot, with mine: the cooler was cold!, so, the CPU is not correctly transferring heat.

I installed my CPU again on my PC, but this time over-tightened the H70 cooler to the CPU (this is *not* recommended by the H70 installation instructions), and now temperatures are a bit lower, but still too high for using a H70 with two 120mm fans..... so, conclusion: my CPU have to be faulty, likely an assembly error.

What do you think?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013

16. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    It's not impossible that it somehow got a problem similar to IB chips as a construction fault. Maybe the solder was put on sloppy and it's making poor contact to the IHS.

17. soulhunter

soulhunter Guest

GPU:
    Intergrated
    Yes, that is what I believe... and is consistent with the fact that over-tightening the cooler improved the situation.

I'll likely try to RMA it, but due to the time, and the fact that I work with the computer on a daily basis, I'll likely buy a replacement first.

18. soulhunter

soulhunter Guest

GPU:
    Intergrated
    Greetings,

Time for an update on this. I decided to:

1. Get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (not because my H70 was not cooling well, but because of my case design, the H70 was getting in the way and reducing airflow to the VRM). The Hyper 212 EVO was kinda hard to mount with my MB, btw, I actually had to sacrifice one of the memory slots, but no big deal, as I just had 3 memory modules right now.

2. Get some Artic Silver 5 thermal compound.

Well, after installing this, putting the fans back to their standard positions (rear and top in the case), I'm getting lower peak temperatures (~53ºC full load: 4 cores 100% + GPU, for a period over 30 minutes).

Well, we all know this CPU cooler is massive, so, the CPU is still getting quite hot, but now I consider it to be "under control" (it never goes above 60ºC).

Of course, I had to strongly tighten the cooler to the CPU, just as I did with the H70.

After all of this, it looks like this is working just fine (some details, but I'm almost certain these are driver bugs).

19. Syidi

Syidi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780
    glad you had sorted it out... H70 is for sale?