Nvidia drivers any better?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by General Ritly, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Iruwen

Iruwen Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Same in AMD forums, just the other way round. AMD drivers are pretty good today, NV Inspector is one of my primary reasons to stick with Nvidia for now.

2. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    LOL yeah. It's a lose-lose situation for some people, but what ya gonna do about it in a duopoly market (Intel doesn't count, right?)

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What underscan issues did you face? For what it's worth, underscan issues on the nvidia card i had before i went 7970 were a nightmare, particularly after 258.96 drivers. Just popped the 7970 in and adjusted the scaling slider, and it worked.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Multi gpu drivers are very good too, don't think twice about going sli if you need more horsepower

5. General Ritly

General Ritly Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980GTX 4Gb
    It's not performance I'm worried about, it is game breaking bugs. Bioshock 1 had a stuttering problem that made the game unplayable. If I get an Nvidia card and wanted to play Bioshock again, do I have to roll back to a 2007-2008 driver that was optimized for the game? That is the question I have.

6. ravaged

ravaged Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 Super
    I was a longtime AMD user until recently when I opted for Nvidia because its control panel and Nvidia Inspector allow for a lot more tweaking on a per game basis. Thus far, it remains the only reason I see to go Nvidia but it's still a big one.

Otherwise, I've had to do the same driver update dance for every new release that I did with AMD, and they've still yet to fix Tomb Raider. Anyone who claims that either side have an advantage should be looked upon with suspicion.

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Well I guess the fact you have to correct for underscan right out of the gate is debatably an issue. But my problem was that I had underscan issues in Company of Heroes, even when it was corrected on the desktop. I had to set a custom resolution of 1920x1076 to fix it. It was dumb.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Say what? Nvidia has a slider as well (or similar). It's not as simple as you think. It's related to the EDID of the TV, how the TV is seen (monitor - no audio vs. TV w/HDMI audio). The card can't simply guess how to compensate for underscan / overscan.

If it were that simple, nobody would have underscan / overscan issues.

9. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    and just to prove my point. new tomb raider drivers came out, big performances for that game, but introduces stuttering to bf3.

maybe its time they gave an option of installing multiple drivers and being able to switch between versions at will

10. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    I played the game in 2012 with the latest driver that was released then (it was even a beta) and I had no issues on my GTX570. It could be that i was just lucky and some driver sets have problems with certain old games, but it never happened to me, all the games i managed to start (because there are some very old ones that won't even start in Windows 7 or 8) worked flawlessly.
    I had HD3850 AGP until 2010 and i never encountered any problem driver-wise. Just the cooling system was absymal and had to replace it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    As I said, having underscan out of the box is debatably an issue (as you said, it varies based on many factors). What I do consider an issue however, is when games I play still have underscan even when I supposedly corrected for it, forcing me to create a custom HD resolution.

12. Dranzerk

Dranzerk Active Member

Never had a problem with nvidia drivers that could not be fixed with downgrading or upgrading to newer one. But you get that with AMD as well.

13. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    I've alternated between brands for the past 10 or so years and I can't really say one is better than the other. I just went with NVIDIA this time because of PhysX. Some games run better on NVIDIA, some on AMD/ATI. I've never owned a card that was perfect.

14. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    The last time I had an issue with nv drivers was when risen 1 came out. had to rollback to prevent stutter. since then, never again had any issues. playing games made in 1994 till present day, all of them work hassle free on win7 64 and nvidia.

15. bryonhowley

bryonhowley Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI
    I have been a AMD/ATI user for years. With my 2013 build I went with intel and choose to give Nvidia another try and really wish I would have stayed with AMD/ATI. The biggest problem is with there support or lack there of for 3x monitor Surround. Nvidia really dropped the ball especially with Surround and Windows 8. On top of that with AMD/ATI you plug all of your monitors into the primary card and pick which monitors are part of the Eyefinity not so with Nvidia infact it seem you have no say so at as to which once will be part of Surround. For what ever reason no matter how I spread my monitors over the two cards my monitor on the DisplayPort gets disabled. So it picks two of my Asus 27" monitors and my 50" Plasma as the Surround. Following the guide on Nvidia's site to the letter and still the DisplayPort gets disabled.

So I forgo the Display Port and choose DVI only and the Plasma on HDMI and then one of the DVI ports gets disabled instead. Well I spent alot of money to get 3 27" monitors for a Eyefinity setup and as soon as I can sell these Gigabyte GTX 670's I will be getting two Sapphire 7950's and at least be able to use my hardware the way it is meant to be used.

Sadly the hardware seems to be really good with the 6xx cards but it seems Nvidia really does not care how there drivers perform anymore. What were they thinking having to spread the monitors between both cards in a SLI they should all be plugged into the primary card and the user should be able to select which monitors are part of a Surround setup not the damb drivers it is just stupid.

16. Pelzimus

Pelzimus Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB
    Don't know what's wrong with my GF560Ti but it has started doing this annoying powersaving thing lately where in the middle of gaming clock frequencies may suddenly drop 50% and stay there unless I re-install drivers or reboot (reinstalling drivers easier). In APB Reloaded it constantly did it but apparently 4xAA that was beta feature in game caused it and using 2xAA worked fine. Now in Planetside 2 it did it again when I received Messenger message. WTF. Clean installing drivers don't seem to help, temperatures are OK. 314.07s worked fine for ages but now after this hiccuping I decided to update to 314.22, no difference.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I cannot really comment about AMD/ATI drivers as i have not owned an ATI card for a good 12-15 years.

Nvidia on the other hand i get no problems wether using single card or more than one card.

18. valentyn0

valentyn0 Member Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6800 XT
    Where do you get these ideas? I have latest nvidia driver and have installed Bioshock 1, 2 and Infinite, all 3 work without a single hiccup.

19. larsbaby

larsbaby Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX670 EX OC SLi WC
    Never had to many issue with single cards with AMD/ATi but in SLi/Crossfire they were terrible.
    I had 2 years of issues, always waiting for the next driver to fix problems but never quite managing it.

I hadn't had an Nvidia card for some years, the 8800gtx being the last and ONLY one I tried. Nvidia SLi is more mature than crossfire, so I thought I would give them another try.

I'm really impressed..Excellent drivers, very solid, very reliable, every release seems to give excellent improvements, they seem to be in more control over their drivers and releases unlike AMD/ATi it's all a panic to repair something that's broken.

I've not had an Amd/Ati card for a year and understand they have changed their driver structure now deciding not to release a driver every month, I'm not sure if this is true and if it is whether it's had an impact on the quality of their drivers. I do hope so.

20. Unyonface

Unyonface Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX760 SC ACX
    I have Bioshock 1 & 2 as well and have the latest drivers, and the games play fine. I started with an Nvidia 7600GT, then 8800GT, 9800GTX, and now a GTX 480 and all of them have played Bioshock 1 with no problem with newer drivers installed after they went from the beta to WHQL drivers.