Nvidia Titan GPU useage drops

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Island, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Island

Island Guest

GPU:
    2 EVGA 980Ti ACX 2.0
    Nvidia Titan GPU usage drops

Sup fellas... Have a new EVGA superclocked Titan installed using factory settings and all is default. Have not touched any of the parameters. Using EVGA Precision and Afterburner, I see that my temp on my card will always get to about 79-80c. Is that the default temp offset for the Titan? I have my side panel off and it's 66f in my room but my card will always get to 80c and stay pretty much there.

I can set the fan to manual, but for now I wanted to play it safe and leave everything on default. The thing that is pissing me off is that in games, I see that boost is working as my the core will boost up into the 1030's, but I will start to experience some lag, and fps drop, and looking at precisions in game ui, it will show the gpu useage some times all the way down to 60%, and this is in an intense part of the game...WTF is up with that?

I have maximum performance set in the NVidia control panel and vsync is off. Is this a driver bug, or some other pos safety/green power setting by the driver? I want the gpu to frekkin MAX out and work at 100%. I have a second card coming tomorrow and if this **** happens worse while running in SLI, I'm gonna freak out!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Why not try the obvious before creating threads and saying wtf?
    Try turning the fan up if you want it to run at "frekkin max" :rolleyes:
    How is turning a fan up unsafe?
    I swear the IQ level here is dropping.

3. TwoPlusTwo

TwoPlusTwo Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX Titan SLI
    About temps...if you haven't already done so, raise your temperature target to 90 C.

Is your clock speed dropping along with GPU usage? If so, you may be one of the folks being affected by the mystery throttling phenomenon, for which there is no fix yet. :frown:

If clock speed isn't throttling, I'm not sure what's going on; could just tell you to DL the newest Beta drivers, maybe one of the more experienced folks around here could figure it out.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Turn the temp threshold up, turn the fan speed up (as Mufflore suggested)....increase the power limit....

Why are you using both eVGA Precision AND Afterburner? They're the same software....you should only be running 1 such app...

5. Island

Island Guest

GPU:
    2 EVGA 980Ti ACX 2.0
    I know the programs are the same with different skins...I use them both individually to make sure the readings were the same. I understand the temp setting and the manual fan setting to offset heat, of course. I guess I should have been more specific. My issue is that, when the gpu useage drops into the 60's, The card is not throttling, as the core is still at the boost speed....I would assume that if the card was limiting itself due to temp, the core speed would throttle along with gpu useage? That is my question. Sorry for not being more clear.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Try
    turning
    the
    fan
    up.

If it doesnt work, you can move onto some of the other things that have been mentioned that you also havent tried.

If you send me the card, I can make sure it works ok.
    I'll only charge £50 :p

7. Island

Island Guest

GPU:
    2 EVGA 980Ti ACX 2.0
    I will try the manual fans and see if it helps...

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    GPU usage dropping, without the card throttling is generally due to "bugs"....either in the driver or the game....or the graphics card being bottlenecked.

9. Island

Island Guest

GPU:
    2 EVGA 980Ti ACX 2.0
    Thanks for this reply. The game I was playing was Hawken, which is a specific game designed for PhysX use by NVidia, so I would assume they would have made sure to implement game software/driver cohesion

I will try different games though and make sure the gpu usage/non throttling issue is not game specific. I will test and reply later. Thanks again

10. TwoPlusTwo

TwoPlusTwo Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX Titan SLI
    I am using default fans and not having any issues with my Titans.

Are you using the 314.14 Beta drivers? If not, I'd suggest DLing them.