660ti high-res stutter

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by n1k, Mar 20, 2013.

1. n1k

n1k Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX590
    [​IMG]

Hey, I just today got myself 3x30" monitors, after testing a few games it was apparent that my current setup wasn't up to the task at times. At 4800x2560 games like Crysis, Crysis 2 and Far Cry 3 had severe stuttering issues no matter the settings. Downgrading to 3150x1680 fixed all problems and the games were completely playable maxed out.

What could be the issue, watching the osd stats the memory wasn't maxed out. I tried overclocking the memory and the core without significant results.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    your going this on 1 660ti?

3. n1k

n1k Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX590
    660ti in SLI

4. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    edit: saw your second post. I can't imagine how much vram farcry 3 uses @4800x2560 ultra details and 8xaa. Acutally I can't see a problem as the resolution you mentioned is very demanding.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

5. n1k

n1k Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX590
    I understand the AA problem, the thing in FC3 is that even on the lowest settings at that resolution there is still stuttering, while memory usage is being shown at around 1300mb

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I would oc your vram again. I get gains going from 6008 to 7200 on a 256bit bus, you are on a 192 bit bus, if you can get the to around 7000 that should help somewhat

7. angmar

angmar Guest

Check Vram usage in gpu-z

8. CSF90

CSF90 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabye GTX 980Ti OC
    What about GPU usage? Cards might just not be able to push a high enough frame rate at those resolutions.

9. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Ehh.. 670s 4GB would've done a better job at this. Wrong choice to go with 660Ti in SLI. :/ Especially for a resolution that high. (Think more next time when you do a purchase).

7950s 3GB or 670s 4GB at least.

Open up MSI Afterburner and do a few runs, and see what monitoring results you get (GPU usage, VRAM used and so on), they're all probably maxed out, crippled by the low 192bit bus and 2GB memory on the Ti's.

10. Shadowsong316

Shadowsong316 Guest

GPU:
    SLI EVGA Titans H20
    I agree with the others, you are almost definitely running out of VRAM. Had the exact same problem with my 5970 and BF3.

I think you can probably just about manage that resolution if you use FFXA, for your reference here is how Crysis 3 memory usage stacks up.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/crysis_3_graphics_performance_review_benchmark,8.html

@ 2560x1600 it's already at 1600MB~ usage with the least performance effecting AA. (FFXA)

As already mentioned, get GPU Z open and tinker with settings until you can get the best results we'll still staying within 2GB. You might just get within the 2GB limit of your cards at your resolution.

11. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Two 3GB 660 Tis is what I'd recommend for a single 30" display, but three?!

You should be looking into tri SLI 670s minimum (or the equivalent AMD line up).

12. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Assumption, I don't see that stated anywhere. These could (and should at that res) be 3 GB models like my two.

13. Greyleroux

Greyleroux Guest

GPU:
    Gtx660 Sli_U2713
    I think that your pci express bandwidth is holding you back .pci express 2.0@8x at this resolution is taxing on the bus bandwidth .
    Try to remove one card and test your games with this settings .
    hope it helps .

14. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Not sure.. don't think they are. :D But yeah, they can be. Didn't know 660 Ti's had 3GB versions though.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2gb and 3gb were launched on day 1

16. n1k

n1k Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX590
    Far Cry 3 in DX9 works perfectly fine in native res, no stutter so throw that unoptimized dx11 out the window. Textures set to medium and dof turned off smooth and crisp ;)

Also for those using nvidia surround and having problems with fov, get "flawless widescreen". It works fine in dx11 but for dx9 you have to rename the standard farcry3.exe to farcry3_d3d11.exe

People have different recommendations, I remember a couple of years ago people were recommending 1500w power supplies if someone decided to go SLI.

This setup is heavy bang for buck as far as I'm concerned.

Going down the list, 3gb 660ti's don't make sense because of the bandwidth limitations, 670s 2gb are still limited by total memory amount, 670's 3gb are quite a lot more expensive, going with three cards is very expensive, loud, hot, likely problematic plus I'd probably have to remove my soundcard, and going with AMD you'd have to deal with their frame latencies which in crossfire seem terrible.

I for one no longer read reviews that only focus on raw fps data.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  17. Greyleroux

Greyleroux Guest

GPU:
    Gtx660 Sli_U2713
    Do a bezel calibration and you are done!
    Wonderful setting !