PhysX Coming to AMD, but only for PS4

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Valagard, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Valagard

Valagard Guest

2. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    That's three!

3. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    funny thing is the PhysX hardware is powered by NVidia not amd radeon gpu. so its still NVidia hehehe, you know what this means port ps4 games will have 100 percent PhysX support on desktop gpu's too bad only GeForce hardware can use it while radeon user stuck without it lol

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Didn't GPU's exist before 1999? Not according to Nvidia who claim they invented it in 1999 according to that article. They also claim in the article that Physx can work on Nvidia hardware only, yet the article is about PS4 that doesn't have Nvidia hardware!...

Nvidia are the claimed 'coiners' of the term 'GPU', they weren't the actual inventor of it.

If tomorrow I go and build a hybrid car and call it a 'Personal Transportation Device', I didn't event the PTD, I just came up with a term to describe something that already exists. Hey everyone! PTD's did not exist before I invented it, I just revolutionised world travel, I'll be rich!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013

5. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    prolly its got a cheap NVidia gpu that do PhysX? they can just put a 9800 gt or 8800 gt and still a powerful PhysX hardware just for PhysX rendering. or maybe an NVidia PhysX hardware was already embedded on the motherboard it self?

6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    What's the bad spot on this, they still have the largest marketplace on pc gpu and they have overall biggest success on their product line. I can't imagine what would happen if AMD didn't decide to involve with ps4/xbox infinite loop. Sometimes is easier to decide which company has the strength, it's like comparing intel with amd on cpu department. Nvidia do whatever they want to, for years they do not have serious competition, especially when ati died and revived as amd's left hand, was the doomsday for them.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I edited my previous post to clarify the 1999 GPU invention comment.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Title is misleading as hell and apparently no one actually read the article. No where does it say that PhysX is being accelerated on the GPU. They are just release the SDK so devs can tie it into their games. 360 had PhysX and that has an AMD GPU, this is no different.

9. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    I doesn't say anything about it being hardware accelerated on the PS4.

10. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Except whenever asked, Nvidia keeps saying CPU can't do PhysX

They also say it can't run on AMD GPU's

So apparently the 360 runs on MAGIC!

11. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Physics can be done on cpu lol like HAVOC Physics.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What the hell are you talking about. Show me one place where Nvidia said the CPU can't do PhysX? It does PhysX all the time on multiple titles. If you're referring to the advanced effects, it's a value-add for their cards and the only thing they said was that it would run poorly on the CPU.

Look I'm all for ragging on Nvidia about PhysX because in my opinion they should port it over to OpenCL or DirectCompute and build a solid open library so everyone can take advantage. But this thread is filled with misinformation.

13. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    +1.

PhysX runs on all PCs and major consoles. NVIDIA cards are required only for GPU acceleration.

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm not sure I've ever seen nvidia actually say this, and if there's no dedicated physx gpu, then it runs on the CPU instead(horrible too). Got a source?

15. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    just like xbeast and denial said PhysX can run on cpu lol but just slower than gpu enabled so yes ps4 can run PhysX. if you have NVidia card and go to NVidia control panel you can select where to run NVidia PhysX either cpu or gpu but the cpu is a lot slower :(

16. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    This is nvidia's way of branching out as they are getting paid for it amd and users wanted it for free and they bought the technology for a reason they saw an opportunity. With the technology AMD trinity that nvidia has no answer for because of x86 licensing this was a smart move on their part it makes sure they are able to still be a viable company in changing times next I think it will be available for intel cpu/gpu fusion physics. I know there is cpu physics support on the software layer but non on the hardware side.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    It can do it, just not in overdone way like by HW physx..

In other words, by PS4 it will be strictly for physics calculations not extra eyecandy FX.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  18. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    I was mad about that 2 back then I had amd hardware at the time.

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    gpu physics cant run on amd cards on pc because it is a proprietary feature. created by Ageia which was bought by nvidia. nvidia got sli which was created by 3DFX in a different form by buying them also

20. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    They have enough resources and enough computing power to write software to actually make the hardware virtually write code for them for cpu layer hardware while they sit back and watch.