new biostar ta970 mobo cant install win xpsp1

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by mongoose333, Mar 13, 2013.

1. mongoose333

mongoose333 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 1030
    Ok, been off pc since last summer/fall due to asrock mobo issues.
    Just got new biostar ta970 mobo with fx 4100 BE.
    First tried old sata hd i had on previous pc with xpall up to date on service packs. As expected wouldnt startup. So i was advised to do a repair, did so and it just gos into load screen back to green loading progress screen, not blue like it was with sp's after. Sp1. Seems to stop loading there and reboots to thr same loop.
    Tried 2 other hd's which are both ide's had to get sata adapter
    And do fresh format and installs on both, all deems to ho well until the first sky blue win xp screen and starts at loading devices wt 39 min. left, then at 35 min. left get bsod. on both those hd's . Not sure if they even are any good as they were both old hds i salvaged from old pcs found.
    Really need to try and keep data on my main hd mentioned at the start of this thread.
    So i have not tried formatting it.
    Have pics and letters from recent deceased mother on it.
    Also today i have read than win xp, now has to be sp2 to be installed on new mobo, which loses me as never in the past have i had trouble installing this win xp home cd on diff mobos.
    This cd is from tech bro in law and has multi license capibility also. As it came from his work.
    Another note, i have read about slipstreaming sp2, problem being, only web access or pc i have working is on this phone.
    I mean i could d/l sp2 on here and have a card reader to put in pc, but have no working pc.
    I am completely lost.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ty very much.
    Sincerely,
    Mongoose333 / Kenny

2. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Is it in AHCI mode? XP won't have drivers.

3. mongoose333

mongoose333 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 1030
    Where exactly would that be located? I did read something about that yesterday but didnt see anything like that in bios, could have missed it though, sorry im not a tech.
    Thank you for your help.
    Sincerely, Mongoose333 / Kenny

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    usually under boot or general settings. AHCI/SATA/RAID are the usual options, forget the name of the field.

5. mongoose333

mongoose333 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 1030
    Ok. I will look at it in a bit. (Still waking up)
    I did read in the mobo manual and it says it supports win xp.
    Then I just read in the raid section, it says OS's supported are
    Vista, 7, 8.
    Doesnt say raid supports xp there.
    Thanks.
    Sincerely, Mongoose333 / Kenny

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    For installing XP you probably want it in IDE mode, unless you can get a copy of XP (SP3 maybe?) that supports AHCI. AHCI makes for faster/better data transfers IIRC.

7. mongoose333

mongoose333 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 1030
    This mobo has no ide slots, I have a ide to sata or vice versa adapter if I need it.
    I have -
    1 sata hard drive that has all my old data on I really dont want to lose, I already did a repair on it and all that seemed to do was remove all up to date sp's. Still wont run xp home.
    I have 2 Ide hard drives and tried using that adapter and can format them both and fresh install xp. And they both goto the same bsod at the same point of the last 35 min left of install.
    I have or rather cannot afford any $ to buy anything else.
    This is all out of my tech league, so i apologize for me not knowing all the tech talk.
    I can however follow simple tech directions if explained well, and have had tons of help here in the past and met wonderful folks here.
    I just want try and get this running if possible, and greatly appreciate any help.
    I am going to hook all this up now, and see what I can do in bios.
    Thanks for your help and again sorry for my tech ignorance.
    Just never had this issue in the past. The pc in my tag on left was donated to me a couple of years back from wonderful folks here and I had no issues putting that system together.
    Now I have this new biostar ta970 mobo and new cpu, also bought new gpu and monitor, (not even trying gpu yet) as I am dealing with this install issue for now.

Thanks again
    Sincerely,
    Mongoose333/ Kenny

8. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I don't mean use IDE drives, SATA can use what's called IDE mode for legacy OSes like early-SP XP

9. mongoose333

mongoose333 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 1030
    Gotcha. Will check it out. Ty.
    Sincerely
    Mongoose333 /Kenny

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Have alook under storage config or advanced chipset menu for IDE/AHCI setting.

Both my M5A97 and Sabertooth defaulted to AHCI mode, so there's a chance your board might too.

This is only a problem with XP because unlike Vista/7/8 XP doesn't come with AHCI drivers even though it supports AHCI. The drivers have to be downloaded separately.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

11. mongoose333

mongoose333 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 1030
    Hiyas pill, been a long time.
    Ok i have this all out now.
    Found this in bios.-
    Says onchip sata channel- enabled
    Says onchip sata type- its set to native ide, choices are Native IDE,
    Raid, AHCI, or Legacy IDE.
    And Sata IDE Combined mode is set to enabled.

Thanks again, and good to see ya Pill...
    Sincerely, Mongoose333/ Kenny

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hiya...

OK so I misunderstood your first post, didn't realize you had done a reinstall.

What's the BSOD stop code?

13. mongoose333

mongoose333 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 1030
    Ok, the bsod's are happening on 2 hard drives that are ide to sata adapter. These 2 hds are just old backups i had layin round.
    I dont recall the bsod, i would have to hook one of them back up to get the code, I will if need be.
    My main hard drive i want to use is a sata hard drive and i did a repair on it, it doesnt get bsod it just loops reboot during loading.

Thanks

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What happens when you boot up in safe mode?

15. mongoose333

mongoose333 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 1030
    Checking now, iirc, it acts like its going in safe , stays on all that text screen along time then gos where it says its going in safe mode, then says it cant go in safe. (I think). Checking again now.
    Ok yeah thats what it does, comes up with a window that says
    "Windows xp setup cannot run under safe mode. Setup will restart now." When i hit ok it reboots..
    Do you want me to set that bios to legacy ide?

Thanks

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Now I'm really confused. I thought you already did a fresh XP install...so why are you running setup?

You can try Legacy IDE if you're having trouble installing XP but I think you need an IDE drive to use it.

Btw what was wrong with the Asrock board?

17. mongoose333

mongoose333 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 1030
    Asrock board started just cycling. It had a bent pin when i got it back then. I managed to mess with pin back then and got it working, worked for over a year or so, then started cycling again.

Confusion could be on my part.
    Here is the deal.
    Got this mobo, expecting my sata hard drive with win xp all sp's up to date on it along with all my data to just work on new mobo.
    It did not. I texted my tech bro in law and he told me to do a windows repair on it. I did. And thats what it says.
    Just did repair again and thats what it says in safe m try.

Mean while, I have 2 spare ide hard drives and decided to format tjose and try fresh xp installs on those, they give the bsods with 35 min left in setup.
    Just tried the legacy ide mode after repair again and same deal.

Think im gonna try one of the other old hds with fresh xp install set to legacy and see what happens.
    But really hope i get my sata hd figured out as data on it is vital to me.

Thanks

18. mongoose333

mongoose333 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 1030
    Just tried one of the ide hard drives with my ide to sata adapter (as this mobo has no ide port)
    Did format, fresh xp install , with bios set to ide legacy and this is the bsod i get with 35 min. left on setup screen.
    Stop error-
    0x0000000A-0x00000010-0x00000002-0x00000000-0x8051AA58

Thanks again.

19. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    I don't know if you're still working on this but having re-read the thread a few times I can understand the confusion that Pill was having.

BLEH! said it earlier, you certainly need an XP installation CD with, preferably, SP3 on it. If this doesn't solve the OS installation problem I reckon you have a faulty motherboard.

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah you need XP with at least SP2, that is the problem. Sorry, I didn't see that part in your first post.

You can download the service pack from MS and slipstream it using nLite.

Or grab the whole disk from torrent sites, it's legal as long as you have a valid CD key.

The ideal solution though is to ditch XP altogether and upgrade to Win7, is that an option?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013